shape
carat
color
clarity

Need an opinion

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kainer25

Rough_Rock
Looking at purchasing a round diamond solitare 2.08ct, SI2, H in color, and very good cut. The problem is that the diamond is not certified! Do I take the word of the dealer who is very respected and just get it apraised by an outside apraiser, or do I need to get it certified? He is asking $7,700 for the diamond set in a platinum setting. It this a good deal? HELP!!!!!!

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, I think folks should get a lab report for anything costing over a thousand or two. I'd try to arrange for the seller to obtain the report, or at least to pay if it doesn't come back as represented. You'll also have the opportunity to see this unmounted and under a scope if it's going in for a report like this.

It the stone reasonably eye clean? Plenty of life in various lighting, especially compared with stones of a known make? If it's really H-SI2, even for an non-ideal stone, I think that's a pretty good price as long as there aren't any durability issues.

The PGS discussion recently makes me think that would be a good option - will take much less time than a GIA report and probably as reliable. Dave Atlas here can also do an AGA report in addition to an appraisal, another good option. It sounds like both could be done in days instead of weeks.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/25/2004 11:21:33 PM kainer25 wrote:

Looking at purchasing a round diamond solitare 2.08ct, SI2, H in color, and very good cut. The problem is that the diamond is not certified! Do I take the word of the dealer who is very respected and just get it apraised by an outside apraiser, or do I need to get it certified? He is asking $7,700 for the diamond set in a platinum setting. It this a good deal? HELP!!!!!!----------------

kainer25,
christmas in july...santa's comming to town early this year ? there's no way a dealer would sell you this stone for $7700 if it's a true h si2 stone,if you send it to ags or gia and it comes back h si2 you hit a jackpot, something don't add up here,how do you know is a good cut ?

kainer25

Rough_Rock
Well, I'm going on what the jeweler told me for now. I'm not rushing into anything, but he told me that it was a great deal. They are an independent family owned business that has been around for 25 years so I would hope they are pretty honest, but I'm sure you never know. The diamond looked very nice, but if you looked very close you could see a tiny cloud in the upper left corner. I'm new at this so I just wanted to here what people had to say about the price for the size and quality I'd get. He told me to check around on the internet, other stores, etc to see if I could find a better deal. He also said that it would appraise for over 12,000 and to take it to other jewelers to get it appraised because he's sure that it wouldn't be any less. It does sound like a great deal, so I don't want to pass this up if it is indeed true, but how can I be so sure when the diamond isn't certified? As I said, I'm not too knowledgeable on this so I need some advice!!!

marriahlyn

Shiny_Rock
hmm where are you from? I just got offered the same deal from the same kind of family owned business. I didn't jump either. I would tell them that you would pay to send it to a good lab.

Good luck,
Jaime

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
Some folks sound kindof incredulous over the price. I don't have the latest information but I have the idea that this is being offered at something roughly like 40 back, which isn't a huge stretch for an average make, especially if this was taken on trade or purchased from an estate etc. The pros here can correct me or offer more recent pricing info.

I can understand if he doesn't want to tie up funds waiting for a GIA report, so unless you can both agree on an alternate lab e.g. AGA or PGS that takes less time, it wouldn't be unreasonable to expect you to commit to the sale and pay up front contingent upon the grade if you want a GIA report. On a two carat stone, I'd want GIA paper. And since the report won't be cheap, by sending it in the jeweler would be making something of a commitment to his call as well, which is good.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/26/2004 6:07:27 AM kainer25 wrote:

Well, I'm going on what the jeweler told me for now. I'm not rushing into anything, but he told me that it was a great deal. They are an independent family owned business that has been around for 25 years so I would hope they are pretty honest, but I'm sure you never know. The diamond looked very nice, but if you looked very close you could see a tiny cloud in the upper left corner. I'm new at this so I just wanted to here what people had to say about the price for the size and quality I'd get. He told me to check around on the internet, other stores, etc to see if I could find a better deal. He also said that it would appraise for over 12,000 and to take it to other jewelers to get it appraised because he's sure that it wouldn't be any less. It does sound like a great deal, so I don't want to pass this up if it is indeed true, but how can I be so sure when the diamond isn't certified? As I said, I'm not too knowledgeable on this so I need some advice!!!----------------

Kainer25
tell the vendor send the stone to ags for certifie they don't take that long,last i heard was 1 week.

kainer25

Rough_Rock
Any idea around how much that would cost? And if I did, would that mean that I'd be out the money if it came back different than what the dealer originally told me? How would that typically work? Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/26/2004 7:51:30 PM kainer25 wrote:

Any idea around how much that would cost? And if I did, would that mean that I'd be out the money if it came back different than what the dealer originally told me? How would that typically work? Thanks!----------------

kainer25,
the ags cert cost me $150 + shipping both ways. so maybe another $80? maybe you can work something out with the vendor. if the stone comes back h si2 or better, you will pay for the cert. if he has confidence in his grading, he should have no objection of doing this.

good luck

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

Honestly that's a lot to spend for a diamond if you don't have a cert! No matter what size! Also, that could'nt be a well cut 2 ct diamond for $7000 dollars, even with an SI2.

The local jeweler in my small town doesn't cert his diamonds either and say's it's trust and he has been around since like 1950 something. I took my business elsewhere. I bought an AGS 000 Ideal diamond 1.085 H VS2 for 7000.00 and a 14kt gold setting and wedding band for a total of $7500. I couldn't imagine spending that much for something that wasn't certed by an outside source. Plus without certification you have no idea if the stone is deep or shallow, let alone ideal cut.

Had I known everything I know now, I would have bought online with one of the pricescope vendors. I am in the process of buying another diamond (a lot smaller in the .30's) but this time I am buying online, getting H&A's and paying a lot less than at a B&M.

Good luck!!

kainer25

Rough_Rock
If the diamond is what he claims it is, would you say I'd be getting a good deal? He is including a platinum setting, if that matters. Would a smaller diamond with better color and clarity be a smarter way to go? I like the fact that it is a large stone, but clarity and color is important to me as well. And, if it comes back to be a step down in color and clarity would you say that it is still a good price? Let me know what you think.

kainer25

Rough_Rock
Thanks for your advice Melanie. Where online did you say you would have bought from? I'm been searching different sights to compare prices, etc. but I feel that it's a little risky. I don't really know of anyone personally that has purchased online, but am open to check more into it if someone can let me know their experience with it. I'd prefer a large stone and would like to stay under 10,000 if possible. Thanks!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
----------------
On 7/26/2004 8:25:52 PM kainer25 wrote:

If the diamond is what he claims it is, would you say I'd be getting a good deal? He is including a platinum setting, if that matters. Would a smaller diamond with better color and clarity be a smarter way to go? I like the fact that it is a large stone, but clarity and color is important to me as well. And, if it comes back to be a step down in color and clarity would you say that it is still a good price? Let me know what you think.----------------

kainer25,
if the stone comes back from ags 1 color and 1 clarity grade lower, along with a bad cut, then it's not a great deal. you can figure the platinum ring will cost somewhere about $400, for a common setting. you say you have $10,000 to spend, that will buy you a nice stone. most important thing is the CUT, what good is a stone that doesn't sparkle, no matter what size you got. my favorite combo is h vs2. you should check out some of the vendors here on P.S. i purchase a 3.34 ct from (jonathan) good old gold and also delt with (wink) from winfield's they are honest gentlemen's will give you good advice.

msbennie

Shiny_Rock
Kainer, you're in Houston, go to Whiteflash......I think you will get a much better deal...it's over by the Galleria.....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results