shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help: looking for the perfect cushion cut diamond

hooper46

Rough_Rock
Hello All,

I am just starting the search process and have only done a little homework. I am looking for a cushion cut diamond, more on the round side and I am planning a simple white gold setting. Can anyone help get me started? I am in the $15,000 range for the entire ring.

Thanks!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
What are the color preferences?
And what is your timeline. And when you say a simple setting, you mean a solitiare with no diamonds in the setting (other than the center stone), or one with diamonds in the setting (other than the center stone).

What size stone were you hoping for with that budget?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

noscrusir

Shiny_Rock
Yup, those Blue Nile signature cushions are basically rounds in cushion shape. If that's what you're looking for, go with Gypsy's pick.

hooper46

Rough_Rock
Gypsy, I was hoping you would chime in as I have read some of your posts and knowledge on other threads. My budget is between 15-20k for everything.

Not only did I ask her father but I asked her grandfather too and he immediately took me to his jeweler. I told the jeweler cushion cut and he brought us (her grandpa and I) into his office and showed two diamonds, both much bigger than what I expected. They didn't seem to pop or sparkle like the ones in the showroom yet under microscope he informed me one was near flawless. I asked about ASET image (learned on here) and he said that was only for rounds...,

I thought he would show me 20+ diamonds but just two....

Gypsy, liked the JamesAllen you originally picked for urasia, The 189551 diamond.

What to do...

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I recommended the one I did because I didn't realize A) you had an expanded budget. B) you wanted several choices.

I'll look around for some more stones for you, don't worry. 8)

ASETs are for cushions too. ;))

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

hooper46

Rough_Rock
I appreciate all the help!

Gypsy, when I was asking about symmetrical, I was referring to the length x width of the cut...I may be using the wrong terms. The one I was shown at the jeweler was much more rectangular than square, and I like the look of an equal length x width diamond.

The jeweler was going to send the diamond to be graded, it is a local shop that cuts their own diamonds and he said it was cut less than 2 weeks ago. It seems the online sellers are willing to send / show more detail, which I like.

What should I ask him for so I can post online to get your opinions?

It appears this jeweler is pretty close to her grandfather, the 1st stone he showed was 2.58 carat and again he claimed near flawless. It was my first time ever looking at a stone under a microscope. The ballpark price talk he started seems to good to be true...

Thanks.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Ask the jeweller to provide you with the GIA certificate or at least the reference number so we can find it so you can see the characteristics of the diamond for yourself. Relative terms like "near" are not helpful when buying gems yet have every influence on how the diamond is priced.

cheers--Sharon

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think either you or me noticed this. But one of the stones I recommended above. The one that was actually my favorite is one I recommended for urasia.
_23161.jpg
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189551

And here are the gemologist's comments:
The gemologists top recommendation is diamond 189551, the 1.70ct F/VS2. This diamond is their personal favorite with its overall sparkle/outline appeal and wonderful balance of brightness. This diamond also has the best fire and scintillation out of the three. It has a wonderful crown that helps to capture the light and deliver great fire. In various types of lighting there is minor light leakage but the diamond is definitely bright and lively. The VS crystal is not eye visible and the diamond has interesting activity throughout.

She wanted a rectangular stone, not a square one because that's what she preferred. So she passed on it.

So personally?

I advise you to buy this one. NOW. Why?
JA has a 60 day return policy-- no risk, no questions asked. They pay shipping both ways too.

The best way to decide if the stone is right for you AND if it is one that performs better than those are being shown in person is to see it in person and TAKE IT TO THE JEWELER WITH YOU.

That way you can compare it head to head.

And see what you think.

This stone, is a winner. I feel confident guaranteeing you will fall in love with it, especially when you compare it to the uncertified mystery stone.

And if you don't? You can send it back for a full refund.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Also. Many jewelers that sell uncertified stones claim all kinds of things about them. Especially to people who don't know better.

IF you like that stone, AFTER you compare it in person to the stone I linked to you above. THEN:
Have him put his 'guesses' at the color and clarity grades in writing with the price he is offering it to you for. "Near flawless" means VSS2 or better to me.

Have him send it to GIA. And tell him you will NOT buy a stone without a GIA lab report.

Once he has the lab report, if it matches what he had claimed, then you can buy the stone at the price, plus the 350 for the lab report.

But that's it.

Line drawn in the sand.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
hooper46|1419001105|3804173 said:
I appreciate all the help!

Gypsy, when I was asking about symmetrical, I was referring to the length x width of the cut...I may be using the wrong terms. The one I was shown at the jeweler was much more rectangular than square, and I like the look of an equal length x width diamond.

You like stones with a length to width ratio of 1.0 to 1.05.

That's what technically is considered square.

We call that the stones ratio.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Travelgal|1418968629|3804072 said:
Gypsy is obviously the diamond guru, but wondering if you might like these as well. They remind me of the diamond you liked in your post

http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/1.82-carat-g-vs2-x-factor-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-63167.html
http://www.brilliantlyengaged.com/2.00-carat-g-vs2-x-factor-cushion-cut-diamond-gid-63169.html (Might not be eye clean).

Those are great choices too. You can get one of these and take it into your local jeweler. Provided they ASET out. BE will happily provide ASETs.

Or this one: http://www.b2cjewels.com/dd-6464436-2.17-carat-Cushion-diamond-G-color-VS1-clarity.aspx

hooper46

Rough_Rock
We'll, the 189551 diamond from JA is no longer available. I will continue to look through the options available. Also, the local stone is being sent out to be graded. Not sure which institute is grading it though. I will post more when I get more info. I don't think it will have a ratio in the 1.0 to 1.05 range though. He did think it would be graded at a VVS2 or a minimum VS1.

Thanks for the help and options, keep them coming!!

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
Hooper, I think you already know this, but make sure you don't let the jeweler sell you on clarity. The stone can look great on paper (I.e. he tells you it Is a colorless D-F and vs1+ clarity stone) and then it looks like one of these stones:

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-202558
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.20-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-393982

Unlike round diamonds, you can't really buy cushions by the numbers. It can have excellent polish/symmetry but still have a lot of leakage. I think you already know this, but just want to make sure. I've also seen where other posters will bring in plot patterns to the jeweler to show the facet patterns they like and/or sample images so that the jeweler knows exactly what to look for. Sounds like you are in a position to buy from grandpas jeweler so just trying to help you get what you want without offernding anyone. I also highly recommend taking pictures and posting here of stones he recommends.

Coralfish

Shiny_Rock
Gypsy|1419040896|3804524 said:
I don't think either you or me noticed this. But one of the stones I recommended above. The one that was actually my favorite is one I recommended for urasia.
_23161.jpg
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/cushion-cut/1.70-carat-f-color-vs2-clarity-sku-189551

And here are the gemologist's comments:
The gemologists top recommendation is diamond 189551, the 1.70ct F/VS2. This diamond is their personal favorite with its overall sparkle/outline appeal and wonderful balance of brightness. This diamond also has the best fire and scintillation out of the three. It has a wonderful crown that helps to capture the light and deliver great fire. In various types of lighting there is minor light leakage but the diamond is definitely bright and lively. The VS crystal is not eye visible and the diamond has interesting activity throughout.

She wanted a rectangular stone, not a square one because that's what she preferred. So she passed on it.

So personally?

I advise you to buy this one. NOW. Why?
JA has a 60 day return policy-- no risk, no questions asked. They pay shipping both ways too.

The best way to decide if the stone is right for you AND if it is one that performs better than those are being shown in person is to see it in person and TAKE IT TO THE JEWELER WITH YOU.

That way you can compare it head to head.

And see what you think.

This stone, is a winner. I feel confident guaranteeing you will fall in love with it, especially when you compare it to the uncertified mystery stone.

And if you don't? You can send it back for a full refund.

Hi Hooper,

On my computer this JA stone is now showing as available again. It may be that someone placed it on hold and then released it.
Perhaps it's worth ordering that one in to review from JA as I believe it could be shipped within a couple of days.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is showing as available to me too! Snap it up!

I don't like the one you posted. It looks better in the video than the image, but not great. And it's definitely not square.

hooper46

Rough_Rock
I didn't notice at first but I can now see a small blemish or inclusion on the JA diamond when looking on the website, does anyone else notice this?

What type of magnification are the website images under?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
hooper46|1420046605|3810064 said:
I didn't notice at first but I can now see a small blemish or inclusion on the JA diamond when looking on the website, does anyone else notice this?

What type of magnification are the website images under?

Yes, but the gemologist said it is eyeclean.

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is 20x in the video, 40x in the photo. There is a small bar on the right of the photo where you can zoom out to 'actual' size.

hooper46

Rough_Rock
I just asked during live chat and they said they don't offer the option to view prior to purchasing. So they must have a 60 day return policy, I am chatting with them now.

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Is the GIA report for the same stone that your jeweller said was just cut? If so, then why is the reported dated May 2014?

jerichosmom

Shiny_Rock
Is the GIA report for the same stone that your jeweller said was just cut? If so, then why is the reported dated May 2014?

hooper46

Rough_Rock
The GIA report is not for the stone that was just cut, that one was much more rectangular and I didn't like it. The GIA report was for an option that he was bringing in for me.

I placed the JA one on hold for now. Here is another option from the jeweler.
image_2807.jpg
image_2808.jpgimage_2809.jpgimage_2810.jpg

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No.
EGL jewelers are being sued left and right. EGL was banned from rapnet. And ANY jeweler who tells you to consider an EGL stone is not a good one.

Plus the stone is crushed ice.

No. No. No.

That's not even in the same neighborhood as the stone you have one hold with JA.
It's like comparing a lexus and a pinto.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results