shape
carat
color
clarity

Need help deciding between two princess cut diamonds

eensign

Rough_Rock
Hello all,

I need some help deciding whether or not to go with either of these two Princess Cut diamonds.

Diamond # 1 is a 1.28 I VS1 Princess Cut. The ASET looks pretty good, except for some light leakage on one side of the table. Would really appreciate your comments on how serious this leakeage is, if the amount of leakage is acceptable for a princess, or if maybe I should keep looking. The Sarin report shows a slight deviation in pavillion angle to about 38.6 degrees on one side. The rest are above 39.2 degrees, with an average of 39.3 degrees overall. The crown height is at 12 percent, so I'm expecting lots of fire. It looks like it has enough contrast so I'm also expecting it to be lively and the gemologist who has it says it's very bright and that the light leakage won't be noticable to the untrained eye. The gemologist also says there are no dark areas and it has excellent light return.

Diamond # 2 is a 1.24 G SI1 Princess Cut. I'm not sure how to interpret this ASET, but it looks like it may have a flat crown to me. The Sarin report shows a crown height of only 7.4 percent overall and I'm concerned that that factor alone may make it appear lifeless. The gemologist that holds it says it has very good light return and that it is also bright. It is also eye clean.

ASET images, Sarin reports, and digital photos for both diamonds are attached. Please help me decide if I should buy either diamond, or pass on both. Thank you.

Best regards, Eric.

1_28-I-VS1.jpg

1356231sarin3.jpg

I-VS1-1.28.jpg

1.24-G-SI1.jpg

eensign

Rough_Rock
Here are the Sarin Report and Digital Photo on the 1.24 G SI1 Princess Cut to add to my previous post (Pricescope only allows 4 images at a time) :twirl:

1384995sarin3.jpg

G SI1 1.24.jpg

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
To my untrained ASET eye, I would go with the first one, but I am not an I fan.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Both look really good. 7.4% is not really that flat; Blue Nile advertises their signatures to have a minimum of 8%.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
both looks good to me too!

I prefer the look of #2 better, but what is that Inclusion? is it a chip? or nick or cavity? make sure eye clean or ok for you?

eensign

Rough_Rock
The inclusion is a needle in the pavillion. The gemologist says it's eye clean. I just noticed that on the 1.28 I VS1, that there is wide variance in the pavillion angle. Is that something I should be concerned about, especially with the ASET showing some leakage?

Thank you all.

eensign

Rough_Rock
Also, both diamonds have GIA grading reports; stats are posted below:

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.28
Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 72.3%
Table: 70.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle:
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.02*5.92*4.28
Ratio: 1.02

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Shape: Princess
Carat weight: 1.24
Cut: Ideal
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Certificate: GIA

Depth: 70.8%
Table: 69.0%
Polish: Very Good
Symmetry: Very Good
Girdle:
Culet:
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 6.06*5.93*4.20
Ratio: 1.02

Christina...

Ideal_Rock
eensign|1309535903|2959934 said:
The inclusion is a needle in the pavillion. The gemologist says it's eye clean. I just noticed that on the 1.28 I VS1, that there is wide variance in the pavillion angle. Is that something I should be concerned about, especially with the ASET showing some leakage?

Thank you all.

I'm liking #2. The slight leakage that you see in #1 could be from the variance in pav angles. Neither one is a bad stone, but for me, if I had to choose I like #2. I also like the G color and the slightly smaller table.

jaebond

Shiny_Rock
jaebond|1309440115|2958963 said:
To my untrained ASET eye, I would go with the first one, but I am not an I fan.

I take this back. I saw a well cut I today and there was no issue.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results