shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie looking for loose round diamond -opinion on this one?

macefsc

Rough_Rock
backstory:

my wife lost her engagement ring few weeks back.

She had a 3 stone - with a center diamond: 1.15 I color, SI1,

It was graded by EGL - USA and we paid $4,500 for it back in 2010.

Once we got the insurance check, we went back to the same store, and had the same band ordered.

that cost $850 back in 2010, and now was 1200.

After the insurance check --- we have just under $6,000 to spend on a new center stone.

We checked some out at the original store, but nothing "wowed" her. too yellow, or not enough sparkle... or "too small" etc.

so i have turned to the online forums and stores to try to find something that would work.

After reading these forums for the last week -- i am swayed into thinking CUT may be the most important factor for her.

She didnt mind the inclusions in her SI1 at all. she has said many times, inclusions dont bother her --- she just wants it to "sparkle" and not be smaller than her last one.

that being said -- I think GIA gradings of I color, excellent cut, SI1 or SI2 would be the best fit. and something around or over her 1.15 would be idea.

I found this on James Allen:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.20-carat-i-color-si2-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-370243

i know she would LOVE a bigger stone than before --- and i am not scared by the Si2 rating ---

what do you think as far as the "sparkle" ? How can i tell? I have read about the 60/60 % before -- which this has exactly.

Please advise?!?!?!

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Newbie looking for loose round diamond -opinion on this

I'd keep looking. That one scores a 3.3 on the HCA tool:

https://www.pricescope.com/tools/hca

You want to keep it under 2. If you find a diamond you like, plug in the #s from the GIA certificate to determine whether the diamond is a worthy purchase. THEN, ask for an idealscope image to make sure that it doesn't have any light leakage. I'm sure Gypsy will jump in and say this 100000x better than I can. She has helped me tremendously with all this stuff ;-)

If you find 3 worthy diamonds (using the HCA calculator) at James Allen, you can ask them for idealscope images-- you get 3 images for free, so you might as well pull 3 diamonds for their analysis. Post the images here and we can help you.

macefsc

Rough_Rock

awesome........ thanks for that advice, and a little extra trick to finding the right one!

really appreciate the bit of advice. I will keep searching.

macefsc

Rough_Rock

Found this one using the search on Pricescope:

http://www.solomonbrothers.com/DiamondDetail.aspx?sku=78FFH3Y3&affiliate=9318613A-AD0C-4530-A456-0409DFEFB8DE&utm_source=PriceScope

http://www.gia.edu/cs/Satellite/?childpagename=GIA/Page/ReportCheck&pagename=GIA/Dispatcher&c=Page&cid=1355954554547&reportno=2176981885

Using that chart - assuming I filled in the information correctly:

Factor Grade
Light Return Very Good
Fire Excellent
Scintillation Very Good
Spread
or diameter for weight Excellent
Total Visual Performance 1.5 - Excellent
within TIC range

canvasback

Shiny_Rock

macefsc

Rough_Rock

is there anything else i should be using to narrow down my search?

We have 14 Round diamonds between 1.14-1.28 carat, $4500-$6200, G-I color, VVS2-Sl1 clarity, Excellent HCA, labs: GIA

is what i have used on the diamond search for this site.

if they have an excellent HCA number - i assume that means it will have the "sparkle" i am going for?

canvasback

Shiny_Rock

macefsc|1412194643|3760084 said:
if they have an excellent HCA number - i assume that means it will have the "sparkle" i am going for?

Negative. It only means that it has the capabilities and needs to be further looked into via actual images, idealscope images, Aset images, actual video performance....etc... The more of these you have, the more you know about the stone.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

You're eliminating the worst performers with the HCA tool, but to ensure that you have a good sparkler, you will want an idealscope image. Most vendors can send you one, just ask! And then post it here so we can help.

alpackie

Shiny_Rock

I'm just curious, is there a particular reason you are looking at GIA-cert only diamonds, and not including AGS ones in your search? Is it the pricepoint?

macefsc

Rough_Rock

alpackie|1412227792|3760406 said:
I'm just curious, is there a particular reason you are looking at GIA-cert only diamonds, and not including AGS ones in your search? Is it the pricepoint?

I guess strictly budget. I am trying my best with the limited knowledge I have.

In reality, I don't care where it was graded. Just that it is in my budget and looks great well performing stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results