shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED URGENT HELP

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

fish20042004

Rough_Rock
I am ready to pull the trigger on a ring but need some expert advice. My choice will be one of two rings-oval cut.

1st ring:
measurements: 9.27x6.04x3.96mm
weight 1.50
depth 65.6
table 55
girdle med to very thick
cutlet small
polish very good
symmetry good
clarity grade vs2
color d
no florescence
Its $9,000 and the gia cert has a date of 08/15/86. Is this a good deal or is this better?
measurements: 8.48x6.35x3.98mm
weight 1.50
depth 62.7
table 58
girdle med to thick
cutlet none
polish good
symmetry good
clarity grade vs2
color h
no florescence
this one is $7800
Please help!

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
Wish I could help ya, but I truly know nothing about oval cuts
sad.gif

[edited to remove initial comment - I'd misread the price difference!]

reena

Ideal_Rock
me either. have you checked the cut grading charts for ovals? that might help you pick.

fish20042004

Rough_Rock
thanks. the first is actually $9,000 and the other $7,800. Is that a big difference? I don't know about the consignment.
Thanks

fish20042004

Rough_Rock
eah, there both within the average range. That's why I'm stuck. I took the H outside and it looked good. Can you usually tell the difference anyway?

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I asked about the consignment because it's such an old cert. You can find the grading charts reena refers to at www.gemappraisers.com. Hope that helps at least a little!
2.gif

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
I can easily tell the difference between a D and an H... but not everyone is (over)sensitive to color like me! From what I understand, it can be easier to see tint in fancies than rounds. Natural lighting (but not direct sunlight) might be the best way to tell color.

reena

Ideal_Rock
well, they're going to be shaped a little differently length-to-width ratio wise. have you seen both in person? is one shape more appealing to you than the other? what about the bow-tie effect?

the top stone is going to appear larger to the eye. but, you're paying a premium for the D. might not be worth it if you're not set on that high of a color.

fish20042004

Rough_Rock
thanks. I, as a lay diamond person cannot tell the diff. I just don't want the thing yellow and have bees following my poor wife around all day.
lol.

fish20042004

Rough_Rock
why would the top one appear larger? they both look fine, I just like having the best color and a respectable clarity. Are you concernd that the GIA form is from 1986?

reena

Ideal_Rock
i think you can definitely "tell the difference" between a D and an H side by side--but the question is really what color you're comfortable with sitting on its own. i went with a G because it looks super-white to me, and i wasn't interested in paying the premium for a higher color grade stone (i preferred to go up in cut and size). others are super color-sensitive and want a D, E or F.

reena

Ideal_Rock
perhaps this is too simplistic but if you multiply the length times the width of each stone you get a rough surface area figure. do that and you'll see, the top stone will appear larger. (just because two stones are the same carat weight does NOT mean that they will have the same dimensions/look the same size to your eye.)

if you want to compare what they will look like shape-wise go to the fancy shape selector on www.gemappraisers.com and plug in the numbers. there is a visual difference between a 1.3 and 1 1.5+ length to width ratio, which is i think what you're looking at there.

i would think very carefully about purchasing a D color stone unless you've looked at a number of colors and decided that's what you have to have. you're going to pay a huge premium for that. an H is NOT going to be bumblebee yellow, or anything even close. that's a near-colorless grade.

i know you said you're about ready to buy: don't take this the wrong way but maybe you want to do a little more research about diamond buying/what you/your GF wants before making a purchase this big? just my two cents.
1.gif

reena

Ideal_Rock
you can do a search here to learn more about crown height. you'll probably need to ask the vendor for that info for your ovals. have you seen both of these stones in person?

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I vote for the H stone for two reasons. First because I think that a 1 to 1.3 ratio will look better. Second, I like a depth no greater than 64% in fancies. Both reasons of course without looking at the stones side by side. A lot of times you have to go with which stone looks better to you.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 9/7/2004 7:31:35 PM pearcrazy wrote:

Second, I like a depth no greater than 64% in fancies.

----------------

Well, the second is less deep, but the first has a thick girdles... so they ended up about as larege anyway. It woudl ahve been great to have some account of their brilliance (Ideal Scope), but otherwise, why not just chosoe between these two after all
read.gif

I don't think H would look tinted (or attract bees - which strongly fluorescent diamonds should !!!, but yours ain't that way) by itself. Side by side with the D you should pick up some subtle difference of color, at least as long as these diamonds are not set. "Subtle" is the word here - at least until you get to handle a few diamonds and get used to how faint these high color grades are
2.gif

From the info given there is no way to judge the brilliance of the two stones. Aside this (and it would be a big question IMO) you may want to look at the symmetry of the D color - the girdle thickness varies quite allot - and this may be visible in undesirable ways. there is no way to tell from here though.

The older GIA cert most likely means taugher grading - which is good.
1.gif

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here's another: 1.51cts, E-VS1, $7800 (LINK).

And THIS G-VS2 should be larger than either of the two you describe and seems to have a seriously nice cut. One rarely sees "very good" symmetry on a fancy cut with nice proportions like this one. It's not enough to predict a brilliant stoen, but such a note on by GIA does rise expectations for a spectacular stone for all I know.

These two may be listed by more than one seller, so the story is all about the diamonds themselves. You should be able to get more choice if the two stones you happened to be offered did not prove spectacular already.

Just my 0.2, of course.
nono.gif

fish20042004

Rough_Rock
thanks for the insight. I would say that I saw both stones and both looked sparkly and nice. The h stone is with the 2 sides baguettes at about .30 total.
I also have a 1.52
h,vs1 54.9depth, 55table,good,good,none flores, measurewments 9.31x6.69x3.67 for about $7500.
Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results