carat
color
clarity

OEC or MRB studs?

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
Hi all! :wavey:

I'm in a quandary! :errrr:

I am looking to purchase some studs around the 1.2 - 1.4 ctw range. They will hopefully be in the J, SI1 range. I am not color sensitive...E-ring is a GIA M OEC....but I would like to stay around a J for MRBs...could go to K for OECs.

I have been doing my PS research :read: and have read very mixed things on whether to go with OECs for studs or not. I obviously love old cuts, but am having a hard time figuring out if they will have the same impact at the smaller size or if I should go for maximum impact MRBs. Plus, tbh, it is much easier to get some matching MRBs. Keep in mind if I go with MRBs they will be uncerted IDJ stones. I have been exploring my options with Yekutiel and he is looking for the best cut uncerted stones he has. On the other side Adam is looking for OECs for me.

I am looking for some opinions that will help tip the scale in one direction. :D Thanks!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi valmanin, what an exciting project. :appl: I get what you are saying with the smaller size what makes an OEC special might be lost. OTOH the size you are looking for is respectable and I think you just might appreciate the difference b/w OEC and MRB.

My answer is of course to see them in person to know for sure. I forget where you are located but if you aren't local could you have Adam and Yekutiel send the contenders to you so you can decide for sure? It's the only way to be certain IMO and being this is an important purchase that would be my rec if possible.

I would choose the OEC just because I love OECs so much. The faceting and chunkiness wins hands down over MRBs for me. In fact I have lovely studs but they are MRB and I never wear them. I got them before I realized my love for OEC's and if I could go back in time I would have chosen OEC studs. I am not one for selling so I will just wait and perhaps one day get an OEC pair.

Good luck with your decision. I know whatever you choose will be beautiful.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi valmanin, how exciting to be getting diamond studs! I love old cuts (I have one for my ering and a pendant) but for some reason I lean towards MRB's for studs (which is what I have) - I don't know, they just seem to sparkle and pick up the light so well. And I love mrbs too so it's a nice way to have the best of both worlds. But oec studs would be lovely too (although, yeah, kinda tricky to match up)- Hmm, I'm a big help! Whatever you decide will be beautiful, there really isn't a wrong choice. I guess you could wait and see what yekutiel and Adam come up with and decide from there.

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
I have both, so here is my 2c.

The first is a pair of 2 x 0.50ct (1.00tcw) G SI1 MRBs which I haloed - they kinda kook like these but with milgrain and the centre stone is more substantial. The sparkle like the devil. They are FAB.

http://www.tiffany.com.au/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=23954141

I also have these, which are 1.82tcw. They are OECs, purchased from Erica very recently, set in her Sarah platinum bezels and they are just stunning.

They are a very very good pattern match in real life and that was what was important to me - one is a J (GIA certed), the other is an uncerted I/J, likely SI. In most lights it looks a fraction whiter than the J, but not that you notice. Both around the 6.2mm mark. The only thing that doesn't really match is the crown - the uncerted stone has a much lower crown but it honestly doesn't impact the performance. Face on, they are a fabulous pair. I am so glad I bought them - they have a different look to all the other MRB studs I see every day and I really like that they are different.

I like the more elegant, subtle flash and sparkle that they give off. I still wear my MRBs but I find myself gravitating towards the OECs more frequently. I love the bezel, it just makes the whole thing look so classy and elegant. All you see is the stone.

She has these at the moment that fall within your specs set:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-40ctw-old-european-cut-diamond-pair-uncerted-g-h-vs2/

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-46ctw-old-european-cut-diamond-pair-uncerted-k-l-vs2/

The other option could be transitionals? In between the two? Erica has this pair:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-33ctw-transitional-cut-diamond-pair-uncerted-j-k-vs2-si1/

Not sure what your budget is, but defintiely worth reaching out to her. I trust her implicitly when it comes to matching stones. She has an excellent eye. I couldn't be happier with the ones she found me.

oec_earrings.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, I started off with mrb everything. So when I switched over to my AVR, it really caused me the same quandry, except I already have superideal cut mrb's for studs. I did one time in the past (before getting my AVR ring) order .60 each AVR's and they were a little smaller than I wanted. I would have kept them but one was I and the other was J and I am sorry, but I could see the color difference. My quest for near-perfection makes it SUPER hard for me to find a matched pair of antique OEC's. I LOVE milgrain bezel studs and really do hope to eventually get a pair of OECs or AVRs. I'll likely keep my mrb studs since I have two daughters.

With your ring, I say OECs hands down. I think it will look much better. And I recommend at least 6mm especially since you have a large ring stone. Plus you can see the pattern better at that size and up.

(LOVE your milgrain studs, misskittycat!!!)

misskittycat

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1409456337|3742252 said:
Okay, I started off with mrb everything. So when I switched over to my AVR, it really caused me the same quandry, except I already have superideal cut mrb's for studs. I did one time in the past (before getting my AVR ring) order .60 each AVR's and they were a little smaller than I wanted. I would have kept them but one was I and the other was J and I am sorry, but I could see the color difference. My quest for near-perfection makes it SUPER hard for me to find a matched pair of antique OEC's. I LOVE milgrain bezel studs and really do hope to eventually get a pair of OECs or AVRs. I'll likely keep my mrb studs since I have two daughters.

With your ring, I say OECs hands down. I think it will look much better. And I recommend at least 6mm especially since you have a large ring stone. Plus you can see the pattern better at that size and up.

I love them too DS!! I can see a very small tint difference in them but I figure no-one (other than Mr K) ever gets that close and they sit far enough away from each other that you really can't see the difference, and my priorities were matching facet pattern and maximising size. I agree with you that you probably want to go over 6mm to get the full benefit of the different sparkle. I would have loved 6.5mm but that would have pushed me well over the 2ct mark.

I only have one daughter (so far), so she is going to be a very very lucky lady ;-)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
misskittycat|1409457148|3742257 said:

I love them too DS!! I can see a very small tint difference in them but I figure no-one (other than Mr K) ever gets that close and they sit far enough away from each other that you really can't see the difference, and my priorities were matching facet pattern and maximising size. I agree with you that you probably want to go over 6mm to get the full benefit of the different sparkle. I would have loved 6.5mm but that would have pushed me well over the 2ct mark.

I only have one daughter (so far), so she is going to be a very very lucky lady ;-)

She surely is!!! :appl:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
missy|1409414476|3741989 said:
Hi valmanin, what an exciting project. :appl: I get what you are saying with the smaller size what makes an OEC special might be lost. OTOH the size you are looking for is respectable and I think you just might appreciate the difference b/w OEC and MRB.

My answer is of course to see them in person to know for sure. I forget where you are located but if you aren't local could you have Adam and Yekutiel send the contenders to you so you can decide for sure? It's the only way to be certain IMO and being this is an important purchase that would be my rec if possible.

I would choose the OEC just because I love OECs so much. The faceting and chunkiness wins hands down over MRBs for me. In fact I have lovely studs but they are MRB and I never wear them. I got them before I realized my love for OEC's and if I could go back in time I would have chosen OEC studs. I am not one for selling so I will just wait and perhaps one day get an OEC pair.

Good luck with your decision. I know whatever you choose will be beautiful.

Thanks Missy! I don't think I could ever love MRBs the way I love OECs so I'm with you there. :D However, there is something so appealing about just calling up a vendor, telling them your specs and buying matching stones. It took me almost a year to find my 3.55 OEC so maybe I'm a little jaded. :lol: But, if I am honest, beautifully cut and well matched OECs are my preference. Of course, a little part of me was hoping everyone would say "oh, at that size it doesn't matter...just get the MRBs!" It's all about instant gratification.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
junebug17|1409425932|3742048 said:
Hi valmanin, how exciting to be getting diamond studs! I love old cuts (I have one for my ering and a pendant) but for some reason I lean towards MRB's for studs (which is what I have) - I don't know, they just seem to sparkle and pick up the light so well. And I love mrbs too so it's a nice way to have the best of both worlds. But oec studs would be lovely too (although, yeah, kinda tricky to match up)- Hmm, I'm a big help! Whatever you decide will be beautiful, there really isn't a wrong choice. I guess you could wait and see what yekutiel and Adam come up with and decide from there.

hmmm...tell me more... :naughty: I think could really love the full wattage of MRBs! See...this is why I'm so wishy washy! :roll: :lol:

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock
misskittycat|1409454299|3742244 said:
I have both, so here is my 2c.

The first is a pair of 2 x 0.50ct (1.00tcw) G SI1 MRBs which I haloed - they kinda kook like these but with milgrain and the centre stone is more substantial. The sparkle like the devil. They are FAB.

http://www.tiffany.com.au/Shopping/Item.aspx?sku=23954141

I also have these, which are 1.82tcw. They are OECs, purchased from Erica very recently, set in her Sarah platinum bezels and they are just stunning.

They are a very very good pattern match in real life and that was what was important to me - one is a J (GIA certed), the other is an uncerted I/J, likely SI. In most lights it looks a fraction whiter than the J, but not that you notice. Both around the 6.2mm mark. The only thing that doesn't really match is the crown - the uncerted stone has a much lower crown but it honestly doesn't impact the performance. Face on, they are a fabulous pair. I am so glad I bought them - they have a different look to all the other MRB studs I see every day and I really like that they are different.

I like the more elegant, subtle flash and sparkle that they give off. I still wear my MRBs but I find myself gravitating towards the OECs more frequently. I love the bezel, it just makes the whole thing look so classy and elegant. All you see is the stone.

She has these at the moment that fall within your specs set:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-40ctw-old-european-cut-diamond-pair-uncerted-g-h-vs2/

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-46ctw-old-european-cut-diamond-pair-uncerted-k-l-vs2/

The other option could be transitionals? In between the two? Erica has this pair:

http://www.loveaffairdiamonds.com/1-33ctw-transitional-cut-diamond-pair-uncerted-j-k-vs2-si1/

Not sure what your budget is, but defintiely worth reaching out to her. I trust her implicitly when it comes to matching stones. She has an excellent eye. I couldn't be happier with the ones she found me.

Oh Good Ness!!! :love: Those are gorgeous! When I look at those I think OEC all the way baby! I have seriously considered the tranny pair...only concern is that they have very different patterns...one is classic tranny and one is more early :?: can't remember the name...Dreamer's make.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
valmanin|1409495142|3742394 said:
missy|1409414476|3741989 said:
I don't think I could ever love MRBs the way I love OECs

When I look at those I think OEC all the way baby!

Just going by your comments, I think you should go with OECs. You just seem to have a preference for them. The ones misskittycat posted are beautiful! They look well matched.

valmanin

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks DS! I don't think I can make it to 6mm yet. I have a pretty strict budget I'm working with. But, that is a great goal for the future.

I hope you do get a pair of AVR studs!! That would be such an amazing compliment to your e-ring!

Yep, definitely leaning OEC thanks to all of you! This was quite a helpful exercise! Looking forward to seeing what Adam comes up with. :D

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll be interested to see what he comes up with! I haven't seen too many loose matched pairs that were close enough to me, so it would be nice to see if he has a quantity that allows him to do that. Good luck!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh, very excited for you Valmanin! If anyone can come up with a matched OEC pair for earrings Adam can. Fingers crossed for you. :appl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results