shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help with a diamond with EGL certificate

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Dong

Rough_Rock
Hi all, I am looking for an engagement diamond and so far I''ve found several that I like. One of them however has a EGL certificate. I read the article on pricescope regarding the comparison between EGL, AGS, and GIA. Here is what I learned.

EGL usually have softer grade on color. The one I have in mind is color D, so the same diamond would be graded E by GIS and AGS at the very worst.

EGL has the same if not stricter grading for clarity.

Some of the EGL Very Good symmetry and Very Good Polish diamond are rated Ex and Ex by GIS and AGS, whereas some (less) are rated Good and Good.

Therefore, my question is. If I take the diamond to an independent appraiser, would they tell me whether it is Ex Symmetry and Ex Polish? (In the comment section it says that the diamond is a Tolkowsky Ideal Cut with 8 hearts and 8 arrows). Also, how does the process usually work, and what are your recommendation for appraisers in NYC? What are the usual cost for a diamond around 1.5ct?

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
EGL what? what clarity? need more information.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/26/2008 11:17:32 PM
Author:Dong
Hi all, I am looking for an engagement diamond and so far I''ve found several that I like. One of them however has a EGL certificate. I read the article on pricescope regarding the comparison between EGL, AGS, and GIA. Here is what I learned.

EGL usually have softer grade on color. The one I have in mind is color D, so the same diamond would be graded E by GIS and AGS at the very worst.

EGL has the same if not stricter grading for clarity.

Some of the EGL Very Good symmetry and Very Good Polish diamond are rated Ex and Ex by GIS and AGS, whereas some (less) are rated Good and Good.

Therefore, my question is. If I take the diamond to an independent appraiser, would they tell me whether it is Ex Symmetry and Ex Polish? (In the comment section it says that the diamond is a Tolkowsky Ideal Cut with 8 hearts and 8 arrows). Also, how does the process usually work, and what are your recommendation for appraisers in NYC? What are the usual cost for a diamond around 1.5ct?
Not necessarily true. EGL USA is considered more strict than EGL Isreal, Europe etc. Colour can be off by up to two grades, and there have been stories around here that clarity can be up to two grades lower also. It''s been suggested that if a stone was going to be a killer , it''s likely that the cutter would send it to the more respected labs such as AGS where they can then demand a higher premium for that stone with a AGS cert.

That said, it doesn''t mean you can''t get a beautiful stone with an EGL (USA) cert. If you are going to consider an EGL stone, you will likely find that it''s cheaper due to the cert and I would only buy it after I had an independent appraisal to confirm the specs. There are several members here with lovely EGL certed stones, there is a thread around here on that topic I believe.

If I was to buy a stone sight unseen from an online vendor I would only purchase with an AGS cert, but I am a tad neurotic. I wouldn''t go near one if there was no return policy.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results