shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help with Antique Ring Design

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ImNoScrub

Rough_Rock
Hello;

I''ve searched high and low trying to find an engagement ring that I like, and that I know my girlfriend will like as well. I finally found the ring pictured below, and I love everything about it... except that I can''t buy it any where!!!

6166A.jpg

6166b.jpg

6166c.jpg

It''s supposedly a copy of a 1910 design done in platinum but the online store where I found the image no longer stocks this ring
8.gif
So, I''ve attempted to have several local jewelers get me estimates for making the ring, but most of them say they can''t because the design is too complicated!?!?!? So far only one shop has said they could do it to the tune of nearly $2k in platinum
6.gif

So, for one, have any of you seen a similar design anywhere that can be purchased? If not, what material should I have the ring made in: white gold or platinum?

I''m leaning towards platinum despite the price difference. I want to make sure the ring is as strong is it can be, and I actually want the ring to look old and tarnished, but not yellow
16.gif

The jeweler I stopped at today claimed that white cold was actually stronger than platinum and that those who say differently are just lieing to get more money!??!?
confused.gif
I don''t know anything about the physical properties of either metal, so I don''t know which one is stronger, but I was under the impression that platinum is stronger(?)

What are your thoughts? Gold or platinum? (Or where could I look to find a similar ring
2.gif
)

Sincerely,
Todd M. Taylor

quaeritur

Brilliant_Rock
That's gorgeous. Check out www.icestore.com, they have some nice antique settings. I remember seeing a gorgeous one in the Show Me the Ring section...here. As for the white gold/platinum, I don't know much. I have white gold myself, and have never had a problem, but my settings are less delicate/intricate than what you posted. Hope that helps!

Diamondsbybree

Brilliant_Rock
This mounting is more common than you think.
antiqueengagementrings.com had this particular ring.

ImNoScrub

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 6/30/2004 10:04:58 AM breediamonds wrote:

This mounting is more common than you think.
antiqueengagementrings.com had this particular ring.----------------

I found the ring on AntiqueEngagementRings.com... that's where the pictures are from
2.gif
However, that ring has been "out of stock" for quite some time now, and when I sent them an email regarding when or if the ring would be back in stock, I got no reply
15.gif
It also appears as though AntiqueEngagementRings.com will be closed for the bulk of July and I was hoping to have a ring by the end of this month.

Even if they did stock the ring, I'd prefer a different diamond size and quality than the one they fit with the ring. I had contacted them about a month ago regarding being able to buy just the ring w/o the diamond, and they said I could not
nono.gif

Sincerely,
Todd M. Taylor

Brian Knox

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hi,

"The jeweler I stopped at today claimed that white cold was actually stronger than platinum and that those who say differently are just lieing to get more money!??!? I don't know anything about the physical properties of either metal, so I don't know which one is stronger, but I was under the impression that platinum is stronger(?)"

Shame on that jeweler for spreading misinformation.

Platinum is softer, but does not rub off or wear down overtime and maybe more importantly does not have the notorious corrosion and alloy metal breakdown problems of 14K white gold.

That ring would be fine in white gold, maybe needing some occasional prong work after 5-15 years.

In platinum, that ring could last several lifetimes.

BTW, any jeweler that does custom design could make a 'version' of that ring.
and should be way less than $2000 in platinum.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
It's a very pretty ring... I think with an intricate design like this, platinum in easier to work with. I'd stick with platinum because I prefer the look of it. However, I think in most cases, rings made in the early 1900s were made with white gold (or even silver), so you may actually get more of an authentic antique look if you went with white gold...

Good luck!

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 6/30/2004 11:36:50 AM Robyn12 wrote:

However, I think in most cases, rings made in the early 1900s were made with white gold (or even silver), so you may actually get more of an authentic antique look if you went with white gold...

Good luck!----------------

No. White gold wasn't manufactured until after WWI, so if the original was from 1910 it would have been platinum. Could have been silver, I suppose, but hard to imagine a diamond set in silver.

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found something along the same lines at Traders of Babylon. Don't know anything about the quality of their products but they have a ton of rings on the site.

zga84.jpg

ImNoScrub

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic so far.
9.gif
I'm glad I found these forums as I really hate buying things that are expensive and I don't know what I'm buying... It's good to know there is a place to turn for advice that isn't coming from a biased local jeweler!

I personally wear no jewelry at all, but I am very picky about this ring since it's really much more than a piece of stone and metal to me
10.gif

Would any of you suggest trying to "dicker on the price" for the one quote I have gotten? The jeweler that gave me the quote of nearly $2k seems like a reputible company and even has a nice replacement warranty for the life of the ring... i.e., if it get's damaged, they'll replace it (or so they say.)

Also, if I pay to have this ring custom made for me, how can I ensure that the jeweler doesn't start selling copies of it for a fraction of what I paid, yet still be able to re-create the ring for me should I need to? Seems that most jewelers claim that after making the first one, each following ring is much less expensive because the mold is already made. Can I request to have the mold!??!?! (If there is such a thing.)

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Todd M. Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results