shape
carat
color
clarity

OMG!! I dropped my ering into the sink and it bounced around!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Time literally froze when it happened. I was so afraid it was going to fall into the drain but LUCKILY the holes weren''t large enough. I think I literally stopped breathing.

Now I''m paranoid that I chipped the stone and have been inspecting it incessantly. Have you guys dropped your rings?? Please tell me that no damage has been done. I can''t stop beating myself up for being so careless...

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2008 6:07:55 AM
Author:diamondnut
Time literally froze when it happened. I was so afraid it was going to fall into the drain but LUCKILY the holes weren't large enough. I think I literally stopped breathing.

Now I'm paranoid that I chipped the stone and have been inspecting it incessantly. Have you guys dropped your rings?? Please tell me that no damage has been done. I can't stop beating myself up for being so careless...
It seems some of us have dropped our e-rings on occasion, I know I have * shudders*
32.gif
. My ring was absolutely fine thank goodness! Not to say that cracking and chipping can't happen, it can unfortunately, but it seems to be uncommon, so I would suggest maybe getting a professional to check out your ring, to put your mind at rest!

Please don't beat yourself up, I know it is hard not to, but stuff happens and this can happen easily it seems.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you don''t feel you can inspect it properly, take it to a jeweler and have them look so you can relax.
2.gif

And yes, I dropped mine not long after I got it, from a standing position onto a ceramic tile floor.
40.gif
Luckily it was ok. But it really made me slow down, and think about where I took it off after that.

Cleo

Brilliant_Rock
*hugs*

You poor thing - I totally sympathise with the heart-stopping moment which comes with having an accident with your diamond.

I was horrified when my three year old threw my engagement ring in the bathroom and it hit the pedestal under the sink... I had visions of it shattering into a million tiny pieces. Amazingly, it was ok. Last time he ever holds my ring though!

As Lorelei and Ellen suggested, do get your diamond looked at by a jeweller to reassure yourself. :)

x x x

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/28/2008 7:49:40 AM
Author: Cleo
*hugs*

You poor thing - I totally sympathise with the heart-stopping moment which comes with having an accident with your diamond.

I was horrified when my three year old threw my engagement ring in the bathroom and it hit the pedestal under the sink... I had visions of it shattering into a million tiny pieces. Amazingly, it was ok. Last time he ever holds my ring though!

As Lorelei and Ellen suggested, do get your diamond looked at by a jeweller to reassure yourself. :)

x x x
Yikes....
face3.gif

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you ladies so much for your words of comfort! I feel a little better already.

As you all suggested, I'm going to have my stone looked at. In fact, I'm going to take this opportunity to have my stone 'officially' appraised. GASP! I know, I know...I should've had this done from the gecko. The jeweler who I bought the stone from appraised it and I trust him. But I suppose it's good practice to have it appraised by an independent appraiser. So I made an appointment for tomorrow afternoon. NO CHIPS! NO CHIPS!

Wish me luck! And thanks again for making me feel better. You gals are the BEST!!!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are so welcome!!!
35.gif
Let us know how you get on!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 7:58:23 AM
Author: Lorelei
You are so welcome!!!
35.gif
Let us know how you get on!
Ditto!

And yeah, Cleo, yikes!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I wouldn''t say all, but if you wear a ring 24/7 for many years, yes, you''re probably going to end up with some microscopic chips on the girdle area. That''s normal, they aren''t indestructible.
28.gif

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/28/2008 10:40:38 AM
Author: Ellen
I wouldn''t say all, but if you wear a ring 24/7 for many years, yes, you''re probably going to end up with some microscopic chips on the girdle area. That''s normal, they aren''t indestructible.
28.gif

do you think you can feel these microscopic chips if you run your finger nail around the girdle?

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
If one can feel/catch a chip with a nail, it''s probably bigger than microscopic. But I''m no expert.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
thanks ellen. i guess i''ll just have to sit tight and wait until tomorrow''s appraisal.

Liberty Diamonds

Rough_Rock
Trade
That is always a scary event. My gf leaves her ring on the kitchen table to avoid any mishaps. Even though diamonds are very hard, they still can chip. Working in a diamond cutting facility, and having a diamond cutter as a father I see this happening quite often. The most common modern stones we see are princess cuts, and typically the jewelers are the ones chipping those bad boys. On a princess cut you have four vulnerable corners, and many times when you find a good SI with the inclusions off to the side, those inclusions tend to be at one of the corners, which will weaken the stone. With older diamonds it is very common to see "bearding" (small white feather''s along the girdle), and an occasional chip. This is caused by older cutting methods, which was primarily for weight retention not beauty. So many cutters would maximize the diamonds weight by cutting a paper-thin girdle. We learned that over time an extremely thin girdle would cause chips, and bearding.
To answer another question about all diamonds chipping, if a diamond has a proper girdle thickness like thin+ and is properly maintained by a trained jeweler, and stored correctly you should never have any bearding or chipping issues.
A great story is the Taylor-Burton diamond which was a 69.42ct D Flawless Pear shape. Elizabeth Taylor enjoyed the diamond necklace, and stored it with many other fine pieces. After their very publicized divorce, Taylor auctioned the stone off, though after she sent it to GIA for re-verification the diamond was no longer Flawless, but in the VS clarity range, due to some expensive nicks and bruises. The diamond was eventually re-cut to a 68.09ct to achieve the rare flawless grade once again.

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dropped both of my rings, I left them on the counter while putting on handcream , the wedding band went down the drain
14.gif
both of my rings were ok, I yelled for my husband and he had to take the sink apart
38.gif
but I was lucky, he was able to get it out and no damage was done, I no longer take my rings off near sinks
20.gif

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I chipped my beautiful WF ACA diamond that I had for only about 6 or 7 months. I''m not sure how I did it, but I kind of think it wasn''t properly set to begin with. It had a thin girdle and I never thought it was set quite right, as if the head was way too small for the diamond. It seemed like it was a little crooked in there too. The jeweler acted like I was being silly, so I let it go. I discovered the chip when I noticed lint and fuzz sticking to the girdle. The chip was so tiny that I couldn''t see it, but I could feel it with my fingernail. The diamond I replaced it with has a girdle of medium thickness and I had WF set it because I figure they know how to set a diamond, unlike my jeweler! I''m still really paranoid, though. Everytime I knock my hand on something, I grab my loupe and check it out.

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Deegee,

Thanks for your post. Did your insurance company pay for the replacement stone? I'm wondering when it's a tiny microscopic chip if the insurance company will try to get the insured to have the stone polished or fixed in some way. Just preparing myself for the worse I guess.

And was it easy to feel with your fingernail? I've been doing that all night but don't feel anything so I'm hoping for the best!

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
EEK
32.gif
!
Thank the stars that it did not fall down the drain, that would be just awful!

I did drop my precious ring a couple of months ago, right on the ceramic tiles in the bathroom from about 4 feet up...I swear that my heart skipped several beats, or stopped completely. I examined it with a loupe every 3 minutes for hours because I was certain that I had to have chipped the stones. Thankfully, no chips, but the center stone did become loose enough to spin in the setting. I dropped my ring off the next morning and my jeweler had her good as new the very next day.

Hopefully you will continue to not find any damage...fingers crossed!

diamondnut

Brilliant_Rock
Good news all around...

I went to get my ring authenticated this afternoon. I think authenticated is the right term since he didn't give me a dollar value for the stone...he just confirmed the stone's specs match those on the GIA certificate, which is really all i wanted to know. And it does match so that's GREAT. I believed all along it would match but I have to admit I procrastinated in getting it authenticated because a teeny tiny part of me was afraid of learning that it wouldn't. Phew!

The other thing I wanted to learn, of course, is whether the stone was damaged when i dropped it yesterday. Again, I was lucky because it made it through the drop unscathed. My poor stone...I promised it i would take wonderful care of it from now on.

Now a big bonus...the gemologist who did the authentication so BLOWN AWAY by the workmanship of my Leon setting. He said over and over again that this is one of the highest quality settings he's come across in his 25 years in the industry. He said it really doesn't come any better than this. He even asked a couple of his apprentices to come and look at what a high quality setting looks like. And he said I have really good taste.
1.gif
I've always thought it was high quality setting but I thought I may be bias because it's my ring. But to hear it from a professional who's see it all...I was like a beaming parent! You go Leon!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am glad your stone is fine! Your leon is beautiful. I am sure it was nice to hear a professional rave about it.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/29/2008 11:25:40 AM
Author: diamondnut
Good news all around...

I went to get my ring authenticated this afternoon. I think authenticated is the right term since he didn''t give me a dollar value for the stone...he just confirmed the stone''s specs match those on the GIA certificate, which is really all i wanted to know. And it does match so that''s GREAT. I believed all along it would match but I have to admit I procrastinated in getting it authenticated because a teeny tiny part of me was afraid of learning that it wouldn''t. Phew!

The other thing I wanted to learn, of course, is whether the stone was damaged when i dropped it yesterday. Again, I was lucky because it made it through the drop unscathed. My poor stone...I promised it i would take wonderful care of it from now on.

Now a big bonus...the gemologist who did the authentication so BLOWN AWAY by the workmanship of my Leon setting. He said over and over again that this is one of the highest quality settings he''s come across in his 25 years in the industry. He said it really doesn''t come any better than this. He even asked a couple of his apprentices to come and look at what a high quality setting looks like. And he said I have really good taste.
1.gif
I''ve always thought it was high quality setting but I thought I may be bias because it''s my ring. But to hear it from a professional who''s see it all...I was like a beaming parent! You go Leon!!!
Oh that is excellent news and all the more sweet for the nice things that were said about your ring!! I too would have been bursting with pride, good for you, and now you can breathe a huge sigh of relief!

deegee

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Yay! I''m glad everything worked out for you!

To answer your question regarding insurance, I have Jewelers Mutual and they replaced the stone with no problem. I was afraid they wouldn''t since the chip was so small and my ring was so new, but they replaced it with another WF ACA that I picked out. It actually went pretty smoothly.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results