shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on radiant centers and settings!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

anisha

Rough_Rock
Hello all!

I''ve been stalking PS for a while now and finally decided to post. This place is great! I was recently instructed by my boyfriend to look for rings, and am happily obliging. After trying on several types of stones, I have decided I''m a "radiant" kind of girl (apparently one of FEW!)

The issue is that I live in GA and my Bf lives in CA, and ring shopping has turned out to be quite complicated. On top of that, I''m the type of person that needs everything perfect and he''s like the "whatever" kind of person, so I''ve taken it upon myself to do most of the legwork so he can just make the purchase and surprise me (sort of). My budget is around 10K but I''d like to be under if possible, assuming I am satisified with the bling factor!

I found a diamond on DoW (has anyone used them?) and wanted to see if you had any advice/opinions on the specs/price. Here''s the info:

PRICE: $7658
Measurement: 7.43 - 6.30 x 4.54
Carat weight: 1.70
Cut: Excellent
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
L/W Ratio: 1.18
Depth%: 72.1%
Table%: 67%
Symmetry: Very Good
Polish: Good
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Ceritification: GIA

Also, I found a setting I like on BlueNile for a good price, but they won''t sell the setting on its own. I was wondering if you knew of anywhere where I could get the same/very similar setting for around the same price. I don''t know how to post the pic, but here is the link:
http://www.bluenile.com/product_details.asp?oid=5846&catid=93&filter_id=0&nav1=settings_channel.asp&page=1&col=2&row=6&pos=17
This setting has I colored diamonds though, so if was set next to an F I assume there would be a color dif. Also, there is an option to have the side diamonds in round, but I feel princess would go better with a radiant....do you think so?

I''m not set on this particular diamond, but definitely a radiant that is NOT square, rather more rectangular with like 1.1something to 1.2ish L/W ration. Any ideas where else I can find good deals on them?

Sorry this post was so long...I guess it''s a newbie thing. Thanks for your help!
30.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
I think the diamond you chose is a bit deep. That doesn''t mean it''s not a good looking diamond, but it may just look smaller than it should for its weight.

Here''s one to check out, but it''s quite a bit more expensive than the one you picked out.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=4936458&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

Here''s another that''s a bit cheaper, but it''s an H.

http://search.virtcert.com/cgi/u/1012/v.cgi?stock=5001997&_s=1012&_p=sdf348gd743&_c=&_fs=1&prestock=&_ln=ps

As for the setting,
I haven''t seen that setting anywhere, but that doesn''t mean it doesn''t exist. You could also have someone custom make that setting for you. It would not be a difficult setting for a jeweler or one of the vendors on here. I agree with you that the princess diamonds will look better than round ones.

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
I agree that it looks a little deep. I don't claim know a heck of a lot about radiants but comparing it to Dave Atlas's recommendations, I would say pass on it. Plus, even well-cut radiants tend to look small for their size, so this depth will not help. What are your main concerns when it comes to choosing a diamond. You seem to like a colorless stone, so is that more important to you than choosing a good cut? Are you trying to maximize size? Just trying to get an idea of what your priorities are. Agree that this setting could easily be duplicated by a trusted local jewler or online vendor.

Also, if you do a search for Dow, you will find some opinions on the company. I have never dealt with them.

anisha

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the input, guys. I never realized how complicated diamond purchasing is! It''s quite overwhelming.

My main goals for my diamond is:

-a good cut---maximize the sparkle
-maximize size without getting too pricy or sacrficing too much color

When I went to a B&M to look, I saw an H radiant, which looked fine...did not appear to be yellow. However, I then put it next to a D, and obviously there was a definite difference. My concern is that G and H diamonds will show some yellow, which I don''t want. I know I have seen a lot of diamonds on here that are H''s and look great, so I''m not sure if my concern is valid. (I particularly like diamondgirl''s radiant, although I prefer more rectangular).

I''m trying to keep the $$ of the diamond itself under 8-9K, so that I have some flexibility on the band.

Do you guys thing that the side princess diamonds on my band of choice will take away from the brilliance of the radiant? I think the tcw on the princesses is .33.

lawgirl2831

Rough_Rock
HI Anisha! I am going through the exact same thing. Budget a little different and I am looking for a Square rather than Rectangle Radiant. It seems to be a confusing cut!

From hours of reading posts here, I think I am trying to stay with a more shallow stone. I think I may have ID''d one - jsut waiting to hear back on whether folks can get their hands on it and to see a Sarin and Scope....

Good Luck!

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Anisha,
Welcome!
First of all- there are quite a few ladies who love Radiant Cut diamonds- so you''re part of a large group.....

Did you know that the creator of the cut has established standards which is really THE guide to what constitutes a well cut Radiant Cut Diamond.
- all due respect to anyone else who''s attempted to establish standards-
Here''s their site-
http://www.radiantcut.com/

Princesses on the band??? It really depends on how they are set.

Lawgirl- Square Radiant Cuts are also avaiable on the market- it''s really not confusing at all- just that so many people are saying so many different things.
I feel the creators of the cut give folks the most workable guidelines.

anisha

Rough_Rock
Hello again,

Thanks for your responses. I''m still searching for that "perfect" diamond. I have found 2 on DcD that seem to be alright, and wanted to know what you think.

Here are the specs:
Price: $7,158
Laboratory: EGL
Carat Weight: 1.76
Color: H
Clarity: SI1
Shape: Radiant
Depth: 61.8%
Table: 69%
Polish: VG
Symmetry: GD
Culet: N
Girdle: THN
Measurements: 7.84x6.68x4.13

Price: $6,471
Laboratory: EGL
Carat Weight: 1.52
Color: F
Clarity: SI2
Shape: Radiant
Depth: 65.3%
Table: 65%
Polish: GD
Symmetry: GD
Culet: N
Girdle: M
Measurements: 7.64x6.16x4.02

Some of my concerns are that whether I will be happy with a 1.52 carat....I really liked nicrez''s ring (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-love-my-new-radiant-engagement-ring.29538/) but I prefer more rectangular, and hers is a 1.55 and H so I''m thinking the 1.52 should be fine, given the dimensions, plus it is an F color. Another concern is with the EGL grading.

Which stone do you think is better? Are they reasonably priced? Is the bigger H one a better choice or the smaller F? I''m sooo confused! Are either of them any good?

Any advice you can offer is appreciated. Also, what kind of side stones do you think will look good with a non-square radiant? Do you think they will take away from the center stone''s beauty? I''m the type to prefer it to be "more about the ring" than "more about the stone".

Thanks in advance
30.gif

coda72

Brilliant_Rock
Either one of the stones you picked out could be beautiful, or one or both of them could be not so great. Once you have found stones with good numbers, you have to see them to know if you like them. Numbers can only be used to rule out certain stones.

Ok, about #1, since it is EGL grading, it could be off one or more color grades. So, this H could really be a GIA I or J. Now, depending on how color sensitive you are, this may not bother you, but I personally would not buy a fancy shape in a J.

#2 looks like it could be ok, since it''s an F, worst case scenario it''s really an H. Since it is an SI2, you will have to check with the vendor to make sure it''s eyeclean. Definitely out of these two stones, I like this one better. But you will have to see it to see if it''s the one for you.

As far as side stones, I think trillions look good with radiants. I personally have pear shaped side stones, which many people don''t think look good with radiants, but I like how they look. You could also do a three stone radiant ring. I think that would look nice. Check out the show me your radiant thread under the Show me the Ring forum to get more ideas.

diamondsbylauren

Brilliant_Rock
Anisha,
I''d stay away from diamonds of this size and quality that do NOT have a GIA report.
For a cutter, there are only a few reasons to use anyone other than GIA to grade a Radiant cut- all of these reasons are NOT good ( for the purchaser of the diamond)
People may assume the only difference might be a grade or two on color and clarity- professionals in this business know differently.

If you were to find a nicely cut J, as graded by GIA, you might be very pleasantly surprised at the price, and how beautiful a well cut J color can be.
FANCY SHAPES ARE NOT MORE PRONE TO SHOW COLOR, as a rule. Some J-K-L fancies do show color it''s true, but then again, some well cut rounds also can show a tint. Each stone needs to be judged on it''s own merits.

Trilliants are lovely, as are trapezoids- we''ve even done rings with a radiant flanked by 2 rounds which I thought unusual, but the person who wanted it LOVED it.
It''s crucial that the matching is done carefully, and that the construction of the ring is done well too......

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results