shape
carat
color
clarity

open culet in old cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

naomi

Rough_Rock
Today for the first time I saw old step cut diamond (it was like a kite shape). The diamond was mounted in Fred Leighton''s pratinum design. The stones (two stones as earings) do not have certificate (colorless or near-colorless and VS clarity according to the store). I liked the stones and the style of earings.

Do people ask certificate (jeweler might be able to take out stones and remount after grading) for estate-kind of piece? (I am afraid that it may damage prong.)
How should I evaluate culet for old cut? Is it just personal acceptance for the characteristics of old cut?

Any thoughts appreciated!

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I have an Old European cut with an open culet. To me, the culet is part of the diamond's old-fashioned charm.

It's not a step cut, though.

naomi

Rough_Rock
Hi, Glitterata.
It seems that you cherish your stone.
Do you know good educational site for old-cut diamond stone?

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Hi Naomi,

I also have an Old Eurpean Cut w/ cutlet. I LOVE it. It is truly the most beautiful cut - to my eyes.

And you said the diamond was from Fred Leighton? I'd trust them - they have amazing stuff. :)

glitterata

Ideal_Rock
I wish I did know a good educational site for old cut stones, but I don't.

I do know that David Atlas, who posts on this board, knows a lot about them.

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Dave has a chart for OECs, but I don't think you can really get ideal numbers for something as unusual as yours. Plus, the factors that go into an antique piece go far beyond modern cut standards anyway.

I love, just love, the open culet in my OMC. That and every rough edge, every imperfect bump, speaks to me of the hand of some long-dead cutter. You have an unusual shape, sold by Fred Leighton. I really don't think you can go wrong as long as you can afford it.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
There are step cut kite shapes. Art Deco jewelry period stuff. They can be very lovely and somewhat understated. Typcially these stones are rather thin and do have noticeably large culets. It doesn't hurt them as they derive a great part of their charm from a combination of surface reflection and overall transparency. While this does not work well for engagement ring diamonds, these kind of window-like stones dangling from the ear look very nice....Kind of like a mirage in the distance on a desert highway.

naomi

Rough_Rock
Thank you KittenKat and Hest88 for your comments. I found out Fred Leighton name only recently, but I am excited about their high reputation acknowleged by you.

Oldminer,
Yes, Yes, the surface reflection was the most amazing impact. Yes, it looked larger for the carat, it must be step cut kite shape (I believe there are 5 sides). I was overwhelmed by cut and surface reflection, and forgot checking transparency (paid too much attention to culet, distracted by no certificate issue). The dangling earring design looked so gorgeous. I will check transparancy next time.

Thank you everyone.

KittenKat

Shiny_Rock
Fred Leighton is fabulous. Do a search on them... Often when it's Oscar time out here in LA, celebrities borrow tons of their stuff.

Stunning, stunning jewelry... in my opinion.

Neil Lane is another awesome antique dealer. (Out here in Los Angeles.)

Please post some pictures for us should you get it!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results