shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Help On Two Diamonds (w/pics)

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
Hello,

I am torn between two stones. An old European cut 1.42 J Vs2 ($7500) and a round brilliant 1.31 Vs2 ($7000).

I tried them on side by side and really cannot decide. I am leaning more toward the OEC but there is something reflecting back that is bothering me and I am not sure if it's the prongs on the faux setting or what. The round brilliant is a nice safe bet but my I feel like I might regret not going with the OEC. Also, I am not sure how they hold their value compared to round brilliants, is this something I need to conscious of? Hope the pics worked.

The more zoomed in pic shows the OEC with the part that concerns me, there are two or three things that appear that I am unsure of what they are, almost like reflections of the prongs or something but I don't know if that's what it is or if it's an issue with the cut. Any advice is appreciated!

image_2383.jpgimage_2385.jpg
image_2386.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote OEC but I see what you are talking about. Does the OEC have visible inclusions?

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
I couldn't find any which was what was so weird. I have no idea what those things are, I only louped the stone while it was in the faux setting and saw those things in different lighting as well. They are both (stones) VS2 so I didn't think they were inclusions necessarily. I'm so curious now.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wouldn't buy a diamond based on resale value but what you would love to wear.

I find that resale Value is usually higher on MRB if well cut and with the right accompanying lab report unless the OEC is of a patented design line like from GOG and his AVRs.

Is this from any particular vendor here? what are the reports? Do you have a setting in mind? Some settings lend themselves better to particular cuts.

I have both cuts, but I am more of a modern girl in most things even mountings, so its hard to say, since I don't know what you particular are like IRL or what your jewelry is like?

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
I was just curious about resale values. I don't forsee wanting to get rid of it in the near future, I would like a stone that I can give to my child one day, the original one from my (future) hubby. The OEC is from a local jeweler (Daoud's) and the RB is from JamesAllen. The RB is a J VS2 1.31 with an HCA 1.1 score. They are both GIA Cert'd but the cert on the OEC doesn't give anything more than the table and depth.

I don't wear any jewelry except for small pearl earring and some gold (costumey) pieces every now and again.

As far as the setting I am going to do one exactly like teagreens. image_2389.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
aww well that setting looks beautiful and can go either way... shoot not much help there...lol

but have you seen some video side by side comparison here although branded AVR, still gives some sore of similar effect of broader flashes OEC vs the arrows of modern cut

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eXdKWg4ZQ8

your eyes might gravitate towards one vs the other when you watch these videos long enough.

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
I looooove GOG's AVR's but unfortunately this one isnt one of theirs. I took a video of the two but I don't know how to upload it here. I really love the OEC but I'm worried about those reflections I see in the table and if they are a result in the cut being not good. I know good specs on paper can only take you so far in a decision but I don't know if those spots in the OEC will bother me.

sweetpea&babycorn

Brilliant_Rock
I'm personally a HUGE fan of OECs (I have one). I used to have a RB as an engagement ring and between the two of them, the OEC is much more unique and captivating. The hard part with OEC is to pick one that really speaks to you, as no two OECs are the same. There are lots of places to find OECs if that's what you choose to do. Are you set on the local jeweler? If not, folks here like Jewels by Grace, Love Affair Diamonds, Old World Diamonds. The real good folks can find awesome deals on eBay too.

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
I agree, that's the appeal of OEC's for me. They have so much personality, they seem to all have their own story. I was in talks with Jewels by Grace (she is incredible) but I hadn't seen any in person so I went to someone local to check them out. They saw this stone on rap.net and had it brought it for me. I bought the RB from JamesAllen so I could compare and I have 60 days to return it but I think now it won't be enough time :wall:

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
just some thoughts after reading your posts, I feel that the OEC route might be for you? They do have some fun personality. Your posts seems more excited about the OEC than an MRB...

Ashleemarie

Rough_Rock
Haha yeah I guess my fav is pretty obvious, I was just worried about those spots in the stone.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results