shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Some Help Picking a Cushion

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Hey guys,

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a stone and I figured it was time to reach out to the experts for some advice and moral support. I've been working with the "usual suspects" to source my stone. I plan to set one of these in a platinum double halo with pave diamonds. My girlfriend's finger is a size 5 and I think my biggest concern is making sure that the stone is big enough. I've been trying to find a stone with decent spread but there aren't a ton of options in the 1.5 - 1.9 range. She's dead set on a cushion, but I don't think she realizes that a 1.5 ct cushion looks like a 1 ct round brilliant face up. Obviously a double halo will help compensate for this, but I want to make sure that she's not disappointed with what I choose. I'd ask her opinion, but I'm extremely old school when it comes to these types of things and I want her to be surprised. My total budget is around $15K for the stone and setting, but I'd probably be willing to go up a bit more if it meant a better stone.

I have some solid stones to choose from, but I'm also wondering if its worthwhile to wait until after to holidays to make a purchase. I'm worried that since this is such a popular time to buy a diamond that inventory might be depleted.

I'd appreciate any help you could through my way.
Thanks!

#1 - Vintage Cushion - puts me around $500 over budget
1.47 ct, F, VS1
6.52 x 6.33 x 4.39
Depth: 69.3%
Ratio: 1.03

#2 - "X" Cut Cushion Brilliant - puts me right on budget
1.50 ct, F, VS2
6.56 x 6.36 x 4.41
Depth: 69.4%
Ratio: 1.02

#3 - Vintage Cushion - puts me around $1,500 under budget
1.55 ct, F, SI1
6.88 x 6.52 x 4.52
Depth: 69.3%
Ratio: 1.05

1.47 image.jpg

1.5.jpg

1.55 image.jpg

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which vendors are helping you source stones?

The third looks like it has an eye visxible inclusion under the lower right pavilion main, around 4 o'clock. That would eliminate it for me.

Do you want modern or chunky?

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Of those 3, I would go with the last one since it measures just a bit bigger than the others and keeps you under budget. Just confirm that it's eye-clean (the photo is so huge, I'm guessing the little inclusion that Dreamer is seeing is not as noticeable from 6-12"). I also like the facet pattern better, but I've become a fan of the older cuts so the second stone doesn't appeal to me as much--however, it really doesn't matter what I like, so long as your future wife likes it. :cheeky:

Edited to add: I don't think waiting until after Christmas will affect supply. It's only 3 days away at this point, and I don't think it has much affect on supply anyway.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Inclusions don't hide very well under the big mirror like pavilion mains in cushions. OP you need to ask the vendor about eye cleanliness and more importantly, decide how eye clean a stone needs to be for you and your gf.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1324491136|3086180 said:

The third looks like it has an eye visxible inclusion under the lower right pavilion main, around 4 o'clock. That would eliminate it for me.

Yup, good eyes ;-)
Its got a decent size cloud right in that spot, supposedly "eye clean". There's also a feather on the right edge around 3:00. I can spot these imperfections pretty easily in photos but I'm not sure how noticeable it would be in real life. All things considered the stone is priced $1,500 less than everything else I'm looking at, and its bigger.

Modern or chunky isn't a huge thing for me since I'm sure my girlfriend is clueless about the difference. As long as the stone has great optics and doesn't look like "crushed ice" then I'm open to consider it.

I've been working mostly with Mark at ERD and Perry from LM. I've reached out to several others, but M & P have been giving me the best feedback. Both have been absolutely fantastic so far.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Clarity is up to you.

Who do you want a setting from ? LM wil lgiev a deal on settings sometimes when stone is from him.

ERD make really nice settings too, just different method and look.

Modern vs. Chunky. The optics are totally different. Chunky is more subdued looking in many lights, less bright and bold overall, but very eye catching with chunky flash. Modern will have more pinfire and faster scintillation, more like a princess cut r perhaps a modern RB. The style of setting you want could come into play because I think vintage styles look better with vintage type diamonds.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GETanEDGE|1324492023|3086191 said:
Dreamer_D|1324491136|3086180 said:

Yup, good eyes ;-)
Its got a decent size cloud right in that spot, supposedly "eye clean". There's also a feather on the right edge around 3:00. I can spot these imperfections pretty easily in photos but I'm not sure how noticeable it would be in real life. All things considered the stone is priced $1,500 less than everything else I'm looking at, and its bigger.

Modern or chunky isn't a huge thing for me since I'm sure my girlfriend is clueless about the difference. As long as the stone has great optics and doesn't look like "crushed ice" then I'm open to consider it.

I've been working mostly with Mark at ERD and Perry from LM. I've reached out to several others, but M & P have been giving me the best feedback. Both have been absolutely fantastic so far.

Crushed ice can be lovely, just sayin' ;)) like looking into an endless bucket of glitter. Very different from what I call "mush" - dull, sludgy areas that don't do anything at all. Problem is people on here have different definitions of the term "crushed ice" and so when you hear "crushed ice is bad" the person doing the talking might have a very different definition than someone else, so you can't just take away "crushed ice is bad"! It's really up to what you like to see - lots of smaller facets that twinkle and glitter or bigger, chunkier facets...

Anyway. I don't like the first one - it's not pudgy/pillowy enough in outline for me, but that's obviously totally personal preference. Ditto Dreamer re. style of stone and setting.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Dreamer_D|1324493088|3086200 said:
Clarity is up to you.

Who do you want a setting from ? LM wil lgiev a deal on settings sometimes when stone is from him.

ERD make really nice settings too, just different method and look.

Modern vs. Chunky. The optics are totally different. Chunky is more subdued looking in many lights, less bright and bold overall, but very eye catching with chunky flash. Modern will have more pinfire and faster scintillation, more like a princess cut r perhaps a modern RB. The style of setting you want could come into play because I think vintage styles look better with vintage type diamonds.

I'm 99% sure I'll be going with one of Mark's double halo settings. I got a quote from Leon and even if I went with the cheaper diamond his custom setting blows my budget clear out of the water. I'm very impressed with Mark's work though, and I think his style is more of what I'm looking for anyways. He recommended the "x" cut for me since it maintains a lot of brilliance and fire and is usually cheaper than antiques. I'm not sure if I'm absolutely in love with any of these diamonds yet and I'm trying to slow down and keep myself from making a decision on impulse. There doesn't seem to be a ton of options within my price point and preferences.

Here's a video of the "X" cut 1.5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywJOIXxnlB0

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Question - has your intended indicated a preference for a double halo ring? I ask because that'll be a very big, blingy ring, and her fingers are pretty small - I'm thinking it's a very bold style that may not be the best thing to Totally Surprise her with unless you're sure of her style and preferences, or she's hinted to you that that's what she'd like.

ETA: I really like the faceting of that "X" cushion in that video.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
Yssie|1324495814|3086239 said:
Question - has your intended indicated a preference for a double halo ring? I ask because that'll be a very big, blingy ring, and her fingers are pretty small - I'm thinking it's a very bold style that may not be the best thing to Totally Surprise her with unless you're sure of her style and preferences, or she's hinted to you that that's what she'd like.

Yes my GF knows EXACTLY what she wants and she doesn't hesitate to give me un-subtle reminders all the time :knockout: . "Bold" might be a good way to describe her as a matter of fact! So even though I'm going through this process on my own, I'm pretty confident in what she wants. I just need to pick out a quality diamond that'll give her the bling she's hoping for.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, Yssie just asked what I was going to ask, and I just want to say that a single diamond halo is very elegant and a double one will make a ring look more like a cocktail ring than an engagement ring. But if she is sure that is what she really wants....

Gorgeous cushion, by the way!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GETanEDGE|1324496531|3086245 said:
Yssie|1324495814|3086239 said:

Yes my GF knows EXACTLY what she wants and she doesn't hesitate to give me un-subtle reminders all the time :knockout: . "Bold" might be a good way to describe her as a matter of fact! So even though I'm going through this process on my own, I'm pretty confident in what she wants. I just need to pick out a quality diamond that'll give her the bling she's hoping for.

Haha okay! :))

Do you have a pic of the double halo style? Again, some are more modern and others more vintage-y and might lend themselves more to one style of stone than another.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
GETanEDGE|1324497911|3086268 said:
I'm leaning towards Mark's rendition of a Tiffany Soleste.
A few other PSers have gone with a similar ring and I think Mark's done a great job.

http://www.youtube.com/user/xristoserd2011?feature=mhee#p/u/7/H0pdk4JNIsQ

I love that ring a lot and I would get the 1.5 modern cushion for it from ERD. Done. Will be killer.

One reason I suggest this is because the modern cushion will blend better in the halo making for the whole thing a bolder look on the hand. Also, if you gf likes bold I think she will brefer the greater brilliance she is likely to get from the modern cut compared to an antique, which is a subtler bling.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with Dreamer. I don't think that setting is really right for an antique cushion. Go with the modern one.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also agree, I'd go with a modern cushion too.

MrsDrP

Shiny_Rock
I'm going to agree with everyone else, haha! That setting is kind of modern, so a modern cushion would look better in it.

However, I really really really love vintage cushions. So if you decide on a halo setting that isn't as modern, I'd go with the last vintage cushion :D

The first video you posted of the 1.55ct F/SI1 stone is really, really pretty! :appl:

CharmyPoo

Ideal_Rock
Out of the 3 diamonds, I like the last one best.

I know others are suggesting a modern cushion with that setting .. but I find to each their own. I have a very modern style setting with my AVC. I think it looks fine. So just get what you like.

I also think a single halo will be much more timeless and elegant .. and can go better with the antique cut stone. 1.5ct cushion + halo is plenty big :)

TheGreatTwizz

Shiny_Rock
FWIW, with diligent searching, and your budget (high teens), you should be able to get a 2+ ct cushion. Now, working with the modern versions of vintage cuts certainly adds to that cost, but if you go with a modern cushion (smaller facets) you can get 8mm+ spread.

dreamer_dachsie

Super_Ideal_Rock
TheGreatTwizz|1324572099|3086797 said:
FWIW, with diligent searching, and your budget (high teens), you should be able to get a 2+ ct cushion. Now, working with the modern versions of vintage cuts certainly adds to that cost, but if you go with a modern cushion (smaller facets) you can get 8mm+ spread.

If this is true go for it and get a larger rock. Your GF seems to have made her desires clear. I would look for as big as possible in G Si1 to stretch the budget.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
TheGreatTwizz|1324572099|3086797 said:
This is kind of what I was hoping for starting out....maybe not quite 8mm, but at least a 7mm+ spread. I'm not sure how common this "X" cut is in cushions but it still seems to be priced in-line with the antiques. It's an awesome stone, but I am worried about the size since its cut fairly deep. I may have to go back to the vendors and see what other options they can come up with. Hopefully they'll be understanding.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll add my 2cents worth.

Unless your GF really likes antique looking things go for the modern cushion. That is a really fab modern cushion too. Antique cuts are a love em or hate em type of thing.

I know you are worried that she will be dissapointed but there isn't a girl on PS who wouldn't swoon being offered that modern cushion! Its worth bearing in mind that after PS your comfort level regarding size and bling grows. Average among my f&f is around 0.75-1ct but on PS its got to be above 1.5ct. A size 5 finger is small and a 1.5ct cushion is big.

I echo the above concern that a double halo will look cocktail ring like. I've tried on the Tiffany solstice in a 1ct and I wouldn't consider it as an e-ring. Its very trendy and now, but like all high fashion things it won't look as good in 5years. There is a point where a lot of bling makes the whole thing look like costume jewelry. Go for a single halo, that would be much safer, and future-proof whilst still being very bold and stunning.

On another note I have a large carat ring with a halo thats great when I'm all dressed up, and I love it. But I have a smaller plainer solitaire that I prefer wearing everyday. The bling ring just doesn't go with everything and its not that comfortable to wear daily.

Good luck with your choice. I'm sure it'll be stunning either way :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results