shape
carat
color
clarity

need some advise on the cut for the following two 2c DVVS rings

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jin866

Rough_Rock
Hi,

I would appreciate some advice over the following two stones, especially from the cut perspective
stone1:
2.26c DVVS
table depth% 61.0%
table diameter% 59%
crown angle 34.6
pavilion depth percentage 44.3%
girdle: thin to m
culet: none
flo: mb

stone2:
2.03c DVVS
table depth% : 62.5%
table diameter%: 57%
crown angle: 35.4%
pavillion depth %: 43%
girdle: medium
culet: non
flo: none

My question is is the stone1 at least a reasonally good cut? How about stone2, is it an excellent cut? I did plug the numbers in HCA, stone1 has score of 5.7, and stone 2 has score of 2. I liked stone1, it looks sparkling to me, though I am not happy with the HCA number. I ordered the ideal-scoop, can''t wait to see the image from it.

The ring is for our 10th annurversy. We bought at a very good jewelry stone. We basically trusted the store and figured anything from there should be good. Now I am a little unsure. Anyway, like to hear everyone''s thoughts on this.

A question about cut. I think I know 60% of what idea cut is after several hours of reading but still a little confused.
I think AGS0+HCA<2 will guarentee an idea cut. What does H&A mean? How do I know if a stone from bluenile is a
H&A? If the stone has HCA<2, does it mean it is a H&A stone, does bluenile ideal cut + HCA<2 guarantee a very best cut?

Also a question about the branded cut like 8*, hearts on fire. Are those known for the general public? I never heard of them before. Do they have same kind of markup like stones from tiffany & HW? If I purchase a 8* or hof stone, will it keep its value better than other stone?

Thanks very much,
Jin

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These stones are the highest color and near-flawless internally. Is that your criteria for selection? Are you looking for a D? Or would an E or F work? Same with clarity - do you prefer very clean stones like these or just something eye clean? Is carat weight of concern? What is your budget? It seems you are quite particular about color and clarity, and you should REALLY be more concerned about cut quality. A poorly cut D will not look as good as an ideal cut of any other color!

I urge you to read some of the tutorials on Pricescope, as well as on some vendors sites (Good Old Gold comes to mind first).

lostdog

Shiny_Rock
H+A, see the Whiteflash site for a good detailed tutorial, among others. It is a "state" of achievement, but as for where "near H+A" and "true H+A" fall, it depends on the standards of the person making the claim. H+A claims by themselves are not interchangable like grading certificates from the same lab are supposed to be (this last point could be argued, too, I suppose, but let's not).

8* or HOF holding its value: It's not an investment. You won't be able to sell it for what you paid for it. It may not depreciate, but unless you are a jewelry retailer, selling to a third-party will mean a loss, and a pretty hefty one at that. If you really want to consider making an upgrade at some future point, look for retailers that have trade-up policies based on 100% of purchase price.

The general public probably doesn't know much about diamonds in general becaue it is hard to learn anything other than that there are 4 C's (and notice none of those is Cost, they've already been told to spend two months salary.)

"Are those known for the general public? I never heard of them before"

I think you answer your own question. People seeking more info on diamonds, or better diamonds, will run into 8* and HOF, so it takes some level of looking around or at least stumbling into the right shop. HOF seems to be advertising a bit more than some of the others (excepting the more chain-oriented proprietary hyper-faceted cuts (Leo, Whitestar, whatever)), so maybe HOF are gaining 'mindshare' but it's got to be small still, you would think.

Not everyone gets beyond size when it comes to appreciating diamonds. Pricescope is a true outpost of beauty, along with all the other diamond issues that get addressed. More so, it's about consumer education. Just by coming here, you are no longer an average consumer, jin.

The average diamond aware person probably has heard of the brands you mention, but what does that do for you?

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/3/2005 12:19:37 PM
Author:jin866

Also a question about the branded cut like 8*, hearts on fire. Are those known for the general public? I never heard of them before. Do they have same kind of markup like stones from tiffany & HW? If I purchase a 8* or hof stone, will it keep its value better than other stone?
Sure they carry a premium, and not small. There are dozens and dozens of diamond cut brands with new ones comming up all the time. If these particular two will endure a bit more or a bit less it is not clear to me at all. Both are H&A diamonds and now there are lots of H&A available without the branding and with allot less premium. Perhaps brands like 8* and HOF did take the lead to make H&A popular but they neither come up with the concept nor are the only capable to produce the goods.

If the extra cost for the name is worth it for you, that is another question altogether.

About those diamonds...

well, BN does not sell H&A. At most some of their stones have better proportions, but with the Sarin data on proportions (crown and pavilion height and/or angles) it is not posible to know how how "ideal" this things are. What could be missing is the symmetrycal arrangement of facets. On a larger diamond that quality does produce a different look - if better or just "different remains up to you to judge - it definitely costs something an is more difficult to achieve technically. 2 carats is rather large...

Perhaps pictures tell it better:

This one has great proportions (HCA
DI40X_GIA-13374962.jpg

This guy has it all:
DI40X_AGS-5884906.jpg

Both these diamonds were carefully aligned to the camera so that the immage shows what they look like when stared at a perfect 90 degrees angle to the table. Once the diamond move around that pattern fades, of course.

It is said that the more orderly the reflections inside a stone, the brighter it looks. At the moment, this kind of symmetry is part of the description of a "perfect cut".

Sure this is just my 0.2 worth opinion... and your diamonds
5.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results