shape
carat
color
clarity

old cut ladies willing to help me look for a beauty?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exploring my options. I was looking at lower colors and people have said "well why not look at old cut", typically i dont like them, but i think thats because a lot of them have that "kozabi?" :confused: :confused: effect and just dont seem all that crisp. However, I will admit that .8 ct one of dreamers mom is really lovely, and if there was somthing like that out there, id really like it.

I have no idea where to look on ebay. basically id like someone to say "buy this stone" and then do it, i dont have the education to venture out on my own :read:

For one of these, i was hoping to say around 2500 but its not harsh. color, dont care, clarity- eye clean.

What kind of thing could i hope to find? could you lovely ladies help a girl out?

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi Nielseel,

The optical effect you're referring to is called "kozibe." It can look neat it some stones, and more "wild" in others. Some old cut admirers really love it, myself included.

However, if you are not sure you like old cuts, is there any chance you can go to an estate jewelry shop and look at some first hand? Not every shop will have the top-of-the-line OECs, but it's good to at least get an intro.

Here's one old cut on ebay that's in your budget. It's been around for a while, maybe our experts can comment on why it hasn't been snapped up yet.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330873448306?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Good luck in your search!

D

Deactivated member 42515

Hi Nielseel, I'm glad you have decided to try this route. You're going to find much more antique diamonds in the color range you desire.

Question, why do you think that antique diamonds don't have the crisp facets you desire? My OEC is crisp and is brilliant from edge to edge. Mine has a slightly large culet but I never see the kozibe unless I take a picture at a certain angle or I am searching for it.

I hope that the ladies here will help you find what you are looking for.

Did I miss when you said what carat weight you wanted?

ETA: were you hoping to get a deal under retail value or would you be open to suggestions for say...OWD or jbeg and not just eBay?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
YT|1361770359|3389729 said:
Hi Nielseel, I'm glad you have decided to try this route. You're going to find much more antique diamonds in the color range you desire.

Question, why do you think that antique diamonds don't have the crisp facets you desire? My OEC is crisp and is brilliant from edge to edge. Mine has a slightly large culet but I never see the kozibe unless I take a picture at a certain angle or I am searching for it.

I hope that the ladies here will help you find what you are looking for.

Did I miss when you said what carat weight you wanted?

ETA: were you hoping to get a deal under retail value or would you be open to suggestions for say...OWD or jbeg and not just eBay?
You're right YT yours is very crisp, just seems like any I can afford aren't like that, they seems to look wonky, but there is a very good chance I'm just terrible at looking for some, quite likely infact. And I'd rather get a relative deal as I'd like something over a ct, I'm willing to wait a while, I'm not in a rush.

I love a big culet and am open to a fair amount of color.

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You're not replacing your beautiful pear are you?? :shock:

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alex Tilley|1361796552|3389832 said:
You're not replacing your beautiful pear are you?? :shock:

yes....she doesnt sparkle like she should. But dont worry im just chopping off the band and turning it into a (pretty great) necklace.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi nielseel, I'm excited for you! I am not an expert but will see what I can find that you may be interested in. I had this beauty in my watch list (but she sold already) and was in your price range. Does something like this interest you (for the sake of improving my search for you).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-CT-VINTAGE-ESTATE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-DIAMOND-BAGUETTE-PLATINUM-RING-/230931349150?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=HAFSUw5WQzgvvdfUtLyJk3kj62s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
missy|1361797378|3389838 said:
Hi nielseel, I'm excited for you! I am not an expert but will see what I can find that you may be interested in. I had this beauty in my watch list (but she sold already) and was in your price range. Does something like this interest you (for the sake of improving my search for you).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-12-CT-VINTAGE-ESTATE-OLD-EUROPEAN-CUT-DIAMOND-BAGUETTE-PLATINUM-RING-/230931349150?_trksid=p2047675.l2557&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT&nma=true&si=HAFSUw5WQzgvvdfUtLyJk3kj62s%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

I had see that one, it looked like it had one of those nail heads i thought so i didnt go after it. It looked nice, but my favorite are the one that almost look like a checkerboard (i think those exist right?) or the one like dreamers

greorge1_5.jpg

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's such a shame, but glad you're keeping it & making something else. It is quite tricky to find a fancy cut that sparkles brilliantly, and I think I fell super lucky with mine as its stunning in all lights. It's still not back from being fixed though :sick:

But yay for the new diamond hunt! I think old cuts can be super beautiful, so good luck! I shall be following your posts!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Some links:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/loose-70ct-GIA-VS2-I-round-European-diamond-vintage-estate-antique-/140586057275?pt=Loose_Diamonds&hash=item20bb94fe3b

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-OEC-Old-European-Diamond-93-Carats-Ct-Round-/281067584466?_trksid=p2047675.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D555003%26algo%3DPW.CAT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D142%26meid%3D5843754273094230599%26pid%3D100010%26prg%3D1076%26rk%3D3%26sd%3D321077662575%26

I would second YT's suggestion and speak with some of the PS vendors (Adam at OWD and Erica/Grace at JbEG) to see what they might have. Adam has more diamonds than what is on his site and he is really easy to talk to and wouldn't steer you wrong. He is very respectful of whatever budget you have. You have nothing to lose.

MsP

Brilliant_Rock
I would really try to find a few to see in person and make sure they're in your size range... I find that even if small and large oecs have similar cut patterns the size changes things. I am not such a big fan of small oec and omcs but love larger ones. I find the smaller ones I've seen just look... Muddled? I'm not sure how to describe. It could be I've just never seen a good one.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The one Gypsy posted would be worth sending for to look at. They have a great return policy. Their pictures don't really do justice. I have bought two rings from them and was very pleased. That is a really good price for a 1 ct stone!

The only thing that concerns me is that you were unhappy with your pear not having great light performance and sparkle, and I think you are not going to achieve great light performance going in this direction, either. I really think Thing2's suggestion of looking at ideal cuts with fluoro is a great idea. I am not getting the feeling that you are really an antique stone lover, which is fine. Just don't go down the wrong path because these stones can be cheaper than an ideal cut round.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ms P|1361801688|3389870 said:
I would really try to find a few to see in person and make sure they're in your size range... I find that even if small and large oecs have similar cut patterns the size changes things. I am not such a big fan of small oec and omcs but love larger ones. I find the smaller ones I've seen just look... Muddled? I'm not sure how to describe. It could be I've just never seen a good one.

I agree that seeing them in person is ideal because with old cuts numbers don't mean as much and they don't always photograph well. My OEC is to my eyes gorgeous but the photos don't show half of its beauty IMO.

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
Nielseel,

In real life, it's not going to be large enough for you to see how crisp or not crisp the facets are (in reference to the link Gypsy posted). You will see largish glittery sparkles of pastel-colored light.

You probably should see an OEC in person so you can experience the "look." Then you can decide whether you like it or not. For me, old cuts are perfection, even wonky ones. I really don't like modern cuts much, but you may prefer the look of an ideal-cut round.

liz

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LibbyLA|1361802864|3389883 said:
Nielseel,

In real life, it's not going to be large enough for you to see how crisp or not crisp the facets are (in reference to the link Gypsy posted). You will see largish glittery sparkles of pastel-colored light.

You probably should see an OEC in person so you can experience the "look." Then you can decide whether you like it or not. For me, old cuts are perfection, even wonky ones. I really don't like modern cuts much, but you may prefer the look of an ideal-cut round.

liz
Well if I'm not going to notice the facets at this size why not get a mrb? I can get a larger modern cut stone at this color range than I can a old cut, seems like. I found a 1.3 ct eye clean o for my buget

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
I think the one Gypsy posted from MDZ could be nice. I guess I don't know what you mean about the faceting, unless you mean that not every petal is pointing straight (some of them go cross ways but I think this actually tends to be a good thing in old cuts, as then they have a better chance of having brightness all across the stone then because f the huge facets). If you are looking for perfect petals (like would be arrows in a modern cut stone) because of the symmetry it represents, then I think you are still evaluating old cuts in the same light as modern cuts and I guess I'm one of the people in the minority, but I think thats a mistake with the old cuts. All diamonds change their look once they are set as well, so how you see the facet pattern now crispness-wise, I suppose, may change in a setting.

I disagree that you wouldn't be able to appreciate the difference in faceting in a 6.6mm old stone. I can see the difference in my modern stone versus my old cut. The modern is 6.3mm and the old cut is 6.7-ish and the difference is very clear to me.

I think you should try to go see some first if you can to see how you feel about them.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I thought you didn't like old cuts? Sounds like you need to do a lot of shopping and trying on to see what you actually like before you go on a hunt to buy.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
thing2of2|1361807334|3389936 said:
I thought you didn't like old cuts? Sounds like you need to do a lot of shopping and trying on to see what you actually like before you go on a hunt to buy.
My first post says why I usually don't like them. And this is me looking around. Thanks for your concern, though. :))

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
nielseel|1361803376|3389887 said:
Well if I'm not going to notice the facets at this size why not get a mrb? I can get a larger modern cut stone at this color range than I can a old cut, seems like. I found a 1.3 ct eye clean o for my buget

That was my POINT. You may be able to get a larger OEC for the money than MRB, but you need to see an OEC in whatever size so you know whether you like it or not.

Whether or not you see the faceting, the sparkle is different in an old cut than it is in an MRB. Some people like old cut sparkle (that would be me), some people like MRB sparkle. You need to know what "flavor" sparkle you prefer before buying something.

liz

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Looking at pictures online is not the same as seeing them in person. Almost all old cuts have kozibe under a loupe(what you claimed you disliked.) It's just a matter of size, and most of the time you can't see it unless you have a huge diamond. Even Dreamer's diamond has kozibe, which you can't see in that particular picture. That's why people suggest seeing some in person.

You should probably stick to MRB because I don't think you'll be happy with anything anyone here can find you.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1361807461|3389938 said:
thing2of2|1361807334|3389936 said:
My first post says why I usually don't like them. And this is me looking around. Thanks for your concern, though. :))

I meant that you should go shopping in real life, and see these diamonds in person. It's much easier to figure out what you want when you can see things and try them on. And I'm not concerned at all-what diamond you get doesn't worry me in the slightest. ;))

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
bastetcat,

I didn't say she wouldn't appreciate the difference in faceting, I said she wouldn't be able to SEE the faceting (at least not well).

There is definitely a difference in performance, though, even with tiny OECs compared to tiny MRBs.

liz

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LibbyLA|1361808577|3389946 said:

That was my POINT. You may be able to get a larger OEC for the money than MRB, but you need to see an OEC in whatever size so you know whether you like it or not.

Whether or not you see the faceting, the sparkle is different in an old cut than it is in an MRB. Some people like old cut sparkle (that would be me), some people like MRB sparkle. You need to know what "flavor" sparkle you prefer before buying something.

liz

Totally agree. Old cuts have this chunky sparkle/brilliance (not sure that's the right term)-so different than an MRB. Both are beautiful in different ways but you really should see it in person to decide if you will fall in love with an old cut. I *much* prefer an old cut in every way but it is such a personal thing and I do appreciate the beauty of the modern cut.

And you can see the faceting of old cuts IRL without a loupe. Old cuts are a whole different experience. And there are so many different flavors to choose from so if you could see different old cuts in person you could see what specifically appeals to you (if at all).

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
LibbyLA|1361808741|3389953 said:
bastetcat,

I didn't say she wouldn't appreciate the difference in faceting, I said she wouldn't be able to SEE the faceting (at least not well).

There is definitely a difference in performance, though, even with tiny OECs compared to tiny MRBs.

liz

I get what you are saying and see your point. I can see the difference in the faceting style easily between the two, but to sit and look at individual facets I need a close up of it. The overall effect is very easy to spot at that size though, even if you can't see individual facets. I think we just get a distorted idea here because of all the macros posted with fantastic detailing. I've never seen a 8-9mm OEC in person, so can't say whether or not you can see individual faceting at that size or not.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
LibbyLA|1361808577|3389946 said:

liz

This wasnt to you in general, it was to people who are saying I should go with old cuts if i want a color this low. but if i cant see specifically the facetting difference i dont know why i specifically should go this route, especially if low color MRB are actually extremely affordable

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
So then get a MRB. May not be as plentiful in lower colors you need in order to fit your budget, but it never sounded like you would appreciate the old cut faceting.

maccers

Brilliant_Rock
Nielseel, have you decided if you want super sparkly or some sparkle with fire? When I was deciding whether or not to go the old cut route, I spent lots of time looking at old GOG videos comparing old cuts to MRBs. Turns out I love OECs for the type of sparkle-fire they offer. For me, MRBs have too much of a splintery look to them. Based on your various posts on PS, I've gotten the impression you much prefer MRBs over old cuts (not to say that you don't like old cuts at all, just my impression of preference). That said, if you're still investigating the old cut route, I'm thinking you should focus on transitionals. They can be more orderly and crisp (and sparkly) than some of the old cuts.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I'm with FK and Thing - you need to go to a store and look at stones in person. When you figure out what you want, THEN come to PS'ers and we'll all help you find the best deal on the internet.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results