shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on this diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gremlin

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

I am considering if I should purchase a diamond via the internet, or just to get them from a local B&M store. After reading thru many posts here, I believe I am able to purchase a superior diamond at lesser cost than what I can get at the stores.

What you you think of this particular piece in GOG? http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/1885/

Love to hear your comments.

Dan

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, the cut of this stone is beautiful. However, you could really save a bundle or go bigger if you go down in clarity and perhaps color. You could easily go down to a VS2/H without much of any visual difference. You could even go down to an SI1 if you wanted to find an eye clean one. However, I understand that many people want a diamond with higher clarity for purity sake, and that''s cool too. If you wanted an opinion about the cut of the diamond, it''s gorgeous.

Small

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 10/5/2006 3:03:16 AM
Author: kcoursolle
Well, the cut of this stone is beautiful. However, you could really save a bundle or go bigger if you go down in clarity and perhaps color. You could easily go down to a VS2/H without much of any visual difference. You could even go down to an SI1 if you wanted to find an eye clean one. However, I understand that many people want a diamond with higher clarity for purity sake, and that''s cool too. If you wanted an opinion about the cut of the diamond, it''s gorgeous.
I agree! If it were me...I''d get a bigger stone and go down to VS2 or even SI (but I own 2 SI stones so it''s easy for me to say) I think VVS is overkill in clairty but that is my opinion. The cut of the diamond is gorgeous...I''m sure you wouldn''t be disappointed.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
gremlin, the stone you picked out is indeed lovely, but the girls are right, the clarity is a bit of overkill. If you would like a nice stone, but a bit bigger and still clean, I looked around and found this.

This is a very well cut stone, for just a few hundred more. Not sure what your top dollar is.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/2237/

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If you want a half carat diamond and no larger, then you have made a terrific choice! But if you''re open to a larger one, you certainly could get a larger stone for the same money. But F VVS2 is a very fine combination and easier to afford on smaller stones than larger ones. So I''d say go for it if the .5 is the maximum size you want.

gremlin

Rough_Rock
Thanks to all the replies and suggestions. Seems the general consensus is to get a larger stone while taking a little away some clarity.
21.gif

I found out that 0.5ct range is what my gal actually prefers, so thats why i was looking for stones around that size.

Ok, here is my dilemma:

I intend to propose of my gal in about 2 months time and I''m hoping to get a really nice proposal ring for her. Before stumbling on this site, I have explored many B&M stores here (I am staying in Singapore) to check out whats available. After all the searching, I decided that I like Tiffany the most because of its setting. I think it has the most beautiful setting among all the other stores. Anyway, I do have a budget and that is within S$6000 (USD3700). There is this Tiffany ring, 0.42, G, VS2 going for S$5750. Almost made up my mind to get it until I come across the wonderful place called PS. Ha!

I made some calculations, and if I were to get the 0.5ct stone, after adding all the shipping, taxes, appraisal, setting, etc, It would amount to S$5300-S$5500. One thing that is holding me back from getting online is I do not know if I can get the stone set to Tiffany''s standard here. Heh, maybe I''m bias, but I really dig the Tiffany setting and I know my gal would love it too. Of course, not to mention the bragging rights the name would give
31.gif

On the other hand, I know I would most likely be able to get a better quality diamond from one of the online vendors here, and with the wonderful help you guys give.. it is just the setting part that bothers me.

So here I am.. still mulling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Been there, Gremlin. My stone would be set in a Tiffany setting right now if they''d set a stone brought in! I think you''re basically going to have to choose between the total Tiffany package, or a slightly better stone and a setting that might not be as perfect. Of course, you could have GOG set the diamond in the SuperbCert Tiffany replica setting. I guess it just depends on how special the Tiffany would be to her.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results