shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help- Harry Winston type setting with shallow diamond

benzygirl

Rough_Rock
I am helping my son surprise his girlfriend with an engagement ring. After studying all the "right" things to look for in buying, we have found something "outside" the normal borders but we both love it. It's an oval GIA 1.5 carat F VS1 stone. Exc/VG. The measurements of the stone are 9.92x6.64x3.56. I had read that shallow stones can loose their light through the bottom, but this ring has beautiful sparkle and it faces up closer to a 2 carat in size. My problem is the basket setting. If the stone is shallow, will the basket part look empty and silly?
Should I consider the setting that is made without a basket and the sides come up to reach the halo. Those types I think are made when you want to wear a wedding band flush. The girlfriend sent my son a picture of a Harry Winston ring. As usual they don't show the underneath, so I'm not sure if she knows or cares about that part. I also don't know her intentions about a wedding band. She only told my son she wants a ring like the HW pic with a very thin band. My original thought was to make a donut, with a four prong cage possibly curved inward with the diamonds on the struts only. I prefer the look of the band being a circle with the basket sitting on top rather than the band coming up to meet the halo, but perhaps the second one would suit a shallow diamond better. That is my question. Which would look better? Or will you see it's a shallow diamond in either and perhaps the basket covers some of that view.Or perhpas and enclosed basket would help with any light loss through the bottom? I know it's not a perfect diamond, but it's shiny, white and bigger than the others that he looked at. It''s very sparkily, so I think it's a good choice.
Help me please! Thanks to everyone for so much shared knowledge and beautiful pics.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Re: Need help- Harry Winston type setting with shallow diamo

I prefer a basket with a nice design like the pictures on this oval halo (scroll down through thread).
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-custom-oval-halo.196223/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/new-custom-oval-halo.196223/[/URL]

I'm not as fond of this style. Its fine just not as interesting to me.
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-fiances-oval-halo-ring.169682/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-fiances-oval-halo-ring.169682/[/URL]

This one does not have a donut if she wants to wear her wedding band right up next to her engagement ring.
http://www.diamondsbylauren.com/index.php/jewelry/semi-mount-hand-forged-diamond-halo-flush-fit-semi-mount-so4501

Winks_Elf

Brilliant_Rock
Trade

Can your son talk to her BFF or maybe to her in a casual conversation to find out what she would want? Some women can't stand the look of the prongs being mounted on a band (looks like you can snap off the head without much effort), while others seriously dislike the look of an airline cathedral setting (the one you don't like). Some shanks are available with a slight cathedral profile without being an airline setting. The doughnut you are talking about is most likely to create a gap between her engagement ring and wedding band so that might be a good option for her ring. Since the diamond is shallow, a design in the gallery would hide any gap between pavilion and bottom of the setting.

benzygirl

Rough_Rock

Thanks for some ideas. I always wondered why most people including the orig HW have a donut which doesn't allow a wedding band to lay flush. But now I'm thinking that since my future daughter in law really loves a very thin band, that perhaps having that space allows you to see the very thin band on the engagement ring whereas a flush wedding band would double the width.

Maybe I'll just keep the standard donut HW type setting and not make it quite as high, and perhaps leave the diamonds off the stems because if they are short and the stones are really tiny, it gets a tinny look to me. Maybe clean and simple with the halo and band.

I know in hand forged and the original HW the pave halo stones are about .008 Do they use larger stones on the band of the HW?
We are doing a cast not hand forged. The jeweler suggested using all 1 pointers on the pave halo and the band. Will the one pointers in the halo look too big? It seems like such a tiny difference from .008 to .10. I'm not sure if the halo stones and the band stones are supposed to be the same size? Also when they are set on an angle, is it usually 30? 35%?

I really appreciate the answers and ideas. Thank you so much. Maybe by my second son, I'll know what I'm doing. lol

benzygirl

Rough_Rock

I have decided to ship the stone off to Mark at ERD and not worry about it. I am going for the Ada setting and I'm sure it will look lovely.
I have to tell you I was so sneaky about finding out her ring size today. She is leaving for a wedding, so I went over there to bring her a larger suitcase. Then I asked to see her dress and shoes and bag. Then I told her I brought some jewelry over that maybe she would like to borrow. First I go for the earrings, which she said no she prefers studs. Then I take a ring out and she tries it on. Whoa! It was huge. So I said to her, my you have mini fingers what size are they? 5 1/4. Bingo. Then I showed her a bracelet. She borrowed that. She had no idea I was ring sizing her. Mission accomplished.

Thank you PS boards for your wonderful help. I'll post a picture when I pick it up in October. I'll be in Manhattan and will meet Mark. :angel:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Smart thinking to send it off the ERD. They have done probably 100s of these types of settings. You are in good hands.

Also smart thinking on getting her finger size. It was very good timing that she had a fancy event to go to while
you are planning on having her ring made. Please post pictures when its done!

benzygirl

Rough_Rock

Update!!! I will try and post a picture, but so far they look terrible with my iphone. I picked up the ring on Friday, at ERD. Mark was out of town, so I didn't get to meet him, but Chris helped me and was wonderful. First impression after seeing the renderings were...OMG the setting looks so tiny. The pave halo, the band as well as the curved struts looked really, really small. However, I did notice right away that the stone looked huge because you couldn't see where the diamond ended and the pave began. It just looked like one big shining stone. I kept reminding myself that my son had previously said, "she wants a very thin band." Well, she was getting one. I guess I'm used to bigger, thicker, heavier looking jewelry!! So after we left ERD, we went to Saks, where my sister shopped and I sat in some designer department sitting and really looking at the ring. The more I looked, the more I fell in love. The stone looked huge compared to when I sent it. I had thought larger size pave would make it look better, but now I realized it was those tiny firey white F VS stones that were melting in like butter and making this stone look bigger and better. But, the real love came when we marched further up 5th Avenue and walked into Harry Winston. Right before we opened the door, my sister sternly looked me in the eye and said, "don't take it out"
We spotted the oval halo's right away. OMG OMG OMG....there it was an exact duplicate of the ring that was in my bag. It was then and there, that I finally realized what a great choice I had made in sending the stone to Mark. He knew exactly what to do, he made my life easy, he was truly a pleasure to deal with, and now I was bringing home a ring for my son that I knew his girlfriend was going to love.

The stone is a GIA 1.5 F VS1 Oval. It looked closer to 2 carats before the setting and now it looks closer to 3! It's on my pinky because the ring is a 5.25 and my fingers are bigger! Next week she'll be wearing it. I'm a happy Mama :angel:

_23219.jpg

_23221.jpg

_23222.jpg

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock

Looks beautiful. Great job!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Fantastic.

benzygirl

Rough_Rock

Finally on her finger. A big thank you to all the people who post on PriceScope. This is an amazing board!

ringredpolish2.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium

The ring looks great! And I like how you sneakily got her ring size. I bet she loves the ring!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock

So beautiful- I bet she about fell over! Thanks so much for sharing your story- you are super sweet and clever. You did an amazing job!

MJ0911

Rough_Rock

Looks amazing!!

I was wondering - what size/point pave dod you go for in the end? I'm aiming for the same look - for the halo to be almost indistinguishable from the stone. Your daughter-in-law's ring looks like complete perfection to me!

soxfan

Ideal_Rock
Premium

That is GORGEOUS! I just love ovals..... :love:

benzygirl

Rough_Rock

@MJ0911...I believe the halo is .008 stones (1.2mm) and the band .015 (1.5mm) and the band 1.9 mm wide. I am waiting for confirmation from ERD. I can only tell you from my experience that the smaller pave blend into the stone much better than larger ones. The beauty of this ring is you don't even notice the pave. When I first saw it in person I was shocked at how small the stones were. But Harry Winston knew what he was doing when he designed this ring. In this case less is more! Should I find out that I am not correct on measurements, I will repost.

My future daughter in law, is over the moon with this surprise e-ring. She was smart enough over a year ago to send the HW picture to my son saying if we ever get engaged, I'd love something like this. But I can tell you she didn't expect something so gorgeous or large and she can't stop looking at it and can't take the smile off her face. The whole thing is a joy.

So my final sweet thing I did, was buy her a Waterford heart ringholder to put by her kitchen sink, and I gave it to her last night when she came over to show me the ring on her finger.

PS. If you want a ring like this....just call Mark at ERD. He knows exactly how to do it in proportion to your stone.
PPS. I love oval's too. Here's my ring. I couldn't figure out how to make it an avitar? Help?

_23331.jpg

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock

Benzy- I want your ring! I love it.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Gorgeous! both your ring and your soon to be DIL. Mark does fantastic work :appl:

benzygirl

Rough_Rock

My ring is very special. It was my Mom's. It's over 7 carats plus the bagettes. I don't wear it everyday,(duh) just for special occasions, but I feel like my Mom is right there with me when I wear it.

I laugh when I look at the DIL's hand and mine. 25 vs. 60!!

Can anyone tell me how to do the avitar picture thing?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results