shape
carat
color
clarity

New and Question about Emerald Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Hi everyone!

I''m new to this bord, but I''ve read from time to time. I am in the midst of getting a new bridal ring for my 10-year anniversary. I went down to the LAJD today and found/bought the perfect setting for a great deal! I wanted to hold off on the stone until I gathered more information as I know this is where the real "investment" begins.

As I was searching for styles, I began pricing loose stones for my ring from the vendors. All the stones were either GIA or EGL certified and I was asking for the specific specs:

Emerald cut
Approximately 1.0+ carats
Color: E or F
Clarity: VVS1 - VS1

I was getting quotes anywhere from $5200 up to $5800 (I even got a quote from a "wholeseller" in Beverly Hills for $6700, but that seemed extreme in comparison!).

What else do I need to know about the Emerald cut to make sure the cert specs are to the best value for my money?

Also (this will be a dumb question for sure!!), if the diamond is certified, what is the best way to obtain an appraisal in the LAJD? Will the vendor allow me to take the gem somewhere before I decide if I want it? OR can I go by what is on the certificate and know that it will be worth it''s value because of it? These latter questions are of great concern...

Thanks in advance!!

Asschman

Rough_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 3:12:57 AM
Author:AChiOAlumna
Hi everyone!

I''m new to this bord, but I''ve read from time to time. I am in the midst of getting a new bridal ring for my 10-year anniversary. I went down to the LAJD today and found/bought the perfect setting for a great deal! I wanted to hold off on the stone until I gathered more information as I know this is where the real ''investment'' begins.

As I was searching for styles, I began pricing loose stones for my ring from the vendors. All the stones were either GIA or EGL certified and I was asking for the specific specs:

Emerald cut
Approximately 1.0+ carats
Color: E or F
Clarity: VVS1 - VS1

I was getting quotes anywhere from $5200 up to $5800 (I even got a quote from a ''wholeseller'' in Beverly Hills for $6700, but that seemed extreme in comparison!).

What else do I need to know about the Emerald cut to make sure the cert specs are to the best value for my money?

Also (this will be a dumb question for sure!!), if the diamond is certified, what is the best way to obtain an appraisal in the LAJD? Will the vendor allow me to take the gem somewhere before I decide if I want it? OR can I go by what is on the certificate and know that it will be worth it''s value because of it? These latter questions are of great concern...

Thanks in advance!!
Glad you found this place before taking the plunge on a new stone. There are several discussions on Emerald Cuts (EC) in the Pscope archive, which can greatly aid your search. I would search for Kevinraja''s posts, and I know there are several others who recently purchased ECs but their names escape me. As I understand it, ECs can be tricky to measure just by specs--they need to be seen.

I think it is fair to say that GIA certs are more reliable than EGL, which have been known to be sometimes off in terms of color grade or clarity.

As for the prices quoted to you, try checking out the search engine on the main page to see what similar stones are being offered for by other vendors.

Good luck

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 8:44
6.gif
4 AM
Author: Asschman
Date: 3/11/2005 3:12:57 AM

Glad you found this place before taking the plunge on a new stone. There are several discussions on Emerald Cuts (EC) in the Pscope archive, which can greatly aid your search. I would search for Kevinraja''s posts, and I know there are several others who recently purchased ECs but their names escape me. As I understand it, ECs can be tricky to measure just by specs--they need to be seen.

I think it is fair to say that GIA certs are more reliable than EGL, which have been known to be sometimes off in terms of color grade or clarity.

As for the prices quoted to you, try checking out the search engine on the main page to see what similar stones are being offered for by other vendors.

Good luck

Asschman....

Thanks for that advice! I was online last night doing exactly what you suggested..however, instead of feeling like I knew what I was doing, I began to feel more overwhelmed?! What''s that they say that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing?! LOL

Anyway, I''m also trying to figure out the process about getting an appraisal at LAJD. Do I decide on the stone, not pay for it before getting the appraisal? Will vendors allow me to take their merchandise to do this? Or do they want a deposit? How does this procedure work? The reason I''m pushing for LADJ versus online is that I want to compare diamonds side-by-side...

Thanks in advance again!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
EGL USA grades are very close to GIA in the 17 stone survey you can find on the lower left of the home page.

And the stones with EGL USA certs are cheaper.
I personally avoid EGL from other countries.

You can check out the fancy shape pages at www.ideal-scope.com

AChiOAlumna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/11/2005 5:47:32 PM
Author: Garry H (Cut Nut)
EGL USA grades are very close to GIA in the 17 stone survey you can find on the lower left of the home page.

And the stones with EGL USA certs are cheaper.

I personally avoid EGL from other countries.

Just out of curiousity, will EGL cert papers sshow if they are from USA versus other countries?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results