shape
carat
color
clarity

No clue what I''m doing

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nferra1

Rough_Rock
Hi!

I have no idea what I''m doing when looking at diamonds. I did some google searches to try and learn something and found this site. It seems to be the most well informed community.

I have been to Tiffany''s with the GF and she has picked out a diamond. It''s quite pricey to say the least. It is in my price range so we can get it, but I would rather save some money if possible. We were looking at the 2 carat range with D or better color and VS1 or better clarity. I hear the cut is the most important and it also seems to be the most elusive as far as trying to figure out how it works. So I''ve looked around and I found this diamond:

From the GIA report
CARAT: 2.00
Shape: Cushion Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 7.28 x 6.94 x 4.72
Color: E
Clarity: VVS1
Polish: very good
symmetry: very good
florescence: none
comments: crown angles are greater than 40 degrees
Girdle: slightly thick - very thick, faceted

Details from the wholesaler:
Depth: 68%
Table: 59%
Make: Good
Culet: None
AGTA Code: N
Ideal Cut: No
Russian Cut: Yes
Notes: pinpoints in table

I''ve never even heard of Russian cut. Any help would be appreciated. The picture on the GIA report has a dot right in the middle of the diamond. Maybe it can''t be seen so its "ok", I don''t know. I''m very lost. Thanks in advance.

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Is budget relevant to you?

How about shape...is cushion modified brilliant an accident?

Notes below my signature are old, but perhaps still helpful.

Welcome!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aside from Ira''s comments, and before we go any further, would your gal mind if her stone/ring is not from Tiffany''s?

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/14/2009 2:41:05 PM
Author:nferra1
Hi!

I have no idea what I''m doing when looking at diamonds. I did some google searches to try and learn something and found this site. It seems to be the most well informed community.

I have been to Tiffany''s with the GF and she has picked out a diamond. It''s quite pricey to say the least. It is in my price range so we can get it, but I would rather save some money if possible. We were looking at the 2 carat range with D or better color and VS1 or better clarity. I hear the cut is the most important and it also seems to be the most elusive as far as trying to figure out how it works. So I''ve looked around and I found this diamond:

From the GIA report
CARAT: 2.00
Shape: Cushion Modified Brilliant
Measurements: 7.28 x 6.94 x 4.72
Color: E
Clarity: VVS1
Polish: very good
symmetry: very good
florescence: none
comments: crown angles are greater than 40 degrees
Girdle: slightly thick - very thick, faceted

Details from the wholesaler:
Depth: 68%
Table: 59%
Make: Good
Culet: None
AGTA Code: N
Ideal Cut: No
Russian Cut: Yes
Notes: pinpoints in table

I''ve never even heard of Russian cut. Any help would be appreciated. The picture on the GIA report has a dot right in the middle of the diamond. Maybe it can''t be seen so its ''ok'', I don''t know. I''m very lost. Thanks in advance.
Oh, I''m going to be watching this thread! This might be a good one! LOL

nferra1

Rough_Rock

I was looking in the 35k area. But if I can get the same thing from a wholesaler then it seems to make sense to do so as long as we don''t need a Tiffany ring. 35k would probably be my ideal price, but if a ring that costs a little more makes her happy, then so be it. I''m just trying to find something that allows for me to make her happy while spending the least amount of money.

Cushion is what she wants, and I have heard that you want one that was modified for brilliance. So that seemed to be perfect.

She doesn''t care that it is Tiffany''s, however she wouldn''t be "upset" if it was. Actually, going to another vendor was her idea.

Thanks Regular Guy for the links. I will read those.

Mausketeer: I know, I''m sure I will make a huge mistake along the way.
2.gif

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Without much hesitation, I'd encourage you to take advantage of the rich vetting on this board that can steer you to:

GOG

For many options...

One of which is this one.

(edited to add) you can spend more and less there, with substantive choices, and impressive tests for quality of cut...perhaps the best the industry offers, anywhere.

Regards,

mausketeer

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/15/2009 3:28:34 PM
Author: nferra1

I was looking in the 35k area. But if I can get the same thing from a wholesaler then it seems to make sense to do so as long as we don''t need a Tiffany ring. 35k would probably be my ideal price, but if a ring that costs a little more makes her happy, then so be it. I''m just trying to find something that allows for me to make her happy while spending the least amount of money.

Cushion is what she wants, and I have heard that you want one that was modified for brilliance. So that seemed to be perfect.

She doesn''t care that it is Tiffany''s, however she wouldn''t be ''upset'' if it was. Actually, going to another vendor was her idea.

Thanks Regular Guy for the links. I will read those.

Mausketeer: I know, I''m sure I will make a huge mistake along the way.
2.gif
Oh nferra1 I hope I wasn''t too much of a killjoy! There have been a few threads on here recently that started out as "she wanted Tiffany but I told her I''d get her something BETTER!" and it didn''t turn out so well......

As long as you listen to what the experts on here suggest, you''ll do fine, I''m sure (and you were smart enough to find PS in the first place!) You sound like a great guy (lucky girl!) Best of luck and congratulations to you both!

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I second contacting GOG, let them know what you''re looking for and your budget. They have a new line of cushions that are killer. And the best part is, they''ll do a video comparison for you. Here''s a sample.

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/5416/

They also can do a custom setting for you.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Just a little thing since it seems most everything else has been addressed, but D colour is the highest there is--you can''t go any higher in colourless diamonds than D.
1.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/16/2009 6:57:17 AM
Author: gwendolyn
Just a little thing since it seems most everything else has been addressed, but D colour is the highest there is--you can''t go any higher in colourless diamonds than D.
1.gif
Ha, good catch.
9.gif
Miss Gwen is correctamundo!

And almost no one can tell the difference between D and F, by itself. Just a hint.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results