shape
carat
color
clarity

NEED ADVICE: 3 ct round brilliant setting

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I wanted to get advice on a setting for my upgrade - we have chosen a 3 ct round brilliant stone and now it''s time for the setting. I wanted to get something special and delicate, but also good to wear every day. I have some rings as "inspiration" that I will post, looking for input as to what will be a good mix of beauty/practicality/specialness...

The other challenge is what band to go with it.

Please excuse the multiple posts as I can only upload 1 pic per post.

Inspiration Ring 1 is from the discontinued Vera Wang line. I couldn''t find the diamond version, so here is the emerald.

3ct UG Ring_1.jpg

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Inspiration Ring 2 is a setting I found online. I love the intricate detail.

3ct UG Ring_2.jpg

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Inspiration Ring 3 is a simple halo ring. Not sure if I should get a halo setting - is it overkill with a 3 ct?

3ct UG Ring_3.jpg

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the Leon ring
30.gif
. The other two, has too much pave work going up the head, so I'm not sure if you're going to have much stone loss or issues on durabilty for everyday wear

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Inspiration Ring 4 is a Leon. I''m loving how beautiful the side is on this ring. I know some of the rings I have posted are not round brilliants. I personally LOVE how the cushion cut rings look, but we decided on getting the round brilliant stone as it is so classic and timeless. I''m thinking that maybe I can set the stone so that it has the "shape" of a cushion - e.g. a squarish halo setting set slightly below the stone?

3ct UG Ring_4.jpg

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Inspiration 5 is Ashley Judd''s GORGEOUS set. I love how this looks, but maybe with the top and bottom bands a little closer together...

Ashley00.jpg

ashleyjuddbigweb.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That''s a great size stone! I personally do think a halo is overkill on a diamond that big. I would do a nice 6 prong setting with a pave band.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Inspiration 6 is Giuliana Rancic''s ring (thanks starburst!). It''s got both the halo and the integrated bands going on.

giuliana%20ring%20sideview.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think Ashley Judd''s diamond is a 5ct cushion thereabouts so it would be a bit of a different look.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Yes, but I was thinking that if I do a 4 prong, it would give the diamond a bit more of a cushion feel. I wish I had a 5 ct cushion to work with!
31.gif

Date: 11/2/2009 1:17:34 PM
Author: Lorelei
I think Ashley Judd's diamond is a 5ct cushion thereabouts so it would be a bit of a different look.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The double split prongs as seen on the second setting can make a round diamond look a little less round to me, so that could be an option for you.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Lorelei. Posting a pic of my current ring (2 ct round brilliant). I like how the prongs alter the shape. I was thinking if I had similar prongs but with little diamonds (as in the Vera Wang) - that could give it more of a cushion look. Don''t know if the little diamonds would detract from the main diamond though.

3ct UG Current Ring.jpg

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 11/2/2009 1:41:34 PM
Author: jgny
Thanks Lorelei. Posting a pic of my current ring (2 ct round brilliant). I like how the prongs alter the shape. I was thinking if I had similar prongs but with little diamonds (as in the Vera Wang) - that could give it more of a cushion look. Don''t know if the little diamonds would detract from the main diamond though.
You are welcome! Thats a lovely ring you have there too! I think its a matter of taste, a 3 ct stone is a lot of bling in itself but just curious, are you sure you wouldn''t rather have a cushion?

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Well, I''m scared that it is a little too late. We are getting the diamond through a friend who is getting us a really good deal. So we basically agreed on it already. If I change to a cushion now, I won''t be able to see it in person as they are in a different country and I just got back. I just did a pricescope search for cushions and noticed that they cost less for same size versus the brilliant. But not sure why? Also, I am scared that with the proportions of a cushion I won''t know what is "best"".

Date: 11/2/2009 1:53:33 PM
Author: Lorelei

You are welcome! Thats a lovely ring you have there too! I think its a matter of taste, a 3 ct stone is a lot of bling in itself but just curious, are you sure you wouldn''t rather have a cushion?

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Oh wow - that is a gorgeous setting! And I love that the halo alters the look, intead of just making it bigger. I''m gonna do some research now - thanks so much for the lead...

Date: 11/2/2009 2:01:14 PM
Author: tyty333
I like
2nd, 4th and 6th settings (in no particular order). I do like when the wedding bands sit closer to the e-ring.
Have you considered a more cushion shaped delicate halo? Actually that is my favorite on a round. Here is a
link to a beautiful one.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/more-pics-of-my-new-bling.125911/

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
After reading your posts I''m thinking you may take a look at the Tacori 2620 for a RB. A few people on here have that setting.

jgny

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the input. I did research on RBs in cushion halos and came up with a couple options:

The Stardust version. Very pretty, but the 2 rows might be a bit overkill for a 3 ct.

RB with CH v1 N1626.jpg

jgny

Shiny_Rock
This Leon Mege comes quite close to what I am imagining, even though the center stone is a cushion and mine would be a RB.

Gleam

Brilliant_Rock
I actually like Inspiration #1 and #2 best. The Leon Mege are gorgeous and you can''t go wrong with those either. Personally, I don''t think the other designs (like the ones from Knox) can stand up to the others.

LGK

Ideal_Rock
I had a 3.55 ct OEC in a halo for a few years and just reset it in a non-halo setting; the halo setting was one that came with the stone, not one I chose, I should specifiy, so that makes some difference I guess, since it wasn't what I wanted to begin with. But putting it in a non-halo setting made a HUGE difference in how the stone looks. It pops *so* much more without a halo to distract from it, and it actually looks significantly bigger, which sounds counter-intuitive, but I think on a larger stone, a halo really just pulls your attention away. I think halos work best with smaller stones.

While I think cushion halos are especially gorgeous, and the settings you're looking at are all lovely, I'd go for one without a halo for a bigger stone. Just my preference, but I really can't express just how much better my stone looks sans-halo; a big stone really doesn't need, or even really look best with, a lot of window dressing.

I would say if you do decide to go for a halo setting, make sure the melee is reallllly small. The melee in my halo was mediumish size, and I think that contributed to it not being the most flattering look. The halo on my stone looked virtually identical in proportion and style to the Leon #3 pic but with two 1/3 ct haloed side stones (triple halo setting).

The Tacori setting mentioned is perhaps my very favorite halo setting ever; it's cushion shaped, and has extremely small melee, and the whole thing is lovely all together.

I'd also see if you can try on some 3ct halo settings.

The ones I like best, of the settings you posted, are Ashley Judd's first, then the #4 (Leon with no halo but sparkly basket). Then after that would be the Tacori setting, and then the cushion shaped halo Leon setting.

Lola0918

Rough_Rock
I recently tried on a Michael B Trois Cushion Halo with a RB center. It was absolutely stunning. It''s what I''m going for with some minor tweaks. I looked at the Cushion cut for the center and I just can''t turn away from the ''bang for your buck'' with a RB. Not to mention it is a timeless cut. But the cushion halo around it makes it look gorgeous.

MbCH.jpg

Lola0918

Rough_Rock
Just to add to my PP, the picture does not to it justice. I know a lot would say ''Stick a cushion cut in there and it would be stunning'' but honestly, it looked totally different in person. You don''t see the ''gaps''.

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
I would try a 3ct. halo on. I have a 2.5 ct halo in a michael b. trois setting like the one Lola posted (but round), and I find it big. It depends also on the size of your finger and your hand.

bgray

Brilliant_Rock
large stones in halos start looking like cocktail rings to me..... I think 2 carats and up can stand alone or with lovely side stones are an intricate setting. i actually prefer the first one.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results