shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help interpreting GIA grading report for 4.71 cushion cut

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

xraydoc

Rough_Rock
I saw this stone in person and it is gorgeous. G color with med blue fluorescence, eye clean, great spread, and 1.00 ratio. It was very brilliant and sparkly in artificial light and sunlight despite the fairly shallow depth.

Today was the first time I saw the GIA grading diagram
23.gif
I was surprised to see all the lines drawn around the girdle on the pavilion side, I didn't notice them when examining the stone. I assume these are the naturals ? An indented natural is listed on the report but I cannot tell from the diagram exactly where it is. The way I understand things, these are areas of unpolished skin of the rough remaining on the diamond's surface, with the indented natural also extending into the substance of the diamond. Is this correct? I don't remember noticing any extra facets when examining the diamond, presumably they are very small and not a big deal.

We are planning to buy this stone and wanted to make sure the marked naturals and needles would not cause the stone to be unusually fragile once set. Again this seemed to be an "eye clean" stone so the various inclusions don't bother me if they don't compromise the gem's integrity.

Apparently the cutter of this stone is known for producing rounds rather than cushions. I suspect the plan for this big rough was a 5ct round but the sides wound up getting polished down and the result is a roundish and undersized cushion. The 4.71ct weight is a giveaway that the cut didn't go as planned -- with an extra 0.3ct weight it would have a lot more expensive! Nice thing is its spread is more typical of a stone of 5.25 ct or so.

As it is, we are getting a very nice deal on the stone, almost 30% back from Rapp (and that is not including any premium from being in the 4.50-4.99 range)

Thanks

471gvs2.jpg

moremoremore

Ideal_Rock
Interesting cert. Never seen anything like that before. I'm giving you a bump up. You also might want to PM Dave (Old Miner). Hmmm. It;s my understanding that when inclusions are plotted on the face down plot, that means that they are not visible(?) from the face up position and that they break the surface. That might make me nervous depending on the location.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results