shape
carat
color
clarity

Octagon Cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hannah

Rough_Rock
love.gif
love.gif
love.gif

chialea

Brilliant_Rock
That's a really cool shape in the pictures... but for some reason it's listed as a round brilliant!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I saw that earlier today... I don't think I like that shape. I love RBs and cushions and cut-cornered squares and princesses, but this shape just kinda looks like a mish-mash.

Just my own personal aversion to the shape, the B'Scope sure makes it look pretty though.

Still, gimme a Jube any day over the octagon!
2.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
The shape looks like a stop sign. I much prefer my Jubilee.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi EP! Give me a Jubilee anyday too! The shape doesn't turn me off but it's just not my taste.

I also noticed that although the internal cut symmetry stated that it is an H&A, there isn't the faintest resemblance of an H&A pattern in the Lightscope picture. I also don't understand why it is listed as a RB with AGS grading of a triple ideal. It looks like a very brilliant stone in the BScope reading. I'm wondering if this cut maximizes the brilliance over fire & scintillation or if it is just for this particular diamond. I'd sure like to look at the Sarin report.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
It looks like he started the write-up on it and hasn't changed everything to reflect the actual diamond being shown.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guessed as much which is why Jonathan is always reluctant to share information on the latest cuts with us at PS until he has everything laid out completely and currectly. But then again, when we see something lovely and promising, can you blame a bunch of bling crazy people like us?

So Rhino, hurry up and update your info.
11.gif

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Chrono....what's the status of your ring setting?

Vatche's told GOG that they'd have my ring finished by the end of next week.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm so jealous to see that you'll receive your ring before I do.
9.gif

Mine will be ready in 2 weeks to 2 & 1/2 weeks. I just had a slight modification added plus I leave for my family reunion for one week next week which doesn't help one iota. I was hoping I'll get my ring before then to show it off to my family but I forgot to account for the time it takes to shop for the side sapphire stones. Oh well, can't win everytime. If I want it done right I'll just have to be patient (although it is very hard to be patient).

Have you thought about your proposal plans?

Patty

Ideal_Rock
My first thought when I saw this was, "STOP!"

Stop in the name of love, lol.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
We're going to Ireland the week before Labor Day and had planned to do it then.

If I get the ring next week I don't know if I'll be able to wait another three weeks to ask her. I'm starting to work on an alternative plan.

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
He's updated the info on this diamond and put it in their "For Sale" section.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Hi EP,

Yep. This one was sent in from one of our suppliers who are experimenting with Octagonal's. I'd say they did a heluva job considering they were taking it from scratch. It's not an H&A octagonal like the Isee2 but it's certainly not bad and can be measured on both the B'scope and the Isee2 due to it's 8 equal sides. Here is a picture I took of this stone the other day when I was posting the data. It does exhibit very high brilliance as it stands.

I am in conversations with the cutter now on how to improve this and to get stronger fire and perhaps better optical symmetry. You can view the facet structure from the 3d Sarin scan.

OCTAGONPIC.jpg

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

What would be the most flattering way to set this stone? Being artistically challenged, I have a hard time featuring a prong setting, and I think a bezel would be out......

Opinions?

Sharon

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would suggest a 4 prong with each prong on a side as opposed to a corner although 4 prongs set on 4 of the corners might make for an interesting look.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
how does it do on the round scale on the b-scope?
It would be nice if you ran all the new cuts on the round scale for comparison purpases.
imho the different scales on the b-scope are starting to annoy me id rather know where these stand in relation to other cuts all on the same scale than different scales for each shape to make the "levels" look better.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Drop me a pm/email on Tuesday for a reminder and I'll post the results here.

mdx

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 7/31/2004 12:55:35 PM Rhino wrote:

Hi EP,

Yep. This one was sent in from one of our suppliers who are experimenting with Octagonal's. I'd say they did a heluva job considering they were taking it from scratch. It's not an H&A octagonal like the Isee2 but it's certainly not bad and can be measured on both the B'scope and the Isee2 due to it's 8 equal sides. Here is a picture I took of this stone the other day when I was posting the data. It does exhibit very high brilliance as it stands.

I am in conversations with the cutter now on how to improve this and to get stronger fire and perhaps better optical symmetry. You can view the facet structure from the 3d Sarin scan.----------------

Hi Rhino
The Octagon shape is one of the fancy shapes that can relatively easily be cut to display Hearts and Arrows. We did a few for a number Asian clients. If you like I can pm you the Indexing table.

Johan

ep6585

Brilliant_Rock
Rhino - how does this octagon compare to the ISee2 octagon/square?

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks.
Looks like a sweet diamond.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
----------------
On 8/3/2004 5:55:48 PM ep6585 wrote:
Rhino - how does this octagon compare to the ISee2 octagon/square?----------------​

Good question EP.

The Isee2 Octagon has a greater degree of contrast due to the optical symmetry as well as being cut to a greater level of precision as is evidenced by each stones optical pattern. The angles to which this Octagon has been cut are not by any means *bad* as leakage is minimal. So the primary difference here is what we may refer to as "the positioning of mirrors". If this new Octagon had it's pavilion mains cut to a different angle, directing more light perpendicular to the crown we would see
a. more contrast in diffuse light
b. which would result in more blacks under LightScope
c. and greater fire in direct light.

What is interesting about this stone is that in diffuse lighting it is very *bright* as there are fewer facets that are reflecting back head obstruction (none to minimal blacks). So this is an interesting one. Generally we see either too much leakage (steep/deep combo's), too many darks as opposed to lights (shallow/shallow combo's), but in this stone the pendulum swings towards more lights than darks offsetting the contrast the opposite way. I would not necessearily say this is a *negative* thing depending upon the light condition you're observing it in but those blacks (in LS) are important to strong fire/sizzle in direct lights.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Interesting cut! It's not for me, but it might look really good once set!

Ep6585~
I'm SO happy your ring is almost complete! I can't wait to see it!!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results