shape
carat
color
clarity

New E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jayselle

Rough_Rock
I just gave my new fiance a princess cut solitare engangement ring. I am a little nervous after reading this board it may not be worth what I paid. It really is a beautiful ring with lots of sparkle. However, I just noticed a visible black dot(carbon) inclusion from the side. It stands out with a loupe, but you can see it with your naked eye if you know where to look, so that has me bothered as well. Here are the stats:

EGL-USA Certificate 76007512D
Weight 1.02 ct.
Shape PRINCESS
Color F
Clarity VS2
Measurements 5.56 x 5.39 x 4.11 mm
Depth 76.3
Table 80.0
Crown 8.0
Pavilion 63.1
Girdle MEDIUM TO VERY THICK POLISHED
Polish VERY GOOD
Symmetry GOOD TO VERY GOOD
Fluorescence FAINT
Culet NONE

$4580 with 14k white gold setting.

Should I have this independently appraised and try to renegotiate or get another stone from the dealer. I really hate to do this since she loves the ring, but at the same time I am worried its a poor cut and that inclusion is driving me crazy. Thanks!

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
I'm sure, after listening to why you have these concerns, she will be all for getting the diamond checked out and if it's not up to par, If I were her, I would have no problems in giving that diamond up and waiting for one that has better quality...hmmmmm, long sentence. Anyway, she will be the one wearing this ring...so, tell her your concerns and go from there!

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
It's a tough call... have you spoken w her about it at all? If she doesn't want to exchange it under any circumstances than your best bet is to drop it, esp since you said it's beautiful & sparkly.

However, if she's amenable, you could certainly have it appraised (EGL USA is pretty well-respected tho). I am kind of surprised there's a visible black inclusion in this VS2 but, as you know, clarity's graded from the top, not the side.

As far as pricing comparison goes, THIS GIA stone is comparable in that it is a F VS2 1.02ct. You'll notice that it faces up bigger because it's not as deep. It's listed at $4222 so what you paid is in the general area & seems fair.

If you do decide to look for another stone, you should try to look for stones:
w a crown height around (preferably over) 10.
Depth/Table should ideally be under 75 (table ideally smaller than depth).
Stay away from v thin girdles.

Best of luck to you
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results