shape
carat
color
clarity

New england appraiser with a Brilliancescope??

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ludik

Rough_Rock
Hi im about to purchase a stone. Id like to know if there are any appraisers in MA.. Boston.. or in New England that have a brilliance scope?

I remember seeing a womens post on pricescope a while back and I thought I it was listed in her signature..

Any help would be appreciated

Iceman

Brilliant_Rock
Ask for a fair market value. That will tell you what its really worth. If you had to sell the diamond tomorrow kind of worth.

The Iceman

UnionDiamond

Rough_Rock
Could it be New England Gem Lab? Cindy or Lana. Their telephone number is 860-643-4545. You may want to give them a call.

UnionDiamond

Rough_Rock
There is some new contact information for New England Gem Lab. Here it is;

Cynthia L. Konney
Graduate Gemologist, GIA
Registered Jeweler, Certified Gemologist Appraiser, AGS
New England Gemological Laboratory and Appraisal Services, LLC
PO Box 4015
24 Lyme Street
Old Lyme, Connecticut 06371
860-434-8885
www.negemlab.com

Hope it helps.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
If I'm not mistaken, the only independent appraiser in North America with a BrillianceScope is Bill Lieberum (RockDoc), who is presently taking a medical leave of absence.

The reason for this is probably because the company which markets the BrillianceScope charges a minimum monthly "per carat" surcharge over and above the cost of the machine which makes it non-cost effective for most appraisers, unless they were to charge a hefty surcharge for the BrillianceScope report. In reviewing the report put out by the machine, I came to the conclusion that its results don't really merit the surcharge which an appraiser would have to charge in order to use the machine. A diamond vendor can absorb this surcharge fairly easily, while an appraiser is unable to do so because of the lower dollar figure involved in an appraisal fee versus a diamond sale.

From what the company told me, Bill purchased his Brilliancescope before they required the minimum monthly per carat surcharge, and was "grandfathered" in.

I've talked with the company in the past about acquiring a machine, trying to explain to them the benefits of having independent appraisers available to the consumer for confirmation and double-checking. They didn't go for it. I'll give it another shot, as I'd love to have the machine.

In the meantime I've ordered an OGI Novascope with "Firetrace" technology, which has software which measures brilliance (white light return), dispersion (colored light return), and contrast scintillation. I'll be curious as to how the results stack up to Gemex's BrillianceScope.

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
--------------
Ask for a fair market value. That will tell you what its really worth. If you had to sell the diamond tomorrow kind of worth.
--------------

Iceman, what you''re referring to here is a fair market "liquidation" (sell the diamond tomorrow) value. How would the diamonds you sell fare against this sub-wholesale evaluation?

Do you really feel this is the correct market level evaluation to give a consumer an idea if he paid a fair price for his diamond?

ludik

Rough_Rock
well to be honest Im not really interested in value at all..

What Im really interested in is some sort of evaluation of how it performs with light
34.gif

Also since its a G color stone, I want to know if it lives up to its GIA cert.. considering some people have been a little suspicious of their Gs

Anyway, I will be receiving the diamond (most likely) tomorrow from DCD..
I had emailed M.H about getting an appraisel but I havnt gotten a response back.. I will try again.. its a relatively small diamond anyway

Thanks for the responses
28.gif

that www.negemlab.com site is down bideaway

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hi,
I have hired a new webmaster and the site should be up today. We will have some fine tuning, but it will be there. We have moved the office to a wonderful location in historic Old Lyme. Come visit!
Cindy

p.s. I don''t have a brilliance scope, Richard explained why very well...

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Iceman,

Fair Market Value is a rather specific legal term that does not normally mean what you could get for your diamond if you sold it tomorrow.The definition varies somewhat depending on the jurisdiction but in most cases appraisers will use the IRS definition which is:

“ Fair market value is the price at which property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither having to buy or sell, and both having reasonable knowledge of all the relevant facts.”

There is a whole list of laws and court decisions aobut how to interpret this definition and the various subtlties surrounding it but they usually boil down the price you should expect to PAY for the subjectproperty or one comparable to it, not the amount you should expect to realize if you sold it (unless you’re a dealer working in the customary marketplace for property of this nature).

If you want Fair Market Value, it's important to know the definition being used and the situation where it will apply. This can make a substantial difference in the value conclusions.

Neil Beaty, GG ISA
Independent Appraisals in Denver

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results