shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice choosing between 2 Octavias

xinran74

Rough_Rock
I am obssessed with the Octavias after watching GOG's amazing videos. Now I am down to 2 options from on their website:

1. 0.9 ct D VVS2 at $10842;
2. 0.99 ct G VS2 at $8892.

I know all Octavias are cut to the best optics, so light performance is guaranteed. The D is a little out of my budget, but everything is perfect with it. I like the G for its size, but I am a little concerned about it showing a tint of yellow. Can you guys (experts^ ^) give me some advice on choosing between the two please? Is the $2000 difference worth the color and clarity (but sacrafice a little in size)? Thanks!

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think G is a sweet spot too. I have a D colored pear and to be honest I think its too white (I know, I'm weird)!

RockyRacoon

Brilliant_Rock
xinran74|1424358138|3834813 said:
I am obssessed with the Octavias after watching GOG's amazing videos. Now I am down to 2 options from on their website:

1. 0.9 ct D VVS2 at $10842;
2. 0.99 ct G VS2 at $8892.

I know all Octavias are cut to the best optics, so light performance is guaranteed. The D is a little out of my budget, but everything is perfect with it. I like the G for its size, but I am a little concerned about it showing a tint of yellow. Can you guys (experts^ ^) give me some advice on choosing between the two please? Is the $2000 difference worth the color and clarity (but sacrafice a little in size)? Thanks!

To me, for the difference in price, the D-colored stone would be worthwhile. How many D-colored Octavias even exist?!

IMO, the clarity isn't as important as the difference in color.

Either one will be a winner, though!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Go with the G for sure!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'd go for the G. G color will not look yellow.I would love to own a G. Here is a side view of my I colored VSB fluor Octavia.

img_7105.jpg

img_7106.jpg

img_7109.jpg

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another vote for the G.

DF, your I is gorgeous, and you know it. :bigsmile:

DK :))

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would vote G but would go lower for size. I love high colors but in Octavia and cuts like these the size shows off the facets most, is there another lower color bigger size in your budget.

blackprophet

Brilliant_Rock
Looks like a <.2mm difference between the two (G and D) which wont be very noticeable. Really down to whether the D is worth $2000 more.

If 10000 is in your budget I would consider the 1.22 J which is almost >.5 mm bigger. Most people here would tell you a J is plenty white. You can get them to do a video comparing all three and see how the J looks as opposed to the others. And how the G and D compare to each other to see if the $2000 is worth it to you.

I suspect with the light performance of these, you win any way you go.

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
blackprophet|1424373399|3834970 said:
Looks like a <.2mm difference between the two (G and D) which wont be very noticeable. Really down to whether the D is worth $2000 more.

If 10000 is in your budget I would consider the 1.22 J which is almost >.5 mm bigger. Most people here would tell you a J is plenty white. You can get them to do a video comparing all three and see how the J looks as opposed to the others. And how the G and D compare to each other to see if the $2000 is worth it to you.

I suspect with the light performance of these, you win any way you go.

+1

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh yes, there is going to be a size difference between 5.4 and 5.6 mm, and this is coming from someone who has around a 5.5mm asscher! I would not go lower than 5.6mm as someone has already said, the bigger they are, the more you can enjoy the facet pattern. I would choose the G if the price was the same, but with the D being smaller and costing $2k more...no way!!!

Personally, I'd go for the 1 ct I VS1 at 5.7mm and less $ than the G. I see tint in J but would happily take an I especially after seeing DF's!

http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/1-02ct-i-vs1-octavia-asscher-diamond.html

xinran74

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! You guys really helped me out. I think I am gonna go with the G! I guess I will be happy with the size, color and price with the G now.

diamondseeker2006, I was in touch with GOG via email and they helped me ruled out the I because I am a little color sensitive and they say it leans towards gray and do not recommend it.

DF, the J color you have is absolutely beautiful! It is guys like you who post gorgeous pictures of Octavia made me fall in love with them!

blackprophet, I did ask GOG to post a video comparing the D and G. GOG is so efficient and helpful that they posted the video within hours I asked them to. The stones are both amazing!

pyramid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I take it you know that a well cut 1 carat round is 6.5 mm, get Good old Gold to take a comparison picture of the 1.23 ct Octavia next to the O.99ct to see the difference in the facet size. We know the stones will be cut the best so the color may surprise you. I like no lower than G also but would be tempted with a larger size in a step cut at J color but not in a round.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

xinran74

Rough_Rock
Since I am in China and people don't tend to wear large diamonds around lol, I think 1 carat is good for me now. Leaving room for upgrades in the years to come~~~

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Well done on the choice... out of the 2 i would have chosen the G! Cant wait to see how you set it!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
xinran74|1424423544|3835264 said:
Since I am in China and people don't tend to wear large diamonds around lol, I think 1 carat is good for me now. Leaving room for upgrades in the years to come~~~
The way to start a new year... :appl:

xinran74

Rough_Rock
Thank you guys sooooo much! I am thinking the classic Vatche x-prong princess for it : ) so that the stone can stand out. I have to wait till the Chinese New Year vacation over to wire the money, but I am already planning on a trip to the U.S. to pick it up maybe this April! Really excited!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is SO awesome! Happy Chinese New Year! I think you have chosen a wonderful stone! Good Old Gold is so great about helping the buyer find the right stone (as when they told you if you were color sensitive that the I color might not be for you). Just think, you may be the only person in China with an Octavia!!!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
diamondseeker2006|1424444387|3835345 said:
That is SO awesome! Happy Chinese New Year! I think you have chosen a wonderful stone! Good Old Gold is so great about helping the buyer find the right stone (as when they told you if you were color sensitive that the I color might not be for you). Just think, you may be the only person in China with an Octavia!!!
Very possible! b/c xinran's Octavia is # 29 and with only 4 left for sale at GOG that means there are only 26 other people on earth sporting an Octavia.

xinran74

Rough_Rock
Dancing Fire|1424445495|3835360 said:
Very possible! b/c xinran's Octavia is # 29 and with only 4 left for sale at GOG that means there are only 26 other people on earth sporting an Octavia.

LOL Thank you diamondseeker and DF! It probably would be the first and only Octavia in China. The cut is so unique and awesome. I believe none of my friends even know about asscher cut.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
xinran74|1424449352|3835414 said:
Dancing Fire|1424445495|3835360 said:

LOL Thank you diamondseeker and DF! It probably would be the first and only Octavia in China. The cut is so unique and awesome. I believe none of my friends even know about asscher cut.
one out of 1.3 billion people!... :-o :lol: :appl:

xinran74

Rough_Rock
Guys, one more concern if you could give me some advice. The G has some feather towards the edge according to the AGS report. Actually it is quite a few. Do you guys think they may cause possible crack or break of the stone?

Here is the link:http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-99ct-g-vs2-octavia-asscher-diamond.html

Thank you!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
xinran74|1424709282|3836956 said:
Guys, one more concern if you could give me some advice. The G has some feather towards the edge according to the AGS report. Actually it is quite a few. Do you guys think they may cause possible crack or break of the stone?

Here is the link:http://www.goodoldgold.com/ecommerce/0-99ct-g-vs2-octavia-asscher-diamond.html

Thank you!
VS stone should be fine, but if you have any concern you should ask GOG since the stone is in-house.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
My understanding is that feathers are never a durability issue in a VS stone. The one situation that I would be cautious about would be a feather or certain other inclusions in the pointed corner of a princess cut. The Octavia just doesn't have vulnerable areas like that. But by all means confirm that with GOG.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results