shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this Princess Ideal Scope Please?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
Hello!

I''m turning once again to you guys for your wisdom. What do you think about the Ideal Scope on this Princess? Thanks everyone for all your opinions and help!!

PrincessScope.JPG

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 10:17:43 AM
Author:ArcticDuk
Hello!

I''m turning once again to you guys for your wisdom. What do you think about the Ideal Scope on this Princess? Thanks everyone for all your opinions and help!!
It looks ok but I would like to see the actual photo of the diamond if you have it please. There is a small amount of leakage but it might not be perceptible to the naked eye in reality.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 10:26:11 AM
Author: Stone-cold11
Not top grade but better than most.
I would agree

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it slightly tilted?

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
I don''t believe it''s tilted? I would have no real way of knowing however. Hmm...not sure what to do but I was told that it''s an eye clean 2.0 G-VS2. I asked for an ASET but they can''t get that for me.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 12:02:57 PM
Author: ArcticDuk
I don''t believe it''s tilted? I would have no real way of knowing however. Hmm...not sure what to do but I was told that it''s an eye clean 2.0 G-VS2. I asked for an ASET but they can''t get that for me.
Do you have the photograph of the diamond please?

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
AD, is it this one?
http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1214562.asp

...from this thread?

The stone looks tilted in the picture as well as the IS (if it is the same stone). Otherwise it may be showing asymmetrical leakage, in which case I would pass.

ETA: If the stone weren't tilted and the pictures were a true indication of the amount of leakage on the left side of the table, it most likely would not have gotten a "very good" grade for symmetry. Therefore I really believe it's tilted in the picture (not sure about the IS). I think it's definitely worth getting to look at in person and decide for yourself within the return period!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/23/2009 12:36:27 PM
Hey Lorelei,

It's actually one that you had recommended before:

http://www.jamesallen.com/diamonds/G-VS2-Premium-Cut-Princess-Diamond-1214562.asp
lol! It was ringing a bell, I was about to go back and check then you reminded me! Thanks! From the photo I actually like this one, as you know it isn't cut to the absolute highest standards but it is a nice Princess nevertheless. If you don't want to consider the two from GOG, I seem to recall there weren't a lot of selections in your budget and specs so personally I see no reason to not consider this one.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/23/2009 12:36:24 PM
Author: jstarfireb
AD, is it this one?

...from this thread?

The stone looks tilted in the picture as well as the IS (if it is the same stone). Otherwise it may be showing asymmetrical leakage, in which case I would pass.

ETA: If the stone weren't tilted and the pictures were a true indication of the amount of leakage on the left side of the table, it most likely would not have gotten a 'very good' grade for symmetry. Therefore I really believe it's tilted in the picture (not sure about the IS). I think it's definitely worth getting to look at in person and decide for yourself within the return period!
Yes, only in the opposite way, to me anyhow. So I agree with you all, I think it's probably just the pics, and it's a nice stone, just not super duper cut. Should be pretty!

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
Here is the ASET for the same stone, I have my opinions but was hoping I could see what you guys thought?

AST-Princess.jpg

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
Since the stone is showing the exact same asymmetrical leakage in IS and ASET, it definitely removes the doubt about tilt--it has to be in the cutting so that they could stay over 2ct. I really don't know how apparent that would be IRL, maybe someone else could speak up on that issue.

Personally, it would drive me nuts, as I am much more tuned in to pattern than other aspects, such as color. There have also been discussions on PS about how a less than symmetrical pattern can make the diamond more interesting. I am the wrong one to speak on that, but maybe strm has some ideas on that issue.

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the quick reply Jet, and yeah, I know what you mean about the pattern. This could really bother me but then again I''m wondering if I''m making it a bigger deal than it really is. I don''t know if it''s going to be noticeable in real life (they said it''s a pretty stone but what they see and what I see could obviously be very different). I''m stuck on the fence on this one and am wondering if I should just go with a smaller stone that''s an AGS0 Ideal. My time has pretty much run out and so need to make a decision by the end of the day. Please help me decide!!
33.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Its not perfect but it is a good image, what I would term better than commercial cut quality but not up to top standards as we know. Yes you could do better but if you want a large diamond on a budget then this one is a contender, it is far better cut than some Princess you see, otherwise the dilemma is to go with top cut and smaller. The asymmetry wouldn't bother me, I quite like it in fact.

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
The best parts about dealing with an asymmetrical diamond are that:

1) with two eyes viewing stereoscopically (is that a word???), humans will see it differently than a single lens camera (hence my question about how apparent IRL)
2) a diamond is rarely viewed from directly above by the wearer, making the pattern much less noticeable
and
3) when viewing the stone it will rarely be perfectly still, also making the pattern less noticeable.

In all three cases, the overall light return should be much more noticable than the pattern, and the overall light return is good on this stone.

Thinking it over since my last post, it is probably more of a "mind clean" issue. As Lorelei said, it is a very nice princess, much better than average. I have no doubt that it is a very pretty stone and finding them in this size, color and clarity can be pretty hard.

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
I can''t tell you enough how awesome you guys are, thank you for the honest feedback, it really means a lot. I think I''m going to pull the trigger unless anyone has any reason for me not to?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 11:56:48 AM
I can't tell you enough how awesome you guys are, thank you for the honest feedback, it really means a lot. I think I'm going to pull the trigger unless anyone has any reason for me not to?
You have researched, asked all the right questions and made an informed choice - so well done! I see no reason why it shouldn't be a pretty Princess, as we know not up to super duper louper standards but still much better cut than many you will see. If you get it please post pics when the ring is done!

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
I''ll definitely be posting up pics. I''ve also chosen the Legato Sleek Line setting in white gold, hope to have it soon!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/29/2009 12:19:05 PM
I''ll definitely be posting up pics. I''ve also chosen the Legato Sleek Line setting in white gold, hope to have it soon!
Thats a super setting, it should look gorgeous!

jet2ks

Ideal_Rock
You''ve done a great job researching. It should be great and I can''t wait to see pics.

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
A little late to the ASET party, but I agree - better than average overall light return, but not up to tip-top standards. However, as it is difficult to find well-cut princesses of this size and reasonable prices, this may be your best bet. I personally would keep looking because the asymmetry would bother me - but that''s just my opinion. But the only way to see if it bothers you is to see the diamond in person. Good luck, and I hope it turns out beautiful!

ArcticDuk

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys so much for all your help. A picture as promised can be seen here:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/2ct-princess-with-legato-sleek-line-setting.120719/ . Also to note, I know that from the Ideal Scope and ASET that this wasn''t a perfectly cut diamond, but I have to say that it far exceeded my expectations. I was a little worried that it would be a dull "ordinary" princess, but wow, you guys were absolutely right about the light return, it has so much sparkle and life to it that I have a tough time looking away. It really goes to show how with fancy cuts, Ideal Scopes and ASETs are good indicators, but the true test is with the eyes. Thanks again everyone, I''ll definitely be sticking around this board as the community here is awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results