shape
carat
color
clarity

Need to Decide Between 2 By Tomorrow? Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nycneedshelp

Rough_Rock
I''d appreciate any and all help. I have to pick one out in the AM and this is what I came up with.
Ring 1
Princess Cut 2.01 VS2 H
Square Modified Brilliant
6.84 '' 6.78 '' 5.04 mm
depth-74.3%
table-77%
Girdle- Extremely Thin to Thick
Culet-None
Polish - VG
Symm - G
Flor - None

With Platinum band and tapered .35ct tw baguettes = 11,500
Ring 2

Princess Cut 1.86 F VS1
Depth 75
Table 69
Culet None
Polish Good
Sym Good
Flor- None

With Platinum ring and .35 ct tw tapered baguettes = $13,000

Any and all suggestions in terms of quality, good deal or whether or not the baguettes should be bigger would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks

reena

Ideal_Rock
i'm no expert on princesses but the extremely thin girdle on the princess makes me nervous. alexah/mmm, am i right?

do you have any further info on the second stone?

nycneedshelp

Rough_Rock
I have a GIA report on the 1st.
The 2nd one said GRD-ETN-STK on the bottom. Is that what you mean? What would be the cause for concern regarding the girdle? Thanks for the input

reena

Ideal_Rock
yeah, i didn't see the girdle info or measurements for #2 is all. from what you wrote though looks like the second one has an extremely thin to slightly thick girdle--same issue. generally speaking EX thin girdles can chip, so that's the concern. i don't know specifically with respect to princesses, though. someone else will chime in don't worry.

i am in NYC too; where are you shopping?

reena

Ideal_Rock
there are many princess experts around here so i'm sure someone will respond and help you out with those specs---however they're probably going to ask you what the crown height is. is it possible to have the dealer provide you with that information? do you have to make the decision tomorrow? have you shopped around at all?

hoorray

Ideal_Rock
I'm like Reena -- not a princess expert, but extremely thin girdles are at risk of chipping, so if you are going to consider one, make sure you know where and how much of the girdle is extremely thin, and if it can be protected by the setting. I think the second has better depth and table measurements -- the first is much more deep. Check out www.gemappraisers.com to see the various cut stats and how these fall for princess cuts.

My take is that I would go withthe 2nd between these two, but those girdles worry me, and I would actually probably keep shopping. There are LOTS of sources for great princess cuts.

maybe one of the princess experts will chime in here.

nycneedshelp

Rough_Rock
I've looked around a bit. I'm comfortable with this guy. Just trying to make as educated a decision as possible. I do have to finish the deal in the AM though. Didn't write down the measurements on the 2nd one though. Hopefully , I've provided enough info that someone can tell me what range of measurements would work.

reena

Ideal_Rock
ahhh! okay, SOS call out to the princess experts then.

not to be a pain in your a$$ but, in the event that you get negative feedback on these stones--and you might--are you sure you want to go ahead and buy tomorrow regardless? why make this big of a purchase without exhausting all of your options? you could still go through your guy, but maybe take some time to browse this board and learn about the specs for an outstanding princess cut. and then ask him to bring you some stones that meet those criteria.

i just think there's no sense paying a ton of money for a stone that may not have the right proportions, might chip or might look smaller than it should for its carat weight.
rolleyes.gif

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, neither of them sound good to me. Do a search here for my posts, Moremoremore's posts, etc., and you'll find lots of information about choosing a princess cut stone. All I can say is these stones have too thin of girdles, and the depths are too high (the second one looks better than the first, but I still don't think it's sounding too good). What are the crown heights and pavilion angles on the stones?

nycneedshelp

Rough_Rock
I would certainly consider that. There are also other stones available. These 2 just happened to seem like an overall good mix of what I was looking for, but if someone makes a point that something should be changed, then I will consider somethin else he has. Thanks for your concern. I appreciate it.

reena

Ideal_Rock
appl.gif
good boy! let the people here help you and you will end up with a fabulous stone that will knock your GF out!

(in a good way)

if i were you i would start by taking lop's suggestion and checking out the cut grading charts of princesses at gemappraisers.com.

Todd07

Shiny_Rock
Since it's a private dealer, have a clear understanding of the return policy and spend the $ to get an independent appraisal

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results