shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie needs advice on round brilliant cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

sharan1

Rough_Rock
I have been saving for a long time for this diamond ( been married for 15yrs with no engagement ring!!!) - so I really, really want to make sure I get the best diamond for my money but now I need an experts advice as I can''t see these diamonds myself to compare........ I have been looking on the web for a couple of weeks and have shortlisted 2 diamonds. I''m worried that the EGL diamond maybe too yellow but it''s dimensions seem to be excellent and it should have planety of fire and brilliance ( which is what I really want). On the other hand the GIA diamond should be whiter with the flouresence but it''s dimensions aren''t as good - so will I loose on sparkle and fire???? Please help a newbie make the right choice. Thanks!

Ist Diamond
1.32 carat, color J with strong flourescence,
SI1, Cut - V Good,
Depth - 63.5%
Table 57%
Crown - 15.2%
Pavillion 44.2%
Polish- V Good
Symmetry - V Good.
GIA certified -.price $4915.

2nd Diamond
1.29 carat, color I, no flourescence,
VS2, Cut - Ideal,
Depth - 61.1%
Table 57%
Crown - 15%
Pavillion 43%
Polish - excellent
symmetry - excellent
EGL certified -.price $4822.

glamgirl

Shiny_Rock
But cannot rely on EGL to be what they say it is, not as accurate as GIA.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey sharan
35.gif
welcome to ps and congratulations on finally getting your engagement ring!

the first stone is too deep for my taste and with the limited information you have, i like the second one better. can you provide more information? what are the dimensions?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Belle, number 1 is too deep, the second one might be a winner possibly. Also welcome
35.gif
Bear in mind too what Glamgirl said about EGL being more lenient with grading, of course the price you pay will be less too. Is it EGL USA certed? Also do you have the girdle thickness and fluoresence if appropriate?

sharan1

Rough_Rock
21.gif

Hi Belle and Glamgirl - thanks for your help.
The dimensions of the EGL 1.29 ring are:
6.98 x 6.94 x 4.52

sharan1

Rough_Rock
Lorelei - no, its not EGL from the US.

I know I''m taking a chance on the color of this diamond as I''ve read that EGL diamonds can be a color grade down from what their certified as, but that being the case - worst case scenario is I''d end up with a J equivalent. I think I''ll win with the price though as it''s about $1000 less than the GIA certified diamonds and the holloway cut advisor points to it having excellent light return, fire and scintillation.

What do you think?

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think if you see the diamond and love it - get an independant appraisal, I have heard that EGL Israel and Antwerp are not as reliable as EGL USA. However if you don't plan on ever trading in the diamond and you love it, the price could be reasonable then why not? Just be aware that the above EGLS it may be that their grading may be a couple of grades more than the diamond deserves 1.e. an I could be a K etc and the same with clarity. If you have all the info at your disposal this makes the decision easier. I ran the numbers through the HCA and it scored well, so maybe take a look! Where did you find this diamond? You should be able to get the diamond appraised during the return period. Just really compare and see what else is available before commiting, JMO I have an EGL USA graded diamond which I love, I don't think I would be comfortable with Israel or Antwerp but it is a personal thing and if you both love the diamond that is what is most important. If you love it, get that appraisal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results