shape
carat
color
clarity

Need Advice On My Next Purchase Please!

principesse

Rough_Rock
Hello dear PSers, I think this is my first post and I really need your advice! My husband has just informed me that he would like to get me my long desired 2ctw diamond studs for my birthday (and Valentine's Day..and our next anniversary, haha). This will be our biggest jewelry purchase yet!

Here's my dilemma: As we were talking, my husband mentioned that he would have preferred to get me something more "impressive" than the studs with the money, like a nice diamond necklace or chandelier earrings or something. He said that he finds diamond studs too "small" and unsubstantial. In general, he said he is not a fan of stud earrings and prefers dangly earrings. That said, he has never seen me try on 2ctw studs or even seen pictures of them on my ears, so I assured him that diamond studs are a classic and timeless jewelry item and that I could wear them everyday or to a fancy wedding, they would always be appropriate and they are much sparklier and more "impressive" in real life than he imagines them to be. His reply was: "Hmmm...so you will be walking around everyday with $17,000 worth of diamonds in your ears? What if one falls off?"

His reaction is now making me hesitate on what has long been THE number one item at the top of my jewelry wish list. Really, are the studs worth it? Are they the must-have classic, timeless item I've always perceived them to be? Are they as pretty, sparkly and "impressive" as I regard them to be? By "impressive" I don't mean that I want to show off to other people, it's just that when you spend a lot on a piece of jewelry, you want it to be beautiful, flattering and visible enough so that YOU more than anyone else can admire its beauty and admire the piece on yourself. Is the size I want enough? (I will post an ear shot when I am done typing). I am also feeling a little guilty because I feel that the studs are a little over our budget, even though my husband says this amount is fine (but it will be my birthday, Valentine's Day and anniversary gift :)). It's just his opinion of the studs, which to be fair he has never seen, that's now worrying me. Our jeweler advised me to go for 2ctw rather than the very close 1.8 ctw because the majority of people who go for the latter end up upgrading sooner rather than later. She also insisted that I should not go below a G color and promised that she would get me excellently cut stones in at least VS quality (GIA certified, of course) that would be my "forever studs".

So, sorry for this giant essay but, what would you advise me to do? Would you go for the studs? Or chandelier earrings? Or actually there is a chandelier pendant at my jeweler's that I have fallen in love with that is less than a third the price of the studs! Or should I go for the studs now that I finally have the opportunity? I would really love to have them (you have no idea how badly I have wanted them!) but the conversation with my husband has made me question whether I am right to want them so much and whether I would get to wear them as often as I would want and also whether they would be nice to wear at weddings and such because, in my middle eastern culture, we get invited to weddings a lot and we love to dress up for weddings and wear nice jewelry. I wonder if they look good on my ears or if I should wait and go larger? Would love to hear your input, diamond experts :angel: .

img_6133.jpg

img_6136.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get the studs and insure them. They are classic ! If you lose one it's covered! Where can you not wear diamond studs?

Trudii

Rough_Rock
Go for what you want. I think it is a better deal to have something you can wear every day than something that stays hidden in a box only for special occasions.

tmot14

Shiny_Rock
Have you done some comparison shopping online? It sounds like you're going to a bricks and mortar store, but a lot of time you can save $$ (plus sales tax) by ordering from a reputable online vendor. Then you could still get the 2ct studs and worry less about the cost. Definitely insure them either way!

It sounds like you really want the studs, and don't worry-- they truly are classic and timeless. If you or your husband are worried about them feeling "plain" , you could get some jackets to dress them up later (perhaps for another anniversary/birthday) or those little drop attachments (sorry--not sure what they're called). I personally think they look gorgeous on you!

mdmc

Shiny_Rock
Premium
I would get what you want. I have diamond studs and love them. I also wear them every day. I would rather wear something that expensive every day than once a month or so. I also have mine insured. If I lose one I can replace it. I think you should consider what others are saying about buying on line. You can get beautiful stones and save a ton. I look forward to seeing what you decide..

LaraOnline

Ideal_Rock
Tell hubby that next year you'll be getting jackets - both the type that surround the diamond as a halo, and the type that drop underneath the earring like a chandelier!
Your stud earrings will be the perfect starting point!
And the year after that, he could gift you with gemstone jackets lol.... and pearl dangles they look fab as well

icyjade posted a feast of pearl jacket photos in this thread:
[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-my-loose-pearls-from-the-sjgf-2013.194496/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/setting-my-loose-pearls-from-the-sjgf-2013.194496/[/URL]

here is another interesting way to wear a jacket:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/two-wear-way-pearl-stund-earrings-gold-A9158-23/1472789134.html

My fantasy jacket would be a full blown chandelier / halo jacket that fits around the earring AND hangs underneath!
I wonder if many clever jewellers make these, as I have never seen one off-the-shelf.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think they look lovely in your ears. I would get them. Unlike what your jeweler said though, I would probably go down
lower in color (H,I,J) color and go down to eye-clean SI1s.

Whiteflash and James Allen are good sites for picking out earrings.

principesse

Rough_Rock
Thank you all so much for your comments and recommendations, you've been very helpful. Unfortunately, I can't purchase online, as I am located in Asia and am not from the States at all. However, when I last asked my jeweler for a quotation, she gave me prices that were very close to those of Bluenile. She is a jeweler that was recommended to us by a very close friend who has known her and dealt with her for many years, so we trust her very much and she gives us the best prices she can because of our friend.

My husband asked me to wait a little bit to make this purchase until he can make some calculations and hasn't brought this up since :( so I don't know anymore when, if at all, I might be getting the studs :'( :'( sniff sniff. However, I will post here as soon as I do get them :) Thank you all again!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results