shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Some Help with Determining the Quality of a Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

troystar

Rough_Rock
Could Someone help me out...I am looking at purchasing the following diamond. Just wondering if someone could give me some advice if it is of good Quality.

Cut: Ideal
Carat: 0.81
Clarity: VVS1
Color: G
Polish: Ex
Symmetry: Ex
Depth: 60.6%
Table: 56%
Crown Angle: 34.5
Pavillion Angle: 41.1
Price: $4,368

I plugged in the spec''s to get a HCA rating and it came out to 2.4. Is this too high? I know that it says that below 2 is excellant.

Any help that could be provided would be great.

Thanks,

icekid

Ideal_Rock
you could certainly do worse, but a pavilion angle less than 41 would be preferable. Any reason that you''re at VVS1 for clarity?

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
I''ll second the advice you have already been given: try and look for pavilion angles lower than 41''. I would also have a look at bigger, lower clarity stones, such as VS2s and SI1s, unless, of course, clarity has a symbolic importance to you.
1.gif

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 8/30/2005 1:31:59 PM
Author:troystar
Could Someone help me out...I am looking at purchasing the following diamond. Just wondering if someone could give me some advice if it is of good Quality.

I plugged in the spec''s to get a HCA rating and it came out to 2.4. Is this too high? I know that it says that below 2 is excellant.

Thanks,
the HCA will kill a stone with 41'' and over. now try one with the same crown angle of 34.5 + 40.8 pavil.
2.gif

troystar

Rough_Rock
So does the 0.3 degrees of angle on the pavillion really matter that much? Changing the pavillion angle to 40.8 brought the HCA from a 2.4 to a 1.1.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/30/2005 1:31:59 PM
Author:troystar

Thanks,
If this were melee I''d say it''s not be a concern, but at .81ct size the advice you''ve received to exercise caution is wise. Check the overall PA variance. The 41.1 is an average of 8 measurements. See how far above 41.1 it ranges at the maximum. Also, Sarin/Ogi measurements can be slightly off - so that 41.1 is potentially a bit more safe or a bit more worrisome (if off).

Yes there is a difference between 40.8 and 41.1 but as you can see there are variables involved here. In all borderline situations like this one it''s smart to have trusted eyes look at the diamond. Yours are most important of course.
1.gif
A seasoned vendor and/or appraiser can help you too. VVS is a very high clarity - make sure the diamond has a worthy cut as well.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the mm dimensions for the diamond?
Diamcalc isn''t liking those numbers.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results