shape
carat
color
clarity

Need advice about resetting 3 stone w/ pear sides

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

newgirl

Rough_Rock
My fiance just gave me an engagement ring that is a three stone with center round and smaller pear sides. We had looked at tons and tons of rings together beforehand to see what I liked. He found a gorgeous center stone in the NYC diamond district. Trouble is, he also did the setting there, and it''s pretty much the opposite of what we had determined that I liked :)

I''ve been very complementary of the ring and careful of his feelings but it''s still a little frustrating, and I would love to get it re-set. We talked about it and he''d be fine with resetting after a year or so. My questions are:

1) I like stones set low but the center stone is set high. The basket (I think that''s what it''s called) is higher and doesn''t line up with the side stone baskets. Should they line up in a new setting? Or will that take away from the shine of the center stone? (I think that''s why the dealer persuaded him to set it high).

2) The entire profile is very boxy, whereas I always look at rings from the side to see if they''re pretty from that view. I''m think of eventually a bezel set, where the top of the diamonds are above the bezel, or maybe something like the Vatche pear side rings, which are gorgeous. Can side stone pears be bezel set? Any thoughts on which type of setting would look better?

3) The side pears are whiter than the center stone, and look flat & mirror-like in comparison. Is this normal?

Thanks for any and all input!

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure how to start... perhaps one of these bits falls close to an answer:

If just the lineup of the stones is unpleasant, perhaps a jeweler could change just that and keep the ring

Definitely take a look at this thread if you haven't already

Vatche's round & pear ring is pretty much the standard classic. There are lots of generic settings like that (I would imagine yours is a close vesion) but then it is up to the jeweler who puts the ring together to twack the proportions and alignment of the stones and finish the piece just so. This can always be redone, I think.

It is hard to tell what makes the sides look glassy. I would bet those are just very shallow cut. The "whiteness" might be a few things: color grade, clarity or cut... Two color grades difference would show. Also, if the center stone is cut to either too deep or too shallow proportions it would look "dark". Hard to tell which of the version holds. What are the stats of the center stone (table, & depth at least) ?

Just for refference: does this ring look ok
4.gif

3StonePearsRound.JPG

newgirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks very much for the reply, and for the thread reference.

The center stone is very well cut and is not dark. I don''t know the table & depth but I know these are excellent. I think its color is I and that the sides are (he thinks) H. Could be that there are two color grades difference though.

I wouldn''t be surprised if the pears are shallow cut, since he concentrated on the quality of the center stone. It''s hard to compare shallowness with your picture though because the baskets get in the way. Your pears definitely look more faceted/brilliant.

The original jeweler said that he could lower the center stone, but that then prongs would be thicker, which I wouldn''t want because they''re already pretty thick relative to the size of the stone. Also, since my favorite part is the center stone, it actually is nice to bring it higher than the pears, even though I originally wanted something set low. Maybe I''ll keep it as is for a while and then after a year or two have it reset by an artsier jeweler.

I''ve attached some pictures. Let me know if you have any more thoughts - they''re much appreciated.

two views.jpg

Maxine

Brilliant_Rock
Glad you located that thread, Ana....I knew it was there somewher....both options are very nice....guess it depends on your personal taste.......either way, it will make a pretty ring..
emthup.gif

Kamuelamom

Brilliant_Rock
Newgirl welcome to Pricescope! I am excited for you about your ring and can''t wait to see the pictures to understand what you are describing. The link which Ana posted to the bezel set sides have some very nice designs. I actually have the dvatche setting, but the prongs have been re done a couple of times due to design flaws when paired up with the wedding band. It was a very expensive setting I might add. In all honesty I wouldn''t go that route again. But that''s just me.

The lastest version is my ultimate favorite as I had split prongs added to it and I absolutely love it. If you are interested in seeing the actual pictures I''ll try to dig up the threads on it. Otherwise youcan just search kamuelamom, prongs (or something like that) and it should come up.

good luck. I think the bezel set sides are very pretty.

And....

That leon mege version with the pink pears are to die for!!

~kmom

35.gif

newgirl

Rough_Rock
Thanks, kamuelamom! I''ll look up those threads. Here''s another attempt to get the pictures uploaded. This time I changed the file format to pdf (let me know if you can see them, or if another format would be better).

I''m starting to get to know the ring and to be a bit more used to it. The one problem I''ve been having, though, is that the ring keeps slipping around on my finger until the diamonds are facing sideways or even sometimes straight down. I think it''s because the setting is high, so there''s more torque pulling the diamonds around.

I''m not sure if the ring size has anything to do with it, because when I get up in the morning, and my hands are a little fatter, the ring won''t come off. Anyway, it''s a bit frustrating, because it would be nice if the ring stayed upright on my hand, both because it''s prettier that way, and because it''s a little uncomfortable when the diamonds hit my pinky.

Let me know what you think about it all (setting, pear quality, slipping around).

P.S. the pears are actually a little narrower and more delicate than they appear in the top view.

Attachments

• two views.pdf
    41.6 KB · Views: 62
Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results