shape
carat
color
clarity

New to the diamond search! Please help!

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
Hi everyone! My SO and I have chosen the setting for my e-ring (yay!), but are not well versed in all things diamonds. We are picking setting that will be a victorian style halo in 14k rose gold. For this setting we need a Round diamond that is between 5.75 and 6.0 mm.

It is very important to me that the diamond does not have any inclusions present when I hold it up close and look! We are wanting to stay close to the $2-3k range, the closer to $2k the better. I am open to warmer colored diamonds, I love J colored stones.

We have been looking on James Allen and have been impressed with the fact that you can actually see the diamond we would be purchasing, but thanks to this website have also been looking on whitefish.

If anyone has helpful advice or knows of a diamond in this category that seems like a great find we would really appreciate any advice!

An example of a diamond that we thought would be ok:

http://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-2978572.htm#

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think that Whiteflash ACA is an outstanding choice!

I have one about that size and it is a beautiful fireball.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That diamond from WF is beautiful are you working with them as well on the setting?

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
We are not working with them on the setting, will be purchasing a loose stone and having it set with a local jeweler. We are getting the gabriel and co setting: in 14k rose gold

http://www.gabrielny.com/engaged/style/ER7542W44JJ

Was wondering on that particular diamond when you pull up the diamond certificate, how to understand the images of light performance. Does that seem to be too much light leakage?

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN: that price point is wonderful on that diamond. What about it makes the price significantly less??

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
B2C has low prices in general, you are comparing it to a branded stone which carries a markup. Other than the VG polish, nothing obvious, you'd have to ask B2C about it and maybe it is a lucky K or maybe it is nothing.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
is your local setter also getting the Gabriel setting for you?

ooh I like the stone that Julie linked as well... as for price. some vendors are more of a drop shipper not a whole lot of "services" and they can cut their profit margin down a bit. This same diamond could cost you well over 3k if you were to get it from a local chain since they have more overhead cost to cover.

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
D&T|1385493768|3563333 said:
is your local setter also getting the Gabriel setting for you?

ooh I like the stone that Julie linked as well... as for price. some vendors are more of a drop shipper not a whole lot of "services" and they can cut their profit margin down a bit. This same diamond could cost you well over 3k if you were to get it from a local chain since they have more overhead cost to cover.

Our local jeweler is going to be more of a middle man, we will buy the setting from them. He quoted a .71ct J SI2 "eye clean" (not sure of cut) for 2200. Saying it was a special price he could do as the diamond should be 3500. From the little I do know about diamonds I felt that this was not the best pricing we could find at all. We said we wanted to do a bit more research and he told us that if we want to bring in a loose stone we can, which is why we are looking online! :wink2:

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1385491669|3563312 said:
B2C has low prices in general, you are comparing it to a branded stone which carries a markup. Other than the VG polish, nothing obvious, you'd have to ask B2C about it and maybe it is a lucky K or maybe it is nothing.

What is a lucky k? :)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
a really low J that might also be called a K.

sparkle45

Shiny_Rock
I found a few other settings based on the beautiful one you've picked out that I thought you might like in the same price range:

http://www.jewelsbyericagrace.com/jbeg_signature_settings::

Click "Signature Settings Portfolio"

$2125 for the Gabbie Halo

(Here is a RG Gabbie: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SignatureSettingsPortfolio/Halo/The-Gabbie-Halo-in-Rose-Gold/16314891_p6pb9W#!i=1226213531&k=4mtQqVk)

(Here is the Gabbie with a .74: http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/SignatureSettingsPortfolio/Halo/The-Gabbie-Halo-074/31453604_bbP8Tp#!i=2724083929&k=XVcnM8Z)

$2325 for the Kylie Halo

Stone-wise, if you like the antique cuts, here's one that looks PERFECT!

.75 J on holiday sale for $2,185

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/075ct-Old-European-Cut-Diamond/30679312_pGXFsM#!i=2650311564&k=JDQN5Jd

And if you prefer smaller culets, and a more modern cut...

.90 L for $2,850

http://jewelsbyericagrace.smugmug.com/Jewelry/Loose-Diamonds/90ct-Loose-Transitional-Cut/33006277_QLCLXC#!i=2860787252&k=V2cRD3K

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1385496650|3563357 said:
a really low J that might also be called a K.

So we have been looking at the diamond on b2c and in the past few hours it has gone up $40... Is this common with online sites? This is super frustrating to me!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can ask if they would be willing to honor the old price.

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1385529541|3563693 said:

When we asked the live chat representative he told me we would have to pay the current price and that diamonds just go up randomly and due to the holidays they will continue to increase in price-- I was super excited about this stone but am now super turned off to this company :/ ( I know it's only $40 but eek! Still!!!)

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
IMO it would just be a courtesy to honor an old price if you hadn't started any inquiries yet. If you had already emailed/chatted with them about it, usually the price gets locked in. But you can always buy from another company.

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
Oliviajuice|1385530075|3563697 said:
JulieN|1385529541|3563693 said:

When we asked the live chat representative he told me we would have to pay the current price and that diamonds just go up randomly and due to the holidays they will continue to increase in price-- I was super excited about this stone but am now super turned off to this company :/ ( I know it's only $40 but eek! Still!!!)

...and it's gone up another $20. Wow.

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1385530859|3563709 said:
IMO it would just be a courtesy to honor an old price if you hadn't started any inquiries yet. If you had already emailed/chatted with them about it, usually the price gets locked in. But you can always buy from another company.

All good points, maybe I'll try to give them a call. Any advice on similar stones for us to consider? Clearly you have lovely taste!!!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You know I'd probably call IDJ and let them know what you're looking for. They carry Gabriel settings and it is always more convenient to get the diamond and setting at the same place.

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1385531852|3563721 said:
You know I'd probably call IDJ and let them know what you're looking for. They carry Gabriel settings and it is always more convenient to get the diamond and setting at the same place.

Purchased the b2c diamond you recommended, just got it--here are a few quick pics--let me know what you think!!!

image_847.jpg

image_849.jpg

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks pretty! How do you feel? Did you get it matched up to the GIA report by an appraiser?

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1386361751|3568984 said:
Looks pretty! How do you feel? Did you get it matched up to the GIA report by an appraiser?

I feel good! It sparkles like crazy from every angle! I've never owned a round diamond so I don't really have anything to compare it to, but I was thinking of taking it to our jeweler and maybe comparing to similar cuts?

We just got it in the mail last night and I am at work now, so planning on taking it in tomorrow to gave it appraised, makes the most sense right? That's how I would go about verifying the quality?

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sometimes an appraiser will grade the stone and after s/he concludes you can check if it matches the GIA. Up to one color or clarity grade off + or - is normal. Just curious if B2C gives you the H&A images or ASET scan, too?

I understand you have a local guy you are buying the setting from. He shouldn't give you an appraisal on price, but he should also verify the stone against the report before he takes your stone for setting.

Oliviajuice

Rough_Rock
JulieN|1386362624|3568996 said:
Sometimes an appraiser will grade the stone and after s/he concludes you can check if it matches the GIA. Up to one color or clarity grade off + or - is normal. Let them know you are looking at a pre-purchase appraisal. Just curious if B2C gives you the H&A images or ASET scan, too?

I understand you have a local guy you are buying the setting from. He shouldn't give you an appraisal on price, but he should also verify the stone against the report before he takes your stone for setting.

They did not send them along with the stone-- I believe those images were with the original listing? I apologize if Im not answering your question correctly? They sent us the loose diamond with the GIA certificate.

What exactly does a pre-purchase appraisal mean? We are purchasing the setting through a jeweler in the area (TQ Diamonds) and they have certified appraisers, I believe. We just want to be sure we bought the diamond for a fair price? And verify its quality. I'm not sure if there are different questions I should be asking if I am to take the stone in.

They had quoted a .71ct SI2 for about $700 more than we got this diamond for!

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A lot of appraisers give very inflated replacement values, I guess expectation drives demand for it. If you plan to insure it, the appraiser needs to appraise it with the setting. So because it is loose right now, and you are not looking for an inflated value but simply a fair Internet price, I guess I'm calling that a pre-purchase appraisal, even though you already bought it. https://www.pricescope.com/wiki/diamond_appraisers_why_you_need_one_and_what_expect

If you plan to insure it, print out the images from B2C to submit to your insurance company as well.

If you just want it verified against the report your jeweler that you are getting the setting from can do that, he should make sure that what he is taking is what you say it is, and when you pick it up he should be sure that you are getting back your stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results