shape
carat
color
clarity

Opinion on 3 Princess Cuts?

fractal

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I'm new to the world of diamonds but have been doing a lot of reading and looking at some stones in person recently. I'm looking to purchase a princess cut that will likely be set in rose gold (solitaire) with white gold v-tip prongs.

I found three stones on Jame Allen and requested ASETs. Links and ASETS follow as well as the comments from my contact at James Allen. Out of the three stones, the one that I thought I liked best (2.13 J VS1) was the 'least' recommended by the gemologist. I am looking for some other opinions based on the photos and ASETS. Thanks!

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/1.90-carat-i-color-vs2-clarity-sku-277738

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.05-carat-j-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189290

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/princess-cut/2.13-carat-j-color-vs1-clarity-sku-177894

"... the gemologist found the 1.90 carat-I-VS2 (diamond 277738) and the 2.05 carat-J-VS2 (diamond 189290) to be the top two performers and his personal favorites. They both have a great amount of brilliance (white light return), fire (dispersion of color) and sparkle that is well balanced and symmetrical. They both face up a nice white color and are completely "eye clean" as well."

"The 2.13 carat-J-VS1 (diamond 177894) is a very beautiful option; however, it has more dark areas under the table; causing it to be the weakest performer. It has more warmth than the top two and faces up completely "eye clean". "

277738.jpg

189290.jpg

177894.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
#3 is nice but it is facing up kind of creamy colored.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Going from the ASETs alone, the middle one has by far the best symmetry and looks like it will have a nice contrast pattern in real life. The other two look somewhat more 'messy' but the first one looks to have less issues with dark contrast patches. Contrast can be nice, as in the second one, but if it looks messy it looks unintentional IMHO!

Although I am n00b so take what I say with a pinch of salt ;-) :)

fractal

Rough_Rock
I like the symmetry of #2 but am a little concerned about the light leakage in the center. Some of the princess cuts that I've seen in person appear to have either a 'dark spot' in the center or I can see right down through the center of the stone. I wonder if the light leakage in this case would translate to either of those two scenarios?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
BTW, just because the JA gemologist picked #3 last doesn't mean that you would pick it last.... I don't find that amount of obstruction to be a problem, and its AGS 0.

You should ask them to put #2 on a colored surface and see if it is visible.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results