shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC from Singlestone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
After trying to find a great OEC on my own, I decided to contact Ari and Singlestone, who seems to be the go-to guy for antique cuts. (He''s extremely helpful and knowledgeable, btw.)

He came up with a .97ct H/VS2 that''s in my price range.

Here''s a photo. Whaddya think?

oec  97.JPG

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is that the only photo (focus looks soft towards the bottom -- but could be my EYES). Is it GIA "H" or an uncerted "H"? (I'd trust Ari's opinion though)

Can't really tell if it appeals to me personally ... the photo doesn't really capture the big chunky monkey thing that OECs do.

ETA: would you be able to order it, check it out in person, but return if it wasn't to your taste???

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi Deco!

Thanks for the reply.

Yep, that''s the only photo. Ari admitted that it wasn''t the best. He''s trying to get out of town and I think he''s a bit rushed.

I definitely covet those chunky-monkey facets. It''s a big part of the appeal to me.

I can buy the stone and send it back if it''s not for me. He also has a J/K of about the same size, but seemed to think I''d like this one better. (Part of that might be my desire for a whiter stone, though.)

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
It could just be the angle of the photo, but I''m with Deco-the facets don''t look that chunky to me, which is what I really like about OECs. Can he snap you a different photo or are you able to return it if you don''t like it?

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi Thing2of2!

I could probably ask for a better photo next week when he returns. I can get it and return it, which is great.

Love getting this feedback from you guys. You have much better eyes for this kind of thing than I do!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/7/2007 7:02:48 PM
Author: kathleenmv
Hi Thing2of2!

I could probably ask for a better photo next week when he returns. I can get it and return it, which is great.

Love getting this feedback from you guys. You have much better eyes for this kind of thing than I do!
I would. This is definitely not enough if I were buying it. And I figure, why waste everyones time if it doesn''t have promise?

Ask for a few.
11.gif
2.gif

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Ellen! Appreciate the feedback!!

It''s so dang hard to do this sort of thing via the Internet. Thinking I might get the stone and see it in person. What do you think? Seems like it might be the best way to gauge whether or not it speaks to me.

I must say that Ari is extremely easy to work with and very concerned with getting me a stone that I love. I like that! :)

surfgirl

Ideal_Rock
kathleen, great that Ari found that stone for you but I agree with the others...wait til he returns and get some better photos and post them here. If the next photos are nice, I''d take it on approval. It looks really nice and he''s pretty fair about color gradings so an H VS is pretty good...nice sleuthing, woman!

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Hi surfgirl! Thanks for weighing in. :)

I got a little excited yesterday, and asked Ari to send the stone to me. I know, I know...I should''ve waited for additional pictures, but I decided I wanted to see the stone with my beady little eyes.

I''ll post my thoughts once I receive it--maybe some pics, too, although my photography skills are sadly lacking.

I''m pretty excited about seeing the stone. I really trust Ari and am thinking (hoping!) that it''s as beautiful as I think it is.

Thanks for all your help! Your input has been invaluable. :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
How exciting. I can''t wait to see what you think of it. Of course pictures to accompany your comments would be great!

Hope you just love it.

Vix

Shiny_Rock
Kathy, I don''t blame you a bit...especially since Ari has such a great rep!

As much as I do love love love all the photos of old cuts, "the eyes have it" when it comes to picking. I''ll be interested to see what you think when it arrives (and I admit I hope it''s a love match).

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
Ari''s nice but, yeah, that picture doesn''t wow me. I also would want it a lot more chunky. Hopefully it looks better in person.

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wow, tough crowd! Poor OEC...

It''s clearly not a good pic and likely doesn''t do justice to the diamond, even though I personally think it''s really pretty, even with the blurriness! I don''t think pics ever do justice to antique cuts because the stone really has to be in motion for the full WOW factor. I think it was a good decision to order it and see it in person. If it''s not the one, Ari will take it back and help you select another one!

I also think in the pic looks like the diamond''s not facing the camera completely head-on. And there seems to be a very small or no culet, which can make a big difference in the over all chunky look of the old cuts, IMHO. It''s just a matter of preference, culet vs. no culet, but will give you 2 very different looks.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks StoneHunter, Vix, Hest88 and ericad! Appreciate all of the good feedback.

Looks like the "chunk" factor is giving a lot of people pause, but that we can''t really be sure because the picture isn''t super clear. I''m glad to have the chance to see it in person. Sounds like a lot of you feel that these antique stones are best judged in real life.

Definitely anxious to get the stone and see what I think. Ari had another possibility for me (slightly larger with a lower color), so I''m not too worried. I know I''ll find "the one."

ericad, I see what you''re saying about the culet. I noticed that, too. It''ll be interesting to see what it''s like in person. The other stone Ari had recommended has a larger culet, so again, that might be a possibility if this one doesn''t make my heart go pitter-patter.

Thanks to you all for your input and help!! :) Stay tuned for further developments!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you love it. It''s obvious to me from the pic that the facets are chunkier than a modern. It looks decent from that pic...I hope it''s even better in person.

kathleenmv

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, FireGoddess! That gives me a boost of confidence. I''ve never been so worried about not being chunky enough. ;-) Hoping, as you say, the stone looks even better in person.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results