Need help choosing between Oval cuts

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Did they bring these in for you?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry, should have explained myself. You can pay a deposit and GOG will bring in 3 stones for you to pick from. They do asets
and usually a video.

I'm not fond of either of these stones. The first one is better than the second (IMO).

Let me see what JA has.

Here is a list of pretty ones but I think most/all are out of your budget :(sad but it might help you see what a pretty
oval looks like.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/?CaratFrom=1.61&CaratTo=15.00&Color=H,G,F,E,D&Clarity=SI1,VS2,VS1,VVS2,VVS1,IF&PriceFrom=200&PriceTo=999000&ViewsOptions=Images&TabSelected=3&DiamondID=426998,224415,330196,260756,515956,269363,374559,302610,302720,302691

You need to look for a lot facets "sparking on/off" and what I call the "hall of mirrors" look. Areas that look kind of fuzzy and not
well defined...we call that "mush" and you want to minimize the mush. You also want to minimize the bow-tie...a big dark area
going through the middle of the stone.

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is this not just the photography' I don't see the JA ovals as better?

MrsJolie

Rough_Rock
It's hard to decide because the pictures of the ovals on the website are beautiful.

But based on the stats....I would go with the best color and clarity, the G VS1 oval.

When looking at diamonds online, my go-to website is always JA because his diamond pictures are awesome. You can get an idea of what the stone really looks like without perfect lighting. You can spin it around and view it from all angles zoomed in.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I actually prefer GOG because they can make a video comparing the diamonds you are considering and evaluate the light return as well. They can call in a couple more if you'd like more to choose from, but I think both of the GOG stones you linked have potential. I like VS clarity so I would lean towards the G VS1 stone. Please just call them and tell them what you are looking for and ask if they'd bring a couple more stones in.

epalenschat

Rough_Rock
My budget is $18k and under. I'd like to stay as close to 2 carrots as possible, but would be willing to go lower if the spread is particularly good. Fire and scintillation are my most important criteria.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
For ovals...the cut really outranks color/clarity (My opinion). You have to find a good cut first and then deal with the color/clarity
factors. They are not like finding rounds where you can pick your color/clarity then go find a well cut round (because it will be out
there). With ovals, there are soooo many poorly cut ones that you really have to look for one that is well cut (minimal bow-tie,
center that also radiates in all directions, nice faceting pattern through the bow-tie area and no shoulders on the stone) first,
then hopefully the color/clarity falls within your tolerance.

I'll see what I can find closer to 2 carats under $18k that look good.

Gog will bring stones in for you. Might be best to figure out what you like and don't like about ovals first though.

FYI...oval information
Ovals come in a couple different facating patterns...look at the plot diagram on these stones to see the different patterns

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.52-carat-d-color-si1-clarity-sku-565366 (personally my* favorite because the
center tends to radiate N/S and E/W across the stone but can tend to have bow-tie if not cut well)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.00-carat-e-color-vs1-clarity-sku-295879 (no arrow going N/S but still very nice)

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.02-carat-e-color-si2-clarity-sku-196664 4 large facets on bottom of stone.
Less chance of bow-tie but often a some what "messy" look in the middle of the stone. Not sure what else to call it???

http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.05-carat-g-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-504944 No arrows going through the center
E/W. These can also be nice.

You can find good/bad cuts in each stone.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is about the only one I saw at JA that was decent that was close to 2 carats. Still a little over budget.
http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/2.03-carat-h-color-vvs2-clarity-sku-260756

Other option is Enchanted Diamonds...they have some stones in your budget but I have a really hard time telling which ones
are well cut and I dont want to go out on a limb. Their numbering system doesnt tell you a lot either with fancy cuts. Works
with rounds but not so much with fancy cuts.

Plus there is also GOG.

epalenschat

Rough_Rock
Thanks. I had my friend use his account to get ASET on three stones becuase I didn't want to use mine yet. Also below are the JA gemologist's notes. Are any of these winners?

Thank you for your patience while waiting for the ASET images and gemologist inspection results for diamonds 382282, 544425 and 528478. Attached please find the ASET images along with an interpretation guide. The gemologist was also able to provide some great feedback for you on these diamonds with regard to their overall performance and a comparison of all three which I have provided below.

1) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-382282 ($14,840) - stands out among the three with excellent brilliance, fire and sparkle! It faces up white and very bright with a minimal bowtie. The diamond is very lively throughout with a beautiful shape and faceting pattern! The SI1 inclusions are confined to the girdle and are not visible.

2) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.83-carat-h-color-vs1-clarity-sku-528478 ($13,870) - is another great selection with great brilliance, fire and sparkle! It faces up white with a hair more warmth in its tone at its H color. There is a great deal of fire throughout the diamond as well. It has a great shape and faceting pattern to it with a minimal bowtie. At its VS1 clarity, it is also eye-clean.

3) http://www.jamesallen.com/loose-diamonds/oval-cut/1.80-carat-g-color-si1-clarity-sku-544425 - ($14,860) is yet another great option with very good brilliance, fire and sparkle. It faces up white and has a lot of life to it. There is a great faceting pattern within the diamond and a minimal bow-tie. The SI1 inclusions are not visible, allowing the diamond to be eye-clean.

382282.jpg

528478.jpg

544425.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The center one has too much of a bow-tie for me. It doesnt just go dark and flash back on, it stays black for a while while you rock the
stone back in forth so I feel like you are going to see the bow-tie a lot.

When I look at the other side-by-side the last one (544425) looks like it has a much brighter center. The facets look really well
defined and reflect light better than the other one (382282). They both have the typical areas
of "mush" for ovals but the last one(544425) seems to be less mushy or a little more pleasing to me.

With all that being said, I usually like to go with what the JA gemologist advices. However, they seem to really like all the stones
and just said the 1st one stood out among the 3.

So, there you go...that's my* analysis from looking at the videos/asets.

I also found this "I" which may have too much tint in it for you but I thought it had a pretty faceting pattern, good price and size.
Darn...my paste isnt working...it's stone 278992.

epalenschat

Rough_Rock
I really like the I you sent. However, I'm planning on a platinum setting with a halo and a pave. Would it be better to go with a H or a G in that setting?

Also, a general question. Do you think stone 1 and 3 are great stones or just OK? If you think there are better options out there for the money I'd like to keep looking, but I'm just not sure. I've been looking for a while now. Would be really nice to get your perspective. I really want a stone that is going to WOW her.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, I have to say that most* girls are impressed with sparkle and size over color and clarity.

Color and clarity have to be good enough. Sparkle needs to be maximized. Size needs to be maximized but
not to the detriment of color, clarity or sparkle. (obviously, some do have other priorities).

Normally I would stay in the G/H range for an oval with a halo.

Another pretty "I" ...447601. Really bright stone. I know, quite pointing out nice "I"s.

You can check out this halo thread for ideas about halos. If you are having one custom/cad made then you should
ask for help from some of our halo experts. They've got halos down to a fine art.

So, I think 1 and 3 are pretty nice stones. Are they the best I've ever seen in an oval? No. But those are very rare and very
hard to come by.

edit...halo thread
since my paste isnt working...it's called A collection of halos over on the Show Me the Bling forum.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
tyty333|1435702795|3897034 said:
So, I think 1 and 3 are pretty nice stones. Are they the best I've ever seen in an oval? No. But those are very rare and very hard to come by.

+1.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Old thread spammer has pulled up

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results