shape
carat
color
clarity

Old Asscher Cut Diamond small table.

simon123

Hello,

We seems to have lots of Asscher experts on the forum and would love some advise on the following please. Most Asschers have a Table >60% whey are smaller tables harder to find?

Details of the stone. The ring came from an antique jewellers and they said was dated around the 1920''s era.

Table 56%
Depth 68.9%
H
VS2.

Thanks for your help.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is the stone graded by GIA?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
simon123|1424720290|3837085 said:
Most Asschers have a Table >60% why are smaller tables harder to find?
Larger table and low crown allows the cutter to get 2 stones out of the rough.
No pictures of the stone? I would not buy any non round diamonds without pictures and at least a video.

simon123

Yes it has been graded by GIA - it looks a cracking stone. I don't see any for sale on vendors website with table <60%. Why is this?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Older cut stones cut by hand tend to have different dimensions to modern cut stones, you can't just judge them by numbers you judge them with your eyes as well...... A stone with a big high crown and a small table that is fairly deep generally (and it is a generalisation each stone is different) will have a nice amount of fire. Do you have photos you could share?

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A straight on picture looking down into the table/crown is best to see the cut quality.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
O.K we need one closer or zoomed in either straight front on like your second pic (but closer to the actual diamond) or one looking top down, straight on of the diamond, because your pics are both blurry and too far away it's hard to tell much about the actual stone.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just so you know, I have a (new) small asscher that I bought to go into a special setting in the last couple of years, and it has an excellent, beautiful cut and the table is 58. I strongly prefer the smaller tables and believe they enhance the beauty of an otherwise well cut stone. I think they are still cut by hand but there is more known now about cut proportions than there was 100 years ago. I just think not many cutters specialize in the best cut stones because they take longer to cut, may waste more rough, and may not be as profitable for those reasons. Of course, finding the best cut old stone is not easy, either!

I cannot wait to see your diamond up close!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arkieb1|1424731903|3837163 said:
O.K we need one closer or zoomed in either straight front on like your second pic (but closer to the actual diamond) or one looking top down, straight on of the diamond, because your pics are both blurry and too far away it's hard to tell much about the actual stone.
Correct.

simon123

Will do for sure.

Leon has the ring now and will make it into a three stone with two bullets on either side. Will post pics when completed.

snfsdca

Rough_Rock
simon123|1424811648|3837632 said:
Will do for sure.

Leon has the ring now and will make it into a three stone with two bullets on either side. Will post pics when completed.

Oh, wow - cannot wait to see the finished piece!!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Looks great.

woofmama

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous ring :love: Congratulations!

MixedPeel

Rough_Rock
Stunning ring. I'm a real sucker for side stones.
I can see its a very well made ring. Wear it in good health and happiness.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results