shape
carat
color
clarity

New Teaching - Free Starbucks to the 1st 20 who get it.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Greetings PS family,

I wonder if ya’ll could help me out and participate in an exercise I’d like to conduct.

With the usage and popularity of reflector based images and the many sites that are cropping up showing these images I felt it necessary to write an article on the subject to help consumers decipher exactly what it is they are and aren’t seeing with this technology. The title of the article is “A Comprehensive Guide to Reflector Based Technology” which will be covering all the reflector scopes including IdealScope, FireScope, SymmetryScope, LightScope and also the newly released desktop ASET. While I’m not the only person who is familiar with this technology I am perhaps one of the only people who has worked with all of them quite intimately, some more extensively than others. In this article we will be covering

a. History and Development
b. The Future of Reflectors
c. Photography Through the Reflectors
d. The Strengths and Weakness of Reflectors and
e. What Gemological Information Can be Learned from the Reflectors.

Time and hardware/software solutions have prevented me from continuing this article but with the recent arrival of our desktop ASET and Octonus’ Helium scanner we are now equipped to move on. The subject matter of this thread involves the types of information that can be garnered from the optical signature of a diamond as seen and observed through reflectors (this one being LightScope in particular) and is something I’ve been studying over the course of the past 5 years.

The goal of this thread is simply to see if I am communicating this particular subject in a manner that is easy to understand to the layman. While knowledge is a wonderful thing, if it can not be communicated in meaningful terms and language that a common layman can understand then I have failed in my job as an educator and must return to the drawing board. This is why I appreciate any feedback I get in this experiment. As a small reward in participating I will be treating the first 20 people who get the 2 answers correct that I''ll be asking. I''ll featuring a graphic taken through LightScope (taken by myself) of a diamond and will ask 2 questions about it which we’ll get to in a moment. People in the trade may participate as well but only to the first 20 consumers who get the 2 answers right will we send a gift certificate to Starbucks. :razz: Leonid if you could, I respectfully ask that you keep this thread at the top of the forum so the consumers have a chance to participate and win if they get the answres correct.

The Study: Azimuth Angles and Their Impact Upon the Optical Design of a Round Brilliant Cut Diamond

What are azimuth angles you might ask?

Each facet of a diamond is cut to two different angles/orientations. (See graphic below) One of those angles would be considered the slope angles. The other would be azimuth angles. When a person reads an AGS Report or a Sarin/OGI Report the angles that are being reported are slope angles. In most instances it is just an average of the 8 crown bezels and the 8 pavilion mains. The slope angles are those which are measured in the north/south orientation and many gemologist’s and even expert layman are familiar with what combinations of slope angles produce good brilliance within a diamond.

Non-contact measuring devices such as Sarin and OGI show the appraiser/jeweler the details of these slope angles. Some in greater detail than others depending upon the hardware/software configuration they purchased from that manufacturer as there are differing models of Sarin/OGI machines ranging from 6k to 25k. We are proud to announce that besides AGS and GIA we are the first American gem lab to possess what some experts have described as “the finest measuring device available today”. This measuring device is Helium and I can’t help but agree with those who have seen or used it. I have seen the results from it but only now, with hands on experience am I really beginning to learn and understand the capabilities of this awesome piece of gemological lab equipment.

Ok … so … slope angles are measured in the north/south orientation. Well … facets are also cut in an east/west orientation as well. This east/west orientation would be referred to as the “azimuth angle” and is generally not found in any appraisals you’ll see as no non-contact measuring devices report the results of azimuth angles or how far they deviate from ideal (besides Helium). Up until now this has generally remained amongst the conversations of cutters so I will do my best to communicate this to the layman.

When the azimuth angle of a diamond deviates to a certain degree away from being ideal a shift in the facet occurs resulting in what would properly be described as yaw. To our knowledge and to his credit Brian of WF is the first cutter to use the term and identify this east/west shift in the pavilion view through a Hearts & Arrows viewer through the pavilion side of a diamond. All kudos’ to Brian for making the identification and pointing this out as well as Bruce Harding for graphics demonstrating the phenomena in a simple and easy to understand manner. While the focus of my personal studies has been the effects of this east/west shift through the crown, Brian’s focus has been the observance of it through the pavilion and we would agree that the pavilion view would be the easiest way to assess this feature of azimuth angles resulting in yaw since there are many factors that can alter a diamonds optical signature (such as tilt, out of roundness, etc.). However since a diamond is viewed through the crown the focus of our study concentrates on answering the question “How does a shift in pavilion azimuth angles affect the optical design of a diamond in the face up position?”

You see, before yaw can be considered, there must be an altercation in the azimuth angles first. If we can identify & photograph the shift in azimuth angles then the logical conclusion is that we can also photograph and observe the effects of yaw in the face up position as well but let’s not jump ahead of ourselves. After the teaching I will be posing the following questions to those consumers who would like to participate. After posting a reflector based image with NO numbers I will be asking the following questions.

1. Which facet(s) deviate from ideal?
2. Which orientation (east or west) does the facet shift to?

If after the teaching most people are getting it wrong then back to the drawing board for me.

14.gif
If you guys/gals pay attention and get it right … Starbucks on me.
9.gif
All feedback of course is appreciated and any insight on how to communicate it more clearly is appreciated as well.

Let’s begin the study.

diamondprofile.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I will bet that Storm and belle will keep your wallet empty. After dinner, I will read this with great interest as I have major catching up to do with those two.
3.gif
11.gif
9.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

We will begin by examining an extremely well cut diamond that not only has ideal slope angles but ultra tight azimuth angles, particularly on the pavilion. This first graphic shows all of this diamonds slope angles on both the crown and the pavilion.

If you take note of the pavilion view, minimum and maximum pavilion angles range from 40.75° – 40.86°. A variance of only .11°. ULTRA TIGHT.
emsmilep.gif
Looking further at the lower half angles the minimum lower half angle (in red) is 41.86° with a maximum lower half angle at 41.97° (green). A variance of only .11°. (Hrm… how interesting!) So all pavilion slope angles are not only cut to ideal proportions but when we look at them on a facet by facet basis there is very little deviation with the result being ultra tight precision in the cutting.

br72kvs1slopes.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2005 6:00:15 PM
Author: kaleigh
I will bet that Storm and belle will keep your wallet empty. After dinner, I will read this with great interest as I have major catching up to do with those two.
3.gif
11.gif
9.gif
Tell me about it! Storm and Belle ... I''m getting dizzy already.
3.gif
14.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

This next graphic demonstrates just how far each pavilion facet (and crown too) deviates from its ideal azimuth angle. A cursory review of the graphic shows on the pavilion mains a minimum deviation of -.06 degrees (red) with a maximum deviation of +0.18° (green). When we examine the lower halves the minimum deviation is -.08° and max is only .25°

That’s less than a half a degree deviation from ideal on all azimuth angles. Unprecedented precision in cutting.

br72kvsazimdev.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

The resultant optical signature is this.

Rich dark reds under the table coupled with perfect contrast. Super ideal cut diamonds do not get better than this. While we were able to identify this optical signature for a few years now it was only last week that we were able to correlate the numerical data with the optical signature including that of azimuth angles.

br72kvs1ls2.jpg

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Let’s take this example of optical precision and see what happens when we start twisting in an east/west orientation, facets on the pavilion (thus altering azimuth angles) and see how it impacts the optical signature. We will do this with a virtual model via DiamCalc.

This first image is similar to the picture of the ideal stone used in the first example above.

Helium allows us to unlock certain features in DiamCalc that allow us to “recut” a facet and change its angles (slope or azimuth), thus seeing in detail how this impacts the optical signature. However a little Australian birdie told me this can also be done by saving a .dmc file as a .dxf file then reopening it.
3.gif

dcexample01.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This graphic is showing which facet we’re going to alter. It is the lower half facet directly to the right of the “arrow” facet at 12:00 highlighted in purple. Its assigned azimuth angle is 78.75 degrees. Any deviation in the negative or positive direction alters this azimuth angle away from being ideal.

azimuth02.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
This graphic is showing that we will be altering this azimuth angle +2 degrees away from its ideal angle from 78.75° to 80.75°. A shift in angle to the positive direction is (according to my email conversations with Sergey) a shift to the right or eastern orientation. Conversely a shift in angle to the negative would be a shift in the left or western orientation. Are ya''ll with me so far?

azimuth03.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade

Here is the resultant signature.

Bye bye to the dark red reflection in that lower half facet as well as the black reflection at the arrow shaft.

You can also see the results, to a lesser degree in this diamonds opposite corresponding facet.

azimuth06.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Now let’s twist that facet to the west orientation from 78.75 to 76.75.

azimuth04.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A notably different shift in the optical design takes place now with the black at the arrow shaft becoming more pronounced in the twisted facet plus the effects of pale red as seen in that facet as well.

azimuth07.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The challenge: Both questions must be answered correctly.

1. Identify which facet deviates most obviously from its ideal azimuth angle.
2. Is it skewed in the east or west orientation?

Let the games begin!
36.gif

After I get ample answers to this I'll post the exact azimuth angles on this diamond for verification and confirmation.

br133fvs2ls.jpg

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well it''s a good thing I don''t drink coffee. This stuff is way over my head, Lol.
34.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2005 6:42:13 PM
Author: Rhino

Let the games begin!
36.gif

After I get ample answers to this I''ll post the exact azimuth angles on this diamond for verification and confirmation.

Rhino
from this photo....i think one of the heart will look smaller compare to teh others.

pad3006

Shiny_Rock
hi; yeah that is really cool about the angles and all that but it is also way over my head too. But thanks very much, it is interesting, I just need to learn more about all that. Thanks

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I have read this over and over. I know I may be wrong, but is that it''s the facet between 12 and 1 o''clock and it has a west deviation???? Ok don''t shoot me for guessing, I pray I''m not too far off the mark????
33.gif

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I guessed almost the same thing Kaliegh. I PMd him almost that same thing. It looks like the example 2 posts above the question post.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Cool ame. All my best friends love Starbucks and while they have coffee, I drink hot chocolate, yummm. I hope we got the right answer.
18.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My apologies. I should have made the pavilion facets easier to identify. P1 - P8 for the 8 pavilion main facets and lg1 - lg16 for the 16 lower girdles.

For clarification

1. identify which facet by its id #
2. along with orientation.

If I''m reading you ladies right you''re saying lg1 in the west orientation?

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/6/2005 7:06:33 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Let the games begin!
36.gif

After I get ample answers to this I''ll post the exact azimuth angles on this diamond for verification and confirmation.

Rhino
from this photo....i think one of the heart will look smaller compare to teh others.
Why do you think this DF? I''m not saying right or wrong just curious why you do.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Rhino,
Give a sleep deprived woman a break and let me know if I am right??? Gots to get my beauty sleep.
11.gif

Rhino

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 9/7/2005 12:08:33 AM
Author: kaleigh
Rhino,
Give a sleep deprived woman a break and let me know if I am right??? Gots to get my beauty sleep.
11.gif
I can''t tell the answer publicly so quickly! You didn''t clarify for me ... was it lg1 and west or lg2 and west?
3.gif
Let me know and I"ll pm you if you''re right or not.
9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
lg1 and west for god''s sakes. Way past my bed time.
11.gif
9.gif

rainbow

Rough_Rock
Not sure if I have this correct but I think;

Facet - lg2

Orientation - east (thought west originally but then wondered if the change from lg1 to lg2 affects orientation)

P.S If by some strange chance I have it correct, don't wory about the Starbucks, we don't have them here!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Before things changed, my guess was that it was the facet between 12 and 1 o''clock and it has a west deviation. That is my final answer.
11.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 9/6/2005 11:51:38 PM

Date: 9/6/2005 7:06:33 PM
Author: Dancing Fire

Let the games begin!
36.gif

After I get ample answers to this I'll post the exact azimuth angles on this diamond for verification and confirmation.

Rhino
Why do you think this DF? I'm not saying right or wrong just curious why you do.
Jon
i don't know
33.gif
but, it seems like if all teh other hot spots are the same size then you have two that are much bigger spots,usually there is one heart that is smaller in size. don't know diddly.
33.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results