shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Last Minute Help!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

keldie29

Rough_Rock
I''m sure you''ve heard this kind of post before, but I''m down to the wire with my engagement ring purchase and I need some help fast. I am leaving for the proposal trip a little over two weeks from today. I have narrowed my ring search down to two rings, which I am both very happy with. I am pretty confident that I can trust both dealers and both rocks are GIA certified. However, this is my first time buying a diamond and I am still a little cautious about who I really can put faith in for this kind of investment. Both dealers have pretty much told me that to get me a finished product by my deadline date, that I need to give them the go ahead and down payment by tomorrow or Saturday at the very latest.

Now, here is my question - how does the independent appraisal process work and how long does it take? Is this something that is done BEFORE I purchase the finished ring or after? If it is before, I obviously do not have enough time to fit that in before the dealer starts work on the ring. My main concern lies with the fact that the one dealer only offers a full refund return period of 5 days after I receive the ring.....and my vacation will take up three of those days. If the independent appraisal is a very quick process, I could get it done when I return and still have time to return it if the rock gets a worse than excpected grade. The rock I am interested in is a 1.2 carat, G VS1, hearts and arrows ideal round (GIA) with a very good graded symmetry and polish. I don''t have the specific table and depth measurments on me, but he is charging me around $9K for just the stone. Sound right?

Please help!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock

g-man

Rough_Rock
The verification or appraisal you can have done while you watch. It takes anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour in my experience. One option is to just get a verification - not an appraisal - in other words, they just say "yes, this stone is consistent with the certficate."

Depending upon what city you live in, my guess is you could probably call someone and get an appointment either same or next day.

Good luck!
g-man

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results