shape
carat
color
clarity

New Setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Norman121

Rough_Rock
Hey guys....

My fiance recently bought me an engagement ring! (YAY!) and I love it. It''s nothing major... (both of us are poor college students). It''s .55 carats and is set with six prongs in white gold.

We were hoping that when we finally got around to the wedding we would have a little more money to upgrade the ring and have the stone re-set into one of those engagement ring/wedding ring sets. Right now we are looking at channel set bands. Not sure yet of what total weight we like.

I have two questions

1. I have very small hands (size 4). Which is why we decided to go with a smaller stone. First, do you think these bands will be too big for my hand? Second, do you think the band will overwhelm the stone that will be re-set? Its so hard to tell just shopping around in stores.

2. If we do get it re-set how can I be sure that my stone will actually BE my stone. I"ve heard some horror stories and I''m afraid that my stone will be switched on me! If its any help, I have a GIA certificate floating around here somewhere.....

Let me know! Thanks!
Melinda

fortheloveofdiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Congratulations on your engagement.

Settings a purely a personal preference. Some people prefer ornate settings and others simple. I would say that you need to try on as many settings as you can before you make your decision. Only you can decide what looks good or bad on your hand.

As for resetting your stone and making sure it is your stone that was remounted, find a trusted jeweler. If you have a certificate that goes with the stone, show it to your jeweler and have him or her show you where the inclusions are before you leave it with him or her. After you pick up the stone that has been re-set, have him or her show you the inclusions once again. The inclusions on the diamond are identifying markers, which is why I think they are SO. Not everyone out there is a crook. You have got to trust someone at some point or you will drive yourself crazy. A jeweler that will take the time to show you how your inclusions are plotted under the microscope can be trusted. Good Luck!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results