shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on depth and table

kingjer

Rough_Rock
Hi,
Anyone have an opinion on a diamond that is 60% table and 56.8% depth? It's obviously attractive because it has a lot of surface area when mounted but have read closer to 60/60 is a better way to go?

Thanks in advance!!

J.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Probably have a higher risk of chipping with such shallow proportions.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Shallow stones with big tables can appear to have less sparkle and fire than stones with a small table that are a nice depth....

kingjer

Rough_Rock
Probably not an easy question to answer, but what would you consider the lowest I should go to maximize the face up measurement but not lose that sparkle and fire? 58%? 60%?

How about this one?
Depth: 61.2 %
Table: 56 %

Thanks again!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Need all the numbers: carat weight, dimensions in mm, angles, girdle thickness.

Might be easier if you let us know what you're looking for, someone might look around for you.

delight

Shiny_Rock
It's unlikely you will get an attractive stone as good as one with proper depth.

kingjer

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the info! Looking for something around 2 carats, budget 15-18k for stone only. The ones I've been looking at have been around 8mm to 8.3mm round. I think H or I color would good, probably VS2 or SI1. I've read on here cut is paramount so I've been looking at ideal or excellent. Also only been looking for GIA certified since I don't know much about diamonds to tell quality on my own.

The original one I was looking at...
Carat weight:1.95
Cut: Very Good
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Depth %:56.9%
Table %:60%
Polish:Very Good
Symmetry:Excellent
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Faint
Measurements: 8.29 x 8.34 x 4.73 mm
Cut: Very Good

Not sure if it's ok to post links but...
http://www.bluenile.com/round-diamond-1-carat-very-good-cut-i-color-vs1-clarity_LD03528064?click_id=913642889

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A large table does not have anything to do with the overall diameter of the stone, and the diameter is what determines how large the stone looks face up. The key is to buy an ideal cut diamond, and it will generally look the best and brightest edge to edge giving a larger appearance that a more poorly cut stone. I'd never buy a stone with a large table and shallow crown....primarily because when we were young and knew nothing, we bought a stone like that!

Anyway, to get to the point, only look at GIA Excellent cut stones. Even within that grade, some stones are much better than others. here is what to look for within GIA Excellent:

table: 54-58

depth: 60-62.0 (62.3 is even okay, but since you want to maximize diameter, I recommend going no lower than 62)

crown angle: 34-35

pavilion angle: 40.6-41.0

It is also helpful to buy from a vendor that supplies idealscope images to further show the light return of the stone and to avoid leakage.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone has problems, way too shallow, it will look dark.

kingjer

Rough_Rock
Thank you everyone! I would have definitely made a mistake! Will follow advice above and find something nice. I'm sure I'll spend a little more than I wanted but that's ok. :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results