shape
carat
color
clarity

On hunt for a diamond - NYC Diamond District

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

deniseny73

Rough_Rock
Hello All

I am planning a trip to NYC soon, possibly tomorrow. Please provide recommendations on places to look for a qulaity diamond. I just want to stop in trust worthy places where I can get a bang for my buck. I was planning to spend $10,000 on PEAR stone but my lovey said - he might consider $2000 or so extra. I am hoping for about a 2 carat pear. What kind of quality/size pear do you think we can get for this amount?

I want a sparkly stone that is at least an S-1. Excellent cut. I am thinking of color G or better. Anyone have an H, is that fairly colorless?

Medium girdle???

HELP and thank you!!

I already had one negative experience and now I want a nice happy one!!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Mark at Engagement Rings Direct is in the DD and is a wonderful, trustworthy vendor. BUT you need to call him ahead of time to make an appointment (he''s not street level) and especially to make sure he can pull some pears in for you with the specs you want. But it would be worth it IMO to deal with someone like him. He''s not high pressure either which is really nice in the DD.

I''d also consider a trip out to Long Island to visit Jon @ Good Old Gold.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2008 9:08:54 AM
Author: neatfreak
Mark at Engagement Rings Direct is in the DD and is a wonderful, trustworthy vendor. BUT you need to call him ahead of time to make an appointment (he''s not street level) and especially to make sure he can pull some pears in for you with the specs you want. But it would be worth it IMO to deal with someone like him. He''s not high pressure either which is really nice in the DD.

Ditto. And yes in fact I do have a 2 ct GIA graded pear which is plenty white. I can notice a very very slight hint of warmth in the tip of the pear at times but it is very slight and something you need to actually look for, so I think your specs sound very reasonable with G to H colour and SI clarity. If you are viewing diamonds in person then this shouldn''t be an issue, but if you are buying sight unseen you will need to check that the diamond is eyeclean to your standards by asking the vendor.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 9:08:54 AM
Author: neatfreak

This will give you an idea about what you can see, and expect, from Jonathan at GOG...

deniseny73

Rough_Rock
I checked out Mark's web. I presume all prices are at least a little negotiable, correct? How can you be sure if you are getting an honest deal?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/24/2008 11:10:47 AM
Author: deniseny73
I went to site and also saw this: http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/4224/

How are SI2 stones? Fairly eye clean if GIA rated?
It depends, SI2 clarity are not created equal so the best thing to do is to contact Jon at GOG concerning this pear, tell him your expectations concerning '' eyecleanliness,'' in other words if you don''t want to see any inclusions from any angle at close scrutiny, make sure you make him aware of that so he can help you determine whether the diamond is suitable for you.

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/24/2008 11:07:00 AM
Author: deniseny73
I checked out Mark's web. I presume all prices are at least a little negotiable, correct? How can you be sure if you are getting an honest deal?

Mark's website isn't a good representation of what he can get. Best to call him. Most prices with PS vendors aren't really negotiable because you are really getting the best prices for what you are getting, which is nice because they aren't trying to rip you off and then make you feel like you got a "good deal" by lowering their asking price after haggling. As to whether he's reputable, just search for him in the box above. You'll see that there are MANY of us who have bought from him with fabulous results.

There are just so many ways to get screwed in the diamond district if you don't know what you are doing. I never recommend that people shop in the street stalls in the DD. Most stories seem to just end unhappily there.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results