shape
carat
color
clarity

need help with antique ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jen84

Rough_Rock
Anyone out there care to offer opinions on this ring?
http://antiqueengagementrings.com/shopping/shopexd.asp?id=1947

It''s rather unusual, so I''m not sure how to compare it in terms of price and quality. I guess I''m a little worried that it''ll look too dull for it''s size.

Anyone care to offer some opinions on both the ring and the dealer? This place seems to have had good reviews, but anyone had a bad experience?

jen84

Rough_Rock
eep.. Nobody?

Is there a good way to go about appraising antique rings? Does one take it to another antique dealer or should I just have it sent to a GIA appraiser?

Tuckins1

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know all that much about antique rings, but it seems like that ring is quite expensive for what it is. I think you could find a beautiful OEC ring for a little less...

mercoledi

Ideal_Rock
It''s pretty and looks like a nice stone. The lab that graded it isn''t strict, so the color and clarity may be lower than listed. I would ask the vendor about the durability of the setting; it is very, very delicate and may be probe to bending/breaking.

I love the overall style though. You may want to poke around on other websites and look at OEC''s; they can have very different looks.

HeartingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
The ring looks lovely from what I can see.

A few things worth noting: Should you decide on this piece, be sure to take it to an appraiser who is knowledgeable about antique jewelry and antique diamonds. Do not take it to another jeweler or retailer because then you would encounter conflict of interest issues. Be sure to have them checks for cracks, breaks and signs of previous repair on the setting - all this have an impact on the overall value.

As far as value goes, it appears to be a fair price for a 1.56ct diamond. When dealing in antique jewelry, a lot of value lies in the fact that the piece is an actual antique - an intrinsic factor that is difficult to quantify.

Best of luck in your search and let us know what you decide!

jen84

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone. When I take it to an appraiser, should I GIA grade the stone as well, or just look at the value of it as an antique. I''ve heard that diamonds of the era had more color rather than bright white of now... is that really true?

Are there appraisers out there who aren''t retailers that specialize in antique/vintage jewelry?

LGK

Ideal_Rock
It says it's out of stock so I hope it's you that has it on hold!

You can compare prices on OldWorldDiamonds.com, Singlestone, Jewels by Erica Grace etc. I would suspect the color and/or clarity is lower because it's UGL certed.

You can't get it GIA certed unless you're willing to sacrifice the setting- bezel settings aren't easy to pop the stone in & out. EGL will grade set stones however. I wouldn't bother... I would go with an appraiser with experience with antique jewelry instead of bothering to get it recerted.

You can use the pricescope appraiser search tool, just ask the appraiser if they're experienced with antiques. That's what I did when I was looking for a local appraiser to check out an antique ring I got. (In fact, the appraiser herself was wearing a ring very, very similar to mine- she definitely was into antiques!)

There are a lot of lower color antique diamonds around. Originally there were higher colored ones out there- they just got recut into round brilliants frequently (antique cuts have not always been particularly prized) or they were kept in the family and never have come onto the market. Therefore we see mostly the lower colors. Personally, as an antique jewelry nut, I like that; it makes them more affordable and I find the look of an antique cut with some warmth very attractive to the eye. Not everyone's cup of tea but many people do really like that combo now. Also, while the antique cuts sell for a bit less than a comparable RB in lower colors, the higher colored ones sell for a premium compared to a RB, because of their raritiy and desirability- so if you decide to look for one, be prepared to pay a lot for it. (Also anything over 3 cts is priced identically to a RB).

Hope that helps!

Oh, and I do think it's a neat setting- I like bezels/halos on old cuts because of the typically thin girdles. I think the stone looks pretty- were you wondering if it would be "dull" because of the color? Color doesn't affect sparkle at all- if the proportions are nice it should be a fireball; the table & depth all look promising... it'd be nice to know the crown/pavillion info, but it looks to be not on the cert and anyway, old cuts can't really be judged by the numbers, they need to be looked at either in person or by a trusted evaluator. Just look for fire coming from all parts of the stone when you get it- you don't want all the fire coming from the edge, or only the center. You want the whole stone performing, and a pleasing patterning to the eye with no overly dark zones that don't appeal. (For example, a OEC I turned down once had fire only from the outer edges right near the girdle, and the center facets just sat there and did nothing- that's not good!)

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results