shape
carat
color
clarity

needs help deciding bw/ these 2!! discount ends Sept 30 THXX

mooandwoo

Rough_Rock
hello prosumers,
I am picking out my own engagement ring for my fiancé to purchase. I am struggling to decide between the 2 below. If anyone can offer his or her opinion to help out, I would be forever grateful. Thanks ahead for offering your help to someone new to diamond purchasing.

1. Brian Gavin blue J 1.665 VS2 - after couple code (ends Sept 30) $11,188

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamonds/diamond-details/1.665-j-vs2-round-diamond-ags-bl-104074030041

Measurements: 7.56 x 7.59 x 4.70
AGS Lab Cut Grade: Ideal
Light Performance: Ideal
Polish: Ideal
Symmetry: Ideal
Table %: 56.1
Depth %: 61.9
Crown %: 15.1
Crown Angle: 34.5
Star %: 54.0
Pav Angle: 40.8
Pavillion %: 43.1
Lower Girdle %: 76.0
Culet: Pointed
Fluorescence: Medium Blue
Girdle: Thin To Medium Faceted

2. James Allen - 1.65 Carat J-SI1 True Hearts
I think it looks eye clean, but not sure? $10,874

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut/1.65-carat-j-color-si1-clarity-excellent-cut-sku-330048

Certificate:GIA

Depth %:61.30

Girdle: Thin - Medium

Table %:56.00

Culet:None

Polish:Excellent

Crown ∠: 34.50

Symmetry:Excellent

Crown %:15.00

Fluorescence:Faint

Pavilion ∠:40.80

L/W/D (mm): 7.64*7.60*4.67

Pavilion %: 43.00

I wanted to buy the Brain Gavin blue until I found this James Allen one. It seems like this diamond is cut closer to ideal proportions and looks bigger even though carat weight is less. Also don't think I can benefit from the fluorescence in BG blue as I never go out in the sun so without exposure to UV light this feature won't matter. I also would like to save as much as possible although JA is only about $300 cheaper. Having said that BG blue is one grade higher in clarity. So I am really confused. PLS help!

thanks so much

mooandwoo

Rough_Rock
Re: needs help deciding bw/ these 2!! discount ends Sept 30

sorry just realize the figures on the BG webpage are different from the lab report.
here are the correct figures:

BG blue
star Length: 51% not 54
Lower Girdle Length: 78% not 76

Andelain

Ideal_Rock

I like the BGD better. The cut on that one is pretty perfect, and medium florescense will also help it face up whiter in some types of indoor lights. Pjus, you're steppinh from a SI up to VS in clarity. At that size, I'd want that.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

mooandwoo|1412055198|3759041 said:
<Snip>

I wanted to buy the Brain Gavin blue until I found this James Allen one. It seems like this diamond is cut closer to ideal proportions and looks bigger even though carat weight is less. Also don't think I can benefit from the fluorescence in BG blue as I never go out in the sun so without exposure to UV light this feature won't matter. I also would like to save as much as possible although JA is only about $300 cheaper. Having said that BG blue is one grade higher in clarity. So I am really confused. PLS help!

thanks so much

I can not comment on the individual diamonds in any meaningful manner since you have identified the vendors and I am also a vendor.

I am curious about this comment however. Why do you say that when one has an AGS report with an Ideal grade of Ideal yet you are saying the GIA report looks closer to ideal numbers?

Wink

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Take the BG.

HappyNewLife

Ideal_Rock
Premium

BGD-- the fluor can help it look whiter. You won't notice less than .1mm in size :)

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

In some cases, fluorescence positively affects diamonds making them appear whiter than their true color grade when exposed to UV elements.

UV light is typically found in sunlight, or "blacklights". What other type of lighting?

btw, I would chose the BGD one.

mooandwoo

Rough_Rock

thx wink for your comment. I actually don't know much but was guessing based on a diagram of "ideal proportions" I saw. plus the star angle and depth on the BG were wrong on its webpage... once I saw the right figures on the lab report, it makes more sense.

mooandwoo

Rough_Rock

i'm so grateful for all your replies. A online diamond expert said the BG stone has a brownish tone rather than a yellow for a J... now I am so confused. what do you all think?

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Stones can have different colour tints - brown, yellow, pink, green, blue (I think), ...

Whether you prefer one tint colour over another is entirely personal choice, as I understand it!

memogensen

Rough_Rock

I'm wondering if you can give me any more details on the BGD coupon that expires today? Thanks!

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

If the "tint" bothers you, how about going down a bit in weight and buying an "I" instead.
Remember, each color is a range, and the range gets larger as you go down the scale.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade

mooandwoo|1412098667|3759269 said:
i'm so grateful for all your replies. A online diamond expert said the BG stone has a brownish tone rather than a yellow for a J... now I am so confused. what do you all think?

Since I could not see where it said that on the certificate I would call BG and ask.

I would also call the online diamond expert and ask him how he knows. Perhaps I am missing something on the report, but I would expect to see a brown color listed n the report. Please let us know who he is and on what does he base this comment?

I also think that brownies in the I-J-K color are popular with some dealers as they do not tend to show as much as the yellows. I also think you will need to have a good return privilege no matter who you buy from. Once you see the diamond and are comfortable, then you finalize the sale, never before.

Wink

mooandwoo

Rough_Rock

I hope it's not too late. I've been working and away from the computer. the code is VIP914 "for September subscribers". I received it in an email.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results