shape
carat
color
clarity

Newbie in UK searching for an online diamond

bling_182

Rough_Rock
Hi all,

New to the forum here. I'm based in the UK and thinking of getting an engagement ring from Blue Nile.

Looking for a 1ct ring with a simple 14K white gold setting. I've narrowed down to the diamond below and want to check with the members here to make sure the numbers are good. I understand I can't see the actual image of the diamond with Blue Nile, that's why I narrow my search for a VS1 or above rock, and I guess I will just to have it checked out by an appraiser (any recommendation - London based) once it arrived otherwise I can always send it back to Blue Nile.

Do you think the I colour would have a noticeable tint against the setting?
Also should I worry about the comment on the report stating additional clouds and pinpoints are not shown?

Thanks! :clap:
Bling_182

5186676038_0.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It doesn't hurt to ask if a picture is available, sometimes they are.

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please also compare this with sites like Whiteflash and James Allan who do provide informative pictures, ASETs etc and will ship to the UK. You might feel more comfortable going with a lower clarity if you can see what you're getting and maybe get more for your money??

Zizzy

Shiny_Rock
I would second Snowdrop's recommendation of Whiteflash. I am in the UK and was close to buying a Whiteflash 2.81 triple ideal AGS when my partner surprised me with a marriage proposal and a De Beers solitaire. Although I never got to proceed with the stone, my recommendation is based on the following:
Excellent customer service: prompt, informed but not pushy responses.
Lots of AGS ideal stones available as well as GIA
FANTASTIC images available, particularly on their signature ideal stones:sarin, aset, Idealscope - the works
Even allowing for the nasty VAT and import duty, you can buy a quality stone more cheaply than elsewhere in the UK - with the possible exception of Blue Nile - but then without those images how do you know you're comparing like with like.
Good luck and let us know what you decide. X

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in the UK, and if I were to get a diamond online, I would go to the like of Whiteflash, James Allen, Good Old Gold and Brian Gavin Diamonds.

Blue Nile does not provide as much information about their diamonds when compared with the ones mentioned above.

I know for certain that I can get a better diamond for less money by importing from abroad, even after pay for import duties and handling charges etc...

I always treat my purchases from abroad as one-way only, as in no return, as it is not worth the efforts (not for me). I would sell what I do not like via eBay instead. With jewellery, I usually get back what I paid for, as jewellery in UK is so expensive!

As for colour, I consider I-colour stones as good buys.

Good luck with your search.

DK :))

bling_182

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. However I do feel more comfortable knowing returns with Blue Nile would be more straight forward then one that was imported, also I'm not experience in selling off jewellery on ebay if things went south.
Hopefully by picking a VS1 or above I can eliminate the clarity issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results