shape
carat
color
clarity

OEC experts: what should my budget be for an 8mm stone?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Take a look at Old World Diamonds to get a range of pricing. Looks like maybe $10-15k depending on specs since you'd be looking at about 2 cts to get 8mm in an OEC.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Thanks DS! I'm looking now, and seeing stones of that size in the 7-8k range, but I'm noticing that most of those have very thin girdles (which I don't want)- do you think that's the reason they're so much cheaper?

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Thin and variable girdles are totally the norm for old cuts. You can have a girdle faceted BUT I would actually advise against doing so because one of the telltale signs that a diamond is old versus newly cut is the girdle. As antique diamond values continue to soar due to rarity, these types of details will add value.

When comparing prices, make sure you're looking at apples to apples: EGL against EGL, or GIA versus GIA (all labs are not created equal - EGL is much softer than GIA or AGS). If you're comparing an EGL to a GIA stone, for example, be aware that the EGL stone's "true color" can be 2 or more grades lower than what GIA would grade it, so you must factor that into the pricing. So an EGL N may be a GIA-equivalent P or Q. So if you want a GIA M/N/O range stone, you'd want to look at EGL K/L/M range. I hope that makes sense, lol.

Good luck with your search!

Lookinagain

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you are going to find a GIA certed 8 mm stone in the top of your color range for 7-8k. I would think you'd be more in the low teens if you are looking in the L-M range.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
ericad|1441050196|3921756 said:
Thin and variable girdles are totally the norm for old cuts. You can have a girdle faceted BUT I would actually advise against doing so because one of the telltale signs that a diamond is old versus newly cut is the girdle. As antique diamond values continue to soar due to rarity, these types of details will add value.

When comparing prices, make sure you're looking at apples to apples: EGL against EGL, or GIA versus GIA (all labs are not created equal - EGL is much softer than GIA or AGS). If you're comparing an EGL to a GIA stone, for example, be aware that the EGL stone's "true color" can be 2 or more grades lower than what GIA would grade it, so you must factor that into the pricing. So an EGL N may be a GIA-equivalent P or Q. So if you want a GIA M/N/O range stone, you'd want to look at EGL K/L/M range. I hope that makes sense, lol.

Good luck with your search!

Thanks so much for explaining all that! :) Much appreciated.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1441077613|3921960 said:
Depending on how much patience you have...you may luck out on ebay:

Would look at this stone since they have a 14 day return policy....and make an offer.

Some of their stones are EGL but not this one. Looks like a K/L color to me and the clarity is high
and almost 8mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Art-Deco-Antique-Ring-2-83-cttw-w-Old-European-Cut-/111730680175?hash=item1a03aae16f

This one looks really good to me actually... I'm a little afraid of ebay... but I so appreciate you finding this for me. Hmmmm.....

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That center stone wouldn't be 8mm, but many people here have bought from ebay. It just takes some knowledge and a return policy to make it less risky.

Erica of Love Affair Diamonds and Grace of Jewels by Grace get stones in frequently. Watch their sites and facebook pages.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I would not only watch Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace's websites, I would also contact both of them and let them know you are hoping for an 8mm stone, and describe what type of OEC you prefer and your budget. If you're okay with a lower color (graded by GIA/AGS as Erica of Love Affair Diamonds pointed out above), the cost might not be as high.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
The center stone measures 7.89X7.75 4.90 which makes the depth around 62.8% which is pretty good for an OEC. Many are deeper like GOG's AVR's. Those measurements appear accurate for a 1.83c stone. It is way below your budget, especially if you make an offer. I would offer them $5k and free shipping. The face up picture is not showing a dark center under the table. They have advertised it as an I/J color and VVS clarity. If after you have it appraised it does not come back as that you can ask for more of a discount. It is good that you want a lower colored stone. But even at the price listed if it is a lower color and clarity it would be a reasonable price. Going through Paypal is very safe and you will always get your money back if you return the stone or it is not as advertised. This seller offers a no questions asked 14 day return policy which is very good for Ebay.

You can ask them to video the ring for you and they will send the video and more pictures to your cell phone. I would email them and ask specific questions and ask for more pictures face up with no tilt to see the faceting better...IF you are still considering this stone.

Ask:
1.Does it have nail head?
2.or fish-eye? (don't think it has nail head or fish-eye from any of those pics and the 62.8% depth).
3. Do the facets under the table turn off and on independently of each other or ALL ON and then ALL OFF?

I have communicated with this seller before and they are very accomodating in sending video and more pics and answering questions.

Many long time PSrs have purchased old cuts off of Ebay and some are keepers and some are returned. But if you are not used to buying on Ebay I can understand your hesitation. Old cuts are judged by the eye and not the numbers. The color of this stone looks K/L/M to me. Hopefully since they are saying (EGL?) I/J it will be a K/L.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Color: I -J

Clarity: VVS1-VVS2

Stone Weight: .1.83

7.89X7.75 4.90

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
diamondseeker2006 said:
That center stone wouldn't be 8mm, but many people here have bought from ebay. It just takes some knowledge and a return policy to make it less risky.

Erica of Love Affair Diamonds and Grace of Jewels by Grace get stones in frequently. Watch their sites and facebook pages.

8mm-ISH is ok with me :) Yes, I think I would rather have the peace of mind of getting something from a trusted vendor.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
rubybeth|1441118775|3922080 said:
I would not only watch Love Affair Diamonds and Jewels by Grace's websites, I would also contact both of them and let them know you are hoping for an 8mm stone, and describe what type of OEC you prefer and your budget. If you're okay with a lower color (graded by GIA/AGS as Erica of Love Affair Diamonds pointed out above), the cost might not be as high.

Yes! Great idea!

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
ariel144|1441120921|3922094 said:
The center stone measures 7.89X7.75 4.90 which makes the depth around 62.8% which is pretty good for an OEC. Many are deeper like GOG's AVR's. Those measurements appear accurate for a 1.83c stone. It is way below your budget, especially if you make an offer. I would offer them $5k and free shipping. The face up picture is not showing a dark center under the table. They have advertised it as an I/J color and VVS clarity. If after you have it appraised it does not come back as that you can ask for more of a discount. It is good that you want a lower colored stone. But even at the price listed if it is a lower color and clarity it would be a reasonable price. Going through Paypal is very safe and you will always get your money back if you return the stone or it is not as advertised. This seller offers a no questions asked 14 day return policy which is very good for Ebay.

You can ask them to video the ring for you and they will send the video and more pictures to your cell phone. I would email them and ask specific questions and ask for more pictures face up with no tilt to see the faceting better...IF you are still considering this stone.

Ask:
1.Does it have nail head?
2.or fish-eye? (don't think it has nail head or fish-eye from any of those pics and the 62.8% depth).
3. Do the facets under the table turn off and on independently of each other or ALL ON and then ALL OFF?

I have communicated with this seller before and they are very accomodating in sending video and more pics and answering questions.

Many long time PSrs have purchased old cuts off of Ebay and some are keepers and some are returned. But if you are not used to buying on Ebay I can understand your hesitation. Old cuts are judged by the eye and not the numbers. The color of this stone looks K/L/M to me. Hopefully since they are saying (EGL?) I/J it will be a K/L.

Hope this helps and good luck with your search.

Color: I -J

Clarity: VVS1-VVS2

Stone Weight: .1.83

7.89X7.75 4.90

Wow, this is incredibly, incredibly helpful!!! I so appreciate your detailed help with this!

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
Hi ariel144, I just emailed the seller (copying your questions verbatim, lol!) Thanks again and I'll let you know what happens! :)

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
You can go over to the "antique" section on PS and there are lists of antique vendors.

Here is a GIA 2.01c M color SI1 on ebay. Bad picture showing obstruction under the table. May just be
a bad picture.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Old-European-Brilliant-2-01-Carat-GIA-Certificate-/161807278887?hash=item25ac772327

Here is a great thread on an ebay find that was repolished by Single Stone...note how shallow her stone is:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-re-polish-results.142112/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/single-stone-re-polish-results.142112/[/URL]

And a round brilliant recut to an OEC:

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rb-to-oec-recut-before-and-after-pics.177547/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/rb-to-oec-recut-before-and-after-pics.177547/[/URL]

GOG might be able to find you a MRB to recut into an AVR since you are looking for a low color. pavillion angle has to
be over 41 degrees. Cost is about $300-350 per carat to recut. You would probably be looking at around $8-10k total.
These are options for those on a budget. this site has some of the best prices on the web. www.buydiamonddirect.com
but any vendor can access this list (Polygon).

Personally, if I were on a budget I would get a MRB recut into an OEC/AVR because you would know that you would get one of the best performing old cut faceted stones on the market. I look for a deep stone with a small table ...those will have the larger pavillion angles.

Good Old Gold can find you the best stone in your budget for a recut. Here is a recent discussion on the subject.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mrb-recut-to-oec.203484/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/mrb-recut-to-oec.203484/[/URL]

Here is one that is a U color. You will lose a little weight and mm size on the recut. Usually on a recut the color goes higher which is interesting.

2.53 U SI2 Excellent GIA 62.6 56 Medium Slightly Thick None Excellent Excellent Faint 8.66-8.7x5.43 $6,673.00

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Last I enquired, it was $800 per carat plus 15% rap to cut a stone into a GOG August vintage. bGD also does it and I think they charge 350-375/carat like their Mrb recuts.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Correction, its $800 per carat plus %5 over rap plus shipping 3 way (to/from cutter and back to customer) plus cost of certificate. It adds up and you don't know what you'll end up with.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
I believe Single Stone charges $300-350 per carat to recut into an OEC. Wow 800 per carat to recut to an AVR...interesting.

Just found this one on Ebay...these ppl will also send a video if you ask:
Also need the specs of the stone.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Platinum-Vintage-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-Engagement-Jewelry-Ring-1-98Ct/321841879375?_trksid=p2060778.c100276.m3476&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33135%26meid%3D06bf17cc843f4a24943f1843d2931ffe%26pid%3D100276%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26sd%3D262015735513

Be patient and you will find the one.

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
sugarski|1441154241|3922411 said:
arkieb1|1441153625|3922404 said:
Erica just listed this stone;

ttps://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Loose-Vintage-and-Antique-Diam/1F94ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-/i-zz9rnTb

I think recutting a stone into an AVR is probably going to be an expensive exercise and you have to find a stone deep enough to be able to turn into something decent to begin with.

I think that link is broken, but I believe I know the one you're talking about (from FB) and it seems beautiful :)

Sorry the link is broken it worked in the preview newsletter she sends out and it is on F/B listed as the 1.94 slightly warm coloured stone.

sugarski

Shiny_Rock
arkieb1|1441203474|3922613 said:
sugarski|1441154241|3922411 said:
arkieb1|1441153625|3922404 said:
Erica just listed this stone;

ttps://loveaffairdiamonds.smugmug.com/Loose-Vintage-and-Antique-Diam/1F94ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond-/i-zz9rnTb

I think recutting a stone into an AVR is probably going to be an expensive exercise and you have to find a stone deep enough to be able to turn into something decent to begin with.

I think that link is broken, but I believe I know the one you're talking about (from FB) and it seems beautiful :)

Sorry the link is broken it worked in the preview newsletter she sends out and it is on F/B listed as the 1.94 slightly warm coloured stone.

Hi arkieb1, just thought you might like to know- I did buy the LAD diamond. Can't wait to see it IRL. Thanks so much for your help!! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results