shape
carat
color
clarity

need advice regarding IGI certified H&A

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

albetan

Rough_Rock
Hello

After researching for a couple of days, i am considering buying off B&M (in Singapore) or thru internet.
Collected some prices as below: (Sg B&M vs Net pricing)

Seller Carat Color Clarity Price/Carat(us$)
----------------------------------------------------------------
SgTK H&A 0.541 E VS1 US$4600
SGTK H&A 0.554 F VS1 US$4300

Online-WF H&A 0.520 E VS1 US$4588
Online-WF H&A 0.543 F VS1 US$4267

It seems that this "B&M" shop is very reasonable price (from the price/carat),
Esp i have to further add 5%GST & shipping for the online purchase.

The only problem is that the shop H&A are certified by IGI-Japan,
My main concern is whether the IGI cut will be as good as those AGS certified H&A.

Anyone comment on IGI grading will be appreciated....Thanks

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Hello Albetan.

One clarification: AGS does not grade H&A.

Here is some information on H&A standards.

IGI has begun including either H&A photos or H&A "Illustrations" (?) on some grading reports. The photos are interesting. I am not sure why an illustration would be substituted.

I can't find any information assigning a grade to the trueness (or non-trueness) of the patterning. I see the statements "The diamond described is commonly referred to (in the trade?) as *Hearts & Arrows* - Tested with Hearts & Arrows gemscope...The symbols do not actually reflect the size of the characteristics"

This is vague, as you can observe a "likeness" of H&A in many diamonds without having true or even near-true patterning.

Here are both types of grading reports from IGI which include a H&A photo or simulacrum.

If you do a Pricescope search on IGI you should be able to find much opinion on the lab.

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
Hi & welcome to Pricescope,

The prices seem abit steep, which shop in Spore did you get them from?

albetan

Rough_Rock
Hi John,
Thanks for the report link
41.gif

Also, Can i assume the Japan IGI report will be similiar ?

Tomatoe,
fyi, the price from taka....you got better recommendation!!

tomatoe

Brilliant_Rock
So you''re calculating price/ carat instead of direct selling price, if yes then the price is ok? Taka is the cheapest when on 40% sale, but if not on sale their prices can still be cheaper than others. I''ve helped 2 friends choose IGI/ EGL H&A stones from Taka before. You''ll need your eyes and a Idealscope to help with your selection, just buying off the paper is not enough. Saw some duds while shopping.

JohnQuixote

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2005 12:15:33 PM
Author: albetan
Hi John,
Thanks for the report link
41.gif

Also, Can i assume the Japan IGI report will be similiar ?
You''re welcome.

We do not submit stones to IGI - so my answer is steeped in only a small teacup of experience - but I believe their reports are standardized.

my2cents

Rough_Rock
Hi, I''m new to this diamond buying lark too. But I have been shopping around and I agree with Tomatoe. Both your Singapore site and your internet site seem a bit expensive...

That is if I''m correvtly assuming that you are remarking on the price per carat as US$ price for diamond / diamond weight...

Have you tried the pricescope diamond search? The search by cut is really quite useful...

Yupi

Rough_Rock
albetan,
"My main concern is whether the IGI cut will be as good as those AGS certified H&A. Anyone comment on IGI grading will be appreciated....Thanks"

Regarding your concern above, when you say "IGI cut" I believe you mean the cert. issued by IGI because IGI is a lab, not a manufacturer. I work and live in Hong Kong and I have seen IGI,GIA,HRD, CGL,AGS certs. I see GIA certs but I can tell little about the quality of the cut because there are no measurement details.

So I ended up buying a stone with CGL cert (Japan). I did not pick the H&A stone which comes with an IGI cert, because although I love those H&A stones for their beauty and quality, I think the premium is bit high.

Carry on reading all the stuff about IGI in this forum. But you will find it has not received much positive response here, for some reasons. My guesses, IGI is not from USA? It is/perceived to be "only" a second-tier lab? It is not a "non-profit" lab? It serves countries/markets where people are less concerned about certs, err, such as ppl in Asia?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results