shape
carat
color
clarity

OK, How about this Scenario?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

FalleN

Rough_Rock
I am going to spend approximately $2300 on a stone for my engagement...

So far I have narrowed it down to ideal cut, D color VS1 or better stones in the .60 carat range....

I cannot go up in size without drastically affecting the price, so I would assume I''ve already decided on my purchase.

Just getting one more thread full of advice before I ship out the loot!

I tried cutting the corner in the Color and Clarity areas, but found that it does not affect the price enough to sacrifice either....

Does this hold true everywhere? And does the price sound appropriate for a stone of this description?

It has all the desirable crown and pavilion angles, wonderful clarity, nice depth and so on...

Basically I''m asking....Is there a way to up the size without sacrificing noticeable attributes? Ideal cut is a must, so as I said I think I''ve about reached the end of decision road.

Regards,
Seth

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Most women on here are very happy with their SI1 H RB stones. I think while having a "D" stone would be great most people can''t tell the difference between as D and a G. So by going down in color you might be able to get a larger stone for the money.

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
I would think you can get a larger stone by dropping the color to a G (even an F) and dropping the clarity to VS2 or SI1. Having said that, $2300 for an ideal cut .60, D, VS1 seems like a very good price.

ETA Which lab graded the stone?

FalleN

Rough_Rock
Here''s a great example of my dilemma...

I find a stone, slightly larger...lesser in color..for approximately the same price...but cert''d by AGS where I can find the Crown/Pavilion angles and calculate the stones cut quality prior to purchase...

So NOW! It''s between a .6 carat D VS1 graded by the GIA, so I have no idea the angles....or THIS stone:

G Color .634 ct
VS1
ID/ID
Thin to Slightly Thick girdle
34.6 Crown
40.6 Pavilion
61.8 Depth
56 Table

I found the HCA calculator and it says this stone is excellent in the 3 important areas

Is it worth dropping the .034 cts. and going up in Color, but taking the chance on the actual cut of the stone? Remember, I''m buying sight unseen....

So far, the G colored stone has got my eye, as I''m sure it won''t show color....

cqdiep

Rough_Rock
I agree with going for a F/G SI1 so that you can go up in size. As long as the SI1 is eyeclean, it should be fine. Going down in color (to G or even H) will be compensated with an ideal cut and the brilliance will "hide" the slight yellow color (so I''ve heard). I bet you can get a bigger stone with G SI1 ideal cut.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like this G VS, the numbers are very nice. Having had a G VS previously, it''s a nice balance of color and clarity IMO if you are worried about someone seeing color or any inclusions. Personally I love H SI''s knowing now what I know, but a G VS is a nice one too.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Seth,

Do you have outside performance requirements?

Tacori, I think he's realistically talking about about actuals vs possible. In the past, I've noticed that for some sizes, yes, you may as well get a very excellent color, because the difference in price is not worth doing otherwise.

First searching, constraining from G down, I would agree with you. Opening the search up on the search by cut database to include up to J and SI2, several options at .7+ do appear. Then, it become a question of preferences for size vs color, and many would readily go for the D first.

It is a choice. I saw this one, for example, and think there was an H there, too. See what you think.

Regards,

FalleN

Rough_Rock
Ira, in your professional opinion, which stone would you think is better? To YOUR personal preference... The H&A .74 ct. or my D VS1?

I think the H&A cut is stunning but I don''t know how yellow a J would appear...Plus, it is slightly included but looks to be nice.

What do you think of that particular stone''s cert?

This site is awesome! The help is much appreciated.

Seth

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
If you don''t have all the numbers on the D (crown/pavil, etc), then I''d eliminate it.

I did a little homework......I found two .63 D, VS2 stones that are provably well cut; both were around $2650. A D, VS1 in that size should run a bit more. If yours is 2300, it may be a slightly lower make; it may not.

You really need the numbers.
1.gif

FalleN

Rough_Rock
The H&A Stone really catches my eye, I like it a lot> I would like to hear more professional opinions on that stone in particular, including it''s cert....

Seth

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Seth,

Re your D, I agree with Al...you really need the numbers.

But, per your question:

Date: 9/13/2005 1:35:10 PM
Author: FalleN
Ira, in your professional opinion, which stone would you think is better? To YOUR personal preference... The H&A .74 ct. or my D VS1?

I think the H&A cut is stunning but I don''t know how yellow a J would appear...Plus, it is slightly included but looks to be nice.
...and, btw, no professional opinion here, just an amateur...I wouldn''t presume to tell you the J is OK. You do need to go out, see what standardly presents as a J, and make up your own mind.

Although, of a run of the numbers here I picked the one I did because I thought it would be a good devils advocate to include good size & cut....do a run of the numbers yourself on the search by cut database, and see the handful of options, all workable in your budget, some with lower color as reported above, and go in your neighborhood, and see what these features represented (particularly color) mean or not to you.

From what I read here, btw, also, reviewing certs isn''t that helpful, so I don''t.

Hope you''re having fun.

Regards,

FalleN

Rough_Rock
As appealing as the .74 carat rock is, I think I''m going to go with the IDEAL VS1 G....
I think it''s proportions will best fit what I am after.

I still have a little while before I make the final purchase so I''m always open to suggestions if you guys see something interesting!

FalleN

Rough_Rock
By the way, this .63 ct. G color VS1 stone is going for $2,238...I think that sounds like a great deal....

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/13/2005 3:59:37 PM
By the way, this .63 ct. G color VS1 stone is going for $2,238...I think that sounds like a great deal....
Sounds good to me, too, Seth.

Nothing''s been said here, btw, about working with a vendor of choice, which can be invaluable. Though I may not have read here as carefully as I should have, did you say who your seller was? Are they local to you? If so, this can be tremendously valuable (though, as most who read here have come to manage, if this is not the case, you''re in good company, too).

Regards, and best wishes!

Jelly

Ideal_Rock
Here''s one that''s bigger than 60 points and fits your budget. The A Cut Above Superideal diamonds from Whiteflash are amazing!

Item Code: AGS-6205410
Price: $2,275.00
Report: AGS
Shape: A Cut Above H&A
Carat: 0.742
Color: J
Clarity: SI1
Depth: 60.5
Table: 56
Crown Angle: 35
Crown %: 15.3
Pavilion Angle: 40.9
Pavilion %: 43.1
Girdle: Thin to Medium
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Negligible
Measurements: 5.87-5.89X3.56

http://www.whiteflash.com/hearts_arrows/A-Cut-Above-H-A-cut-diamond-1358847.htm

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I would ask the vendor of the D/VS1 for asarin report and idealscope picture. If you can''t get at least the sarin report with the angles, then I would skip it. I agree with others, it is a great price for an ideal cut, so it may actually not be a top make,which makes it cheaper. The cut/make will make the biggest difference in performance, so optimize that and find a good balance of the rest. That G/VS looks like a great stone.

You could ocnsider having both the G and a J sent to you or a local appraiser to see for your self the trade offs between the larger size and the color. Everyone has different eyes and preferences, so picking live is always the best way to go.

Good luck!

FalleN

Rough_Rock
I really like that stone from Whiteflash, but the J and the SI1 slightly scares me off.

The G stone is from Blue Nile...though I''ve read mixed reviews, they seem to be all around a great vendor with a great return policy....

I suppose I could call Whiteflash and have them examine the SI1 stone for me, and tell me if the inclusions are visible to the naked eye, and they''re location, etc???

Shay37

Ideal_Rock
Date: 9/14/2005 8:59:03 AM
I really like that stone from Whiteflash, but the J and the SI1 slightly scares me off.

The G stone is from Blue Nile...though I''ve read mixed reviews, they seem to be all around a great vendor with a great return policy....

I suppose I could call Whiteflash and have them examine the SI1 stone for me, and tell me if the inclusions are visible to the naked eye, and they''re location, etc???
FalleN, that is exactly what I would do. Actually I did yesterday on a different stone. They are very helpful and nice. Give them a call.

Shay

windowshopper

Ideal_Rock
Seth:

I think the G vs stone sounds perfect. I really think there is no J you will be pleased with..........unless it has strong blue fluor that helps kill the yellow. There are lots of folks on pricescope who''ve gone with J''s to get a much bigger stone and couldnt be more pleased but I for one think that in your size range you dont have a 3 carat stone where the color is not the primary thing--its the hugeness of it...................personally with smaller stones I think CUT is the most important and then color..........the G definitely accomplishes a lot for you..............G''s are the best value and rarely appear anything but WHITE

FalleN

Rough_Rock
I''m definately leaning towards the G....I love the cut on the J stone but the color would show, I''m sure and the difference in size is not worth the difference in color, to me.....

I''m always open to suggestions though, and I thank everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions....

Regards,
Seth

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
ummm.....saw this yesterday, and since this discussion is still current, just thought I''d point out one you could have seen yourself. I''d at least consider turning my couch over and shaking it to consider it, would ask WF if there''s reason to be concerned that there''s no IS for it (maybe they''d send you one), and just perhaps confirm both that the medium flor is more interesting than a problem, and the probable singular cause for the lower price.

Warmest regards,

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results