shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on buying a Princess cut diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pg_rider

Rough_Rock
My girlfriend is very simple and wants a Princess cut solitaire in a four-prong platinum setting. I've been doing a lot of research on what makes a "good" Princess cut and thought I knew what to look for:

1.2-1.3 carats
F-G color
VVS1-VS2 clarity
Ideal cut
Depth % ~74
Table % ~70
Very good symmetry and polish, no fluorescence
$7000-$10000 budget

On Saturday I went to Robbins Brothers (a large SoCal diamond wholesaler) and looked at five different stones, all in the 1.2 carat range and F or G color but with varying clarities and measurements. Here's the problem -- I had a very hard time discerning any real differences in the overall "look" of the stones! The only obvious differences were the shape; some were more rectangular than others. But in terms of brilliance and sparkle, to my eyes they all looked about the same, even one with a really big depth % and SI clarity.

I'm now more confused than ever. Should I just go for the best deal since I don't see any difference (and I'm certain neither would my girl)?

A couple other points/questions. They showed my a stone with SI 1 clarity and I really couldn't see the inclusions very well at 10x. Is an SI stone still a "quality" stone? They seem to be a little cheaper so is this a good option? Also, the stones they showed me were all around $8K, but I've seen stones online with significantly better specs for about the same money. I can't really imagine buying a stone sight-unseen based solely on numbers, but should I be worried?

I'd REALLY appreciate any help as I want to get a ring within the next two weeks. Thanks in advance!

Paul

pg_rider

Rough_Rock
Here's one from WF that, to me, SOUNDS perfect (and at a great price too). Only question is, how does it actually look? Advice please!!!
1.gif

http://whiteflash.com/princess/Princess-cut-diamond-705170.htm

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
That WF one does look nice but you still need more info - a sarin report w crown/pavillion info would help.

This stone from WF has more info (crown height) since they have it on-site. WF also offers PS members a discount - if you pay in *cash*, the discount can be up to 5% - this stone would be a little over $10K.

As far as not being able to see it before buying, that's what all this info's for
1.gif
GOG 1.31 F VVS2 not to mention good return policies.

SI1s can be eyeclean - and yes, they're still quality stones. You'd have to specify that you're looking for eyeclean from all angles/distances (usually it's judged from the top from about 12 inches away)

1.gif
Pls let us know if you have any other Qs...

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
A beginner model Ideal-Scope wuld assist you in discerning the differences in brilliancy between the various diamonds you are looking at. You won't find princess cuts that match rounds in light performance, but you will find a few that are way better than others. It is difficult to see performance with the naked eye, but it does make a difference.

researcher

Ideal_Rock
I also went to RB in San Diego as my first stop in the diamond search and thought the majority of stones looked pretty good. Trust me though--it's the lighting and the fact that they honestly have stones that don't seem to be cut as well. I recently went back with my e-ring on to look at wedding bands and my stone blew all of theirs away. My stone is an I/SI1 and looked whiter than their F colored stones because of the brilliance of my baby and the fire shooting off my stone compared to theirs was ridiculous! All I can say is THANK YOU, DENISE! I worked with Denise at WF and, thanks to her help, found the most amazing stone possible. Oh, and my stone is a 3+ ct princess. My better half was nervous about purchasing it sight unseen, but WF is great and lets you send the stone(s) you're considering to an independent appraiser in your area so you can examine it/them before purchasing. Interestingly, however, we ended up just paying for my stone without seeing it because we trusted WF. They have a great return policy, and after you've spent hours on the phone with Brian the Cutter discussing your stone there's little you won't know about it. Oh, and they will send you ideal scope images as well as close up pictures of your stone so you can really get a feel for the stone before you buy. Honestly, I can't say enough good things about WF or my experience with them. In fact, I'm currently in the process of getting my custom wedding band made by them! At any rate, if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

Here are a few other choices:

1.51 F SI1

1.51 F SI1

1.52 E SI1

1.53 F VS2

1.5 F SI1

1.54 F VS1

pg_rider

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the replies and for the links! Seems like everyone is pushing me to a 1.5 carat stone!
9.gif
Would a 1.5 have more sparkle than a 1.2?

I'm feeling a little better about going the online route, but it still seems weird...

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
well.... the 1.5 will have more surface area with which to sparkle
2.gif

seriously, check out the good old gold link - they've got oodles of info & pics on that site & will take very good care of you - i'm sure WF is good too.
you can call either or both of them & tell them your search parameters & they will try and find you a goodie
1.gif

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
Ok - here's one more... the Iscope photo/light return is yummy but that v thin to thick girdle makes me nervous - you'd have to ask barry where the v thin part is (it's a no-no at the corners). Generally speaking, there shouldn't be quite so much variation in the girdle... and the stone's a bit deep... but - ah - those pix
2.gif

Superbcert

alexah

Brilliant_Rock
One last thing - this 1.11ct Jubilee faces up bigger than the 1.25ct superbcert.... it's not a princess but it's got some amazing light return
1.gif
1.11 F VS2

researcher

Ideal_Rock
Oops! I was looking at the links which showed slightly larger stones which is why I posted ones in that range. Honestly, you'll notice a slight size difference but not much between a 1.2-1.3 and a 1.5 (especially if you find a stone that faces up larger). I'll see what I can find in your size range!

And seriously, it's good to be nervous but I think it REALLY helps to talk to the vendors. If you want to contact Denise at WF her email is [email protected].

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results