shape
carat
color
clarity

Need some help.

Medical

Rough_Rock
So, I'm currently looking into buying the setting for an ering for my girlfriend of the last 5 years. We've discussed the subject a lot lot lot and the time is now near :shhh: .

We've browsed a few stores and websites to get an idea of her taste, and she really lit up for this particular setting:

http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/scott-kay-settings/ring/item8_10892/

My question is: do you think it's a good deal? It wasn't on sale when she first saw it, and now that it is I may pull the trigger on it tonight- but I discovered this site which is awesome. If I do get it, I'll then be in the market for a nice center stone over the next few months (gonna continue to save another 3kish to get the centerstone), which I'll probably be back to get tips on. Please help! I just want to make it special for her..

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medical|1413747190|3769460 said:
So, I'm currently looking into buying the setting for an ering for my girlfriend of the last 5 years. We've discussed the subject a lot lot lot and the time is now near :shhh: .

We've browsed a few stores and websites to get an idea of her taste, and she really lit up for this particular setting:

http://design.jared-diamonds.com/engagement-rings/scott-kay-settings/ring/item8_10892/

My question is: do you think it's a good deal? It wasn't on sale when she first saw it, and now that it is I may pull the trigger on it tonight- but I discovered this site which is awesome. If I do get it, I'll then be in the market for a nice center stone over the next few months (gonna continue to save another 3kish to get the centerstone), which I'll probably be back to get tips on. Please help! I just want to make it special for her..

Hi :wavey:
I looked up that setting, and Jared has the least expensive price by far... most of the other places were $2100-2700 for the same setting. Is it on clearance? Does it have a manufacuturer warranty with Scott Kay? Can it be exchanged or returned if needed? I would typically tell people to avoid Jared and other "mall" type jewelers, but I haven't really heard any complaints in quality in regards to Scott Kay, so...

If you know she loved that particular setting, then I'd say to go with it, because you'd be hard-pressed to find a similar one in that price range. What size range (not carat weight, but in mm) will this setting accommodate? I would NOT buy the diamond from Jared, nor would I let them set it. You can find better quality stones elsewhere. :))

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, what shape does she like? Round or princess?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Okay, they are selling out their supply of that setting, obviously. It may have a standard 1 ct head judging from the range they say will fit, and if so, you are going to need to get as close to 1 ct as possible for the ring to look right. I think you will be looking at more than $3k for a center stone of around .90 cts, though.

I'd call Jared and be certain if you can order the ring with a specific size head (such as for .75 or 1.0 or 1.25 cts) or whether it is just a 1 ct head where you can go slightly smaller or larger with the stone (which means to me that .90-1.1 is going to look best in the setting).

This is why you always should buy the diamond first. Because if you find diamond you like that doesn't really fit the setting, you can always choose a different setting. Don't buy the setting without more information.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1413751272|3769493 said:
Okay, they are selling out their supply of that setting, obviously. It may have a standard 1 ct head judging from the range they say will fit, and if so, you are going to need to get as close to 1 ct as possible for the ring to look right. I think you will be looking at more than $3k for a center stone of around .90 cts, though.

I'd call Jared and be certain if you can order the ring with a specific size head (such as for .75 or 1.0 or 1.25 cts) or whether it is just a 1 ct head where you can go slightly smaller or larger with the stone (which means to me that .90-1.1 is going to look best in the setting).

This is why you always should buy the diamond first. Because if you find diamond you like that doesn't really fit the setting, you can always choose a different setting. Don't buy the setting without more information.

This is what I was afraid of... ::)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Me, too, because they just may stock that standard size and try to put a wide range of diamonds in them, whereas if you go through a jeweler and have them order from Scott Kay for your size stone, they should have a different head for a .75 and a 1.25, let's hope! At least that is true of most designer settings. But I think chains like Jared probably order a certain amount of settings to keep in stock so they just set the stones themselves rather than sending to SK.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1413756724|3769538 said:
Me, too, because they just may stock that standard size and try to put a wide range of diamonds in them, whereas if you go through a jeweler and have them order from Scott Kay for your size stone, they should have a different head for a .75 and a 1.25, let's hope! At least that is true of most designer settings. But I think chains like Jared probably order a certain amount of settings to keep in stock so they just set the stones themselves rather than sending to SK.

Exactly... so maybe they can find a stone and have someone much more reputable set it correctly. :dance:

Medical

Rough_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1413756724|3769538 said:
Wow! Thank you both for the huge amount of information- I appreciate it a ton! Never ever in a million years would have thought about this on my own!

I'll try to answer all the questions in this post:

She prefers a princess type stone. I was thinking of going with .75-.8 cts, but since when I propose is flexible I have time to save up for more than that I suppose.. She has said she is a little nervous if the diamond is too big. She definitely said anything over a carat is too big, and a carat is borderline (that being said she's a very practical, hard working girl and she deserves something nice that she can be proud of). She works in finance in a pretty dangerous big city and I want to make sure it's not something that would get her mugged, though. :shifty:

I contacted Jared and they said they can put in a request to custom order it with a specific size head from SK, but it may change the price and they can't guarantee that they could get it, so it looks like if I want the sale price I have to work with what they offer. If I were to set it with a .85-.9 ct princess, do you think it would look good, or is it really made to house a 1ct with little room for deviation? I will definitely get it set somewhere more reputable, haha. I appreciate all these tips!! You all are the best.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
what does she like about it, exactly?

My concern is the head size as well. I mean, this picture shows a round, will it be made for a round? If so, it wont fit a princess of the same size, let alone a smaller one.

What does she like about it, exactly? Ive seen similar, though less ornate, settings on other websites. they would allow you to get a nice stone from the same vendor as the setting. It would mean the head would fit, and you wouldnt have to worry about insuring the stone while you have someone set it in your setting.

Just a few examples i can remember of the top of my head
(doesnt have to be rose gold)
http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-rose-gold-princess-shape-trio-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49355

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/princess-dinah-3-stone-petite-18k-white-gold-5691w18#more

Medical

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your help, Niel!

She likes a few things I've picked up on: ornate, side facing patterns and diamonds. She doesn't like swirls, but more angles. Overall, she likes the stone to be low lying, not sticking up too far off the setting, or if it does stick up, to have the rest of the setting also up with side stones so it kind of all still looks like a circle. Here are some examples of ones she really liked:

http://www.zales.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12111044&locale=en_US (which was before I knew anything about this whole buying process- will not buy from Zales haha, lots of reading over the past month and lurking the forum the past week has taught me a lot!)

http://www.zales.com/vera-wang-love-collection-princess-cut-diamond-vintage-style-engagement-ring-14k-white-gold/product.jsp?productId=24017996&ab=MM%3ACollections%3AVera+Wang+LOVE

http://www.kay.com/en/kaystore/engagement---wedding/diamond-engagement-ring-1-1-3-ct-tw-round-cut-14k-white-gold/100006/100006.100007.100010

So I think she has a pretty specific style. She said she wants there to be "more to the ring than you would see at first glance." Does that help? Thanks again for all of your and everyone else's help!!

Medical

Rough_Rock
Niel|1413761594|3769560 said:

My concern is the head size as well. I mean, this picture shows a round, will it be made for a round? If so, it wont fit a princess of the same size, let alone a smaller one.

What does she like about it, exactly? Ive seen similar, though less ornate, settings on other websites. they would allow you to get a nice stone from the same vendor as the setting. It would mean the head would fit, and you wouldnt have to worry about insuring the stone while you have someone set it in your setting.

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/14k-rose-gold-princess-shape-trio-diamond-engagement-ring-item-49355

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/engagement-rings/three-stone/princess-dinah-3-stone-petite-18k-white-gold-5691w18#more
The two you sent look great from the top, very her. I think she's very into having a side design, though, perhaps with diamonds on it. Thanks again!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medical|1413762742|3769564 said:
Niel|1413761594|3769560 said:

The two you sent look great from the top, very her. I think she's very into having a side design, though, perhaps with diamonds on it. Thanks again!!

Ah ok. Sometimes those can damage wedding rings if you wear them together. Just something to consider. Plus the fact if you do wear a ring with it, then you wont see most of the side view.

I dont wanna sound like im trying to talk you out of it, just it may be something to consider; where you want to put your budget.

Its a lovely setting and if somehow you can get a stone to fit, that would be best. Hopefully that works. If it doesnt, then just consider the options, a stone that doesnt look good in your setting, if it fits at all, or a setting without side diamonds.

Medical

Rough_Rock
These are all good points. I talked to her about the side facing stones, and she's willing to nix them, so I guess I'm back to square one haha. Do you recommend going stone first from this point?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Medical|1413764821|3769577 said:
These are all good points. I talked to her about the side facing stones, and she's willing to nix them, so I guess I'm back to square one haha. Do you recommend going stone first from this point?

I would recommend try and find a place that has both a setting you like AND a good selection of stones. If youre unable to do that, then yes find the stone first, then the setting.

Dont be down, youre not at square one. You know she wants a princess three stone with pave in the shank, your job is half over!

are you prepared to shop now? Or were you saying you needed to save up before purchasing the stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results