shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice on a diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ak74

Rough_Rock
GIA Report
Round Briliant
6.06 - 6.10 x 3.70 mm
0.81 carat
Crarity: VS1
Color: D
Depth: 60.9 %
Table: 56 %
Girdle: Thin, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excelent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
crown angle: 34.1
pavilion angle: 41
Inclusions: Crystal and Pinpoint on the lower left corner of the table.

Is it worth to buy this diamond for $4,068?

Thank you very much.

derekinla

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 8/3/2004 2:49:45 PM ak74 wrote:

GIA Report
Round Briliant
6.06 - 6.10 x 3.70 mm
0.81 carat
Crarity: VS1
Color: D
Depth: 60.9 %
Table: 56 %
Girdle: Thin, Faceted
Culet: None
Polish: Excelent
Symmetry: Very Good
Fluorescence: None
crown angle: 34.1
pavilion angle: 41
Inclusions: Crystal and Pinpoint on the lower left corner of the table.

Is it worth to buy this diamond for $4,068?

Thank you very much.----------------

The specs look great HCA = 1.4, The price sounds very reasonable as well. You might also want to consider the following in order to maximize the carat weight for your dollar: You can get the same "icy white" look of a D by considering color grades of F-G (even H). Most people can't tell the difference in color in the near colorless range, especially in a well cut stone (unless you hold it right next to another stone and even then it's VERY subtle). You might want loosen up on the clarity to VS2 or SI1. Most SI1's are eye clean and therefore look "flawless" to the naked eye. Good Luck!

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
Hi there,

I ran the numbers in the HCA and it came back with a score of 1.4 Ex, VG, VG, VG -TIC.

I think most people here on PS tend to like a stone with a pavillion under 41 degrees, although there are many that have 41 degree angles and are beautiful stones. Mine included. My stone actually scores a 2.1 on the HCA with a 41 degree angle on the pavillion and my stone is absolutely beautiful! I have a smaller stone that has 40.8 degree angles on the pavillion and I don't see any difference at all between the two stones with my eye.

The price doesn't sound bad as far as I can tell, but I haven't been shopping for stones in the .80 range.

Just an idea- Have you considered going slightly lower in clarity and color to get a little larger stone? In hind sight I really wish I would have gotten a SI1 instead of a VS2 and got a larger stone. I have an H and it's super white. I guess it depends on where you are comfortable. Have you looked at any stones in person? To me, a VS1 & a VS2 should look about the same. My smaller Si1 looks exactly like the VS2 to the eye. No difference what so ever except size!!

NDIrishdogg

Rough_Rock
That price isn't too bad, but from my limited consumer experience, I might suggest you thinking about dropping the color a bit and going up in size. Unless you're very sensitive to nearly imperceptible changes in color, you could easily drop to an F or G and VS2 without noticing any difference and get a larger stone. Just my .02.

ak74

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 8/3/2004 3:12:20 PM derekinla wrote:

----------------
The specs look great HCA = 1.4, The price sounds very reasonable as well. You might also want to consider the following in order to maximize the carat weight for your dollar: You can get the same 'icy white' look of a D by considering color grades of F-G (even H). Most people can't tell the difference in color in the near colorless range, especially in a well cut stone (unless you hold it right next to another stone and even then it's VERY subtle). You might want loosen up on the clarity to VS2 or SI1. Most SI1's are eye clean and therefore look 'flawless' to the naked eye. Good Luck!
----------------

Everyone, thank you very much for your input.
Actually, I am really not looking to maximize the carat weight since anything bigger than 0.85 looks very bulky on my fiance's small hand. My reasoning is that if I am going to buy a diamond, I'd rather buy something that is actually valuable and looks good, than just looks good to the eye.

MelanieC

Shiny_Rock
Nothing wrong with that either, I think we just wanted to make sure you had thought about going bigger. Actually a .85 will look perfectly lovely and just as large as most 1ct diamonds in the malls.

I have small hands too. My rings are size 4 and they still spin on my hand even with my wedding band on too. Total size of each of my rings is 4mm, so having 8mm total does help the spin some.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results